£270 for the Old Course?

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
What's amazing here, is that on a golf forum, some golfers are actually happy, and even backing a course charging nearly £300 for a round of golf, more than many clubs charge for an entire year's golf, but this is just dandy? It's quite astonishing.

D

Deleted member 1147

I would guess that a large portion of revenue is generated over the summer, so at the December year end the business needs to be sitting on a healthy cash balance to fund winter works and cover maintenance costs.

And cash does not equal profit of course.
Of course a lot of people have no idea about accounts and finance, and this see a positive cash balance on one particular day as the be all and end all.
The balance sheet only shows the financial position in that day. They could owe £millions according to the accounts, and thus be in a very poor position.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
A simple straw poll

What would you think is the right price to pay to play The Old Course

And what’s the maximum you would pay for a round at the top courses

The £270 seems to be around the going rate for an Open championship venue, so if everyone else is charging that, why would TOC not. And of all the Open venues, TOC has something about it that none of the others have.

As for part 2 Phil, which top course? Some I'd pay a lot for, others I wouldn't set foot on if it was free. I suppose the answer to that is it depends which course. Pine Valley, Cypress Point or Royal Melbourne I'd happily pay more than the Open venues.

Does it matter? Not going to change the price and it is a consumer decision on whether you think its a price worth paying. If you do then pay the price and play if not don't. The same for any top end course.

Well apparently not to you, but given that a number of people have said that it is too expensive, it doesn't seem unreasonable for Phil to ask what people would pay.

D

Deleted member 15344

What's amazing here, is that on a golf forum, some golfers are actually happy, and even backing a course charging nearly £300 for a round of golf, more than many clubs charge for an entire year's golf, but this is just dandy? It's quite astonishing.

I don’t think it’s ever that’s black or white

I’m ok paying that level of money for the top courses because I’m paying some of the best courses in the World of Golf - most golf courses are priced relative to their quality and prestige

Memberships also have the added on location tax

D

Deleted member 1147

No courses near me charge anything near £300. Unless they’re crappy munis.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk

I think there's a (unhappy) realisation that courses will charge what they can get away with.

One variable is that some courses don't want or need visitors so price accordingly.

That leaves us all with a choice. You want to play a certain course?..... that's the price. Of course, us handing over our cash isn't compulsory either.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
So we're not golfers now, we're consumers???
Why not stick it up to £500.00 and make it really elitist??
As I said they could but has a not for profit charitable trust (some in here don't seem to understand what that means) they just need to cover their costs. And yes we are consumers, not sure how the term golfer excludes us from that title. Incidently what do the FA charge to play at Wembley.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
No courses near me charge anything near £300. Unless they’re crappy munis.
Not sure what your point is? I didn't say courses in Derby charge £300 a year., I said many courses

Within 10 miles of my front door, Inchmarlo, Torphins, Lumphanan, Tarland, Dunecht House, Paul Lawrie Golf Centre, Braemar (OK it's 40 miles but it's up the valley)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
So your post was, indeed, utter twaddle!
No mention of 'dire straits' at all!

Here's the post btw.
So who do you expect to subsidise your visit to the OC. Or would you be happy to play it with divots, pitch marks etc everywhere or bunkers that haven't been renovated in decades? To get the conditioning these top courses achieve costs alot alot of dosh, which is one reason they charge what they do. As others have pointed the OC is run by a charitable trust and beyond donating small amounts to local good courses there is no profit in the fees they charge. The OC is pretty unique in the hold it has over us with every golfer wishing to play it, until this year the trust has charged less than it could have because frankly, it didn't need the money. However, with the losses, they will have made over the last 2 years that is no longer the case. I for one do not begrudge them that, though I'm not sure I could justify paying that sort of money having already played it.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Not sure what your point is? I didn't say courses in Derby charge £300 a year., I said many courses

Within 10 miles of my front door, Inchmarlo, Torphins, Lumphanan, Tarland, Dunecht House, Paul Lawrie Golf Centre, Braemar (OK it's 40 miles but it's up the valley)
Are you not stretching it with Tarland - bit further west than the rest and 30 miles from Paul Lawrie Golf Centre ;) - nice little country nine hole course though - always had top quality greens when I lived up that way.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
So your post was, indeed, utter twaddle!
No mention of 'dire straits' at all!

Here's the post btw.
Do you ever actually read things?

"frankly, it didn't need the money. However, with the losses, they will have made over the last 2 years that its no longer the case"

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Are you not stretching it with Tarland - bit further west than the rest and 30 miles from Paul Lawrie Golf Centre ;) - nice little country nine hole course though - always had top quality greens when I lived up that way.
LOL, once I read it back I realised I was a bit out. I didn't expect anyone here to actually realise tho so thought what the hell :ROFLMAO:

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I've not played Inchmarlo or Paul Lawrie's place but I've played the rest a good few times - I was a member at Alford for years
Ah spot on (y)

possibility we know each other then, I'm only a very recent Bunchory resident.

Both those are very short nine holers, PLGC way overpriced as it's a par 3 course, Inchmarlo is good for what it is, also very short, I wouldn't class it as a full golf course either really, unlike the rest.