Your thought's on pitch and putt please.

Tigers_balls

Visit site
I would like to know how everyone in the golfing community feels about pitch and putt? I run our local pitch and putt course in Chatham, Kent and it is a beautiful par 3 course with holes ranging from 60 yards to 95 yards. I feel pitch and putt is frowned upon by 'proper golfer's' but I for one think it is a great introduction to the game for both young and old and is a marvelous way to improve your short game. It is a good stepping stone for players who are looking to take up golf permanantly but without the stuffyness and the fear of being looked down on which can occur at some proper courses. If it is going to encourage players to take up the beautiful game then it can only be a good thing.

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Tigers can't agree more, I played on a pitch and putt for many years when I was younger and this definatly got me interested in playing golf.
I believe that is why I have a sound short game.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I think they are great to work on your short game also great for a quick round and a great help to beginners. I have a pretty well kept one with hazards local and use it often.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
So far Ive found that pitch and putrt courses are pretty good for working on the short game but the greens let them down as there are usually lots of pitchmark damage or else fluffy greens. Saying that my local par three course isnt too bad actually.

Greenkeeper

Club Champion
Visit site
What a coincidence!!! I was having a very interesting conversation with the R&A on this very subject. Pitch and putts are invaluable for the development of the game. This includes, as you say youngsters, and new golfers and the dreaded short game. I know the R&A are doing a lot of work in other under developed countries to help & encourage short courses.

Personally when my short game is suffering I will take a trip down to our local Pitch and putt / par 3 course.... I will add that our local P&P is in superb condition! Some do let the reputation down slightly.

Good luck

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Most of my experiences have been of decent enough holeslet down by shabby bunkers and unplayable greens (too long, too bare or full of pitch marks).

I'm going to try one soon so I'll report back. Downshire golf course in Bracknell has one which is pretty highly rated locally so I'm going to test my short game

D

Deleted member 1147

I learned to play golf on my local P&P - from age 5.

I really enjoy a game but unfortunately comapared to a "proper" course the quality of greens really affects me. I struggle enough on decent greens!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am a great fan of par 3 courses and played my local one at Rutland Water on Sunday. It is a bit different from a pitch and putt though as holes range from 100 yards to 210 yards. Gives me a great chance to play a variety of shots and get 9 holes in when I do not have much time. I actually learned to play on that par 3 course and suspect that is why I always see par 3s on my course as scoring holes.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I live close to a beauty, Goal Farm.

Whilst I agree with the slight criticism of the greens I would challenge anyone to go round it in their handicap.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can't get enough of P & P! Love it.

(Haven't gone for years!)

Something in my memory remembers them being a cheekily expensive......

Great fun, a great way to learn and if they have real bunkers and 1/2 decent greens a good diversion for all golfers of all levels.

I want to build one, one day. Each hole a 1/4 sized replica of famous 400-500 yd golf holes.....with a near full sized green though!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
P1010011.jpg

This is my local par 3 course. Third hole, only 100 yards but big drop to the green which drops off steeply to the left and rear. The flag is to the bottom left of the picture

ColinR

Head Pro
Visit site
Pitch and Putt and par 3 courses play a vital part in getting youngsters into the game. I actually dont think there are enough of them, or enough is done to get youngsters playing.

I introduced my son to Golf last year on a local Par 3 course ( Billingbear ). One year on he is a Junior member of my club with a handicap of 25 ( rapidly reducing faster than mine !! ). Those valuable Sunday afternoons on the Par 3 course gave him a great deal of confidence. He loves his golf.

I'm now introducing my daughter to the game, she loves nothing more than coming to the driving range with me. Through the older lady members of my club she is signed up to play with a group of girls her same age about once a month on various par 3 course in the area.

so good on you Tigers_Balls ( some bleedin' name that is !! ) keep up the good work, you are appreciate by us Dads !!

Up_Point_1

Head Pro
Visit site
Pitch and putts are absolutely invaluable. To be honest I actually think there should be more of them.

The last 100 yards or so of a golf hole is where a score is made or lost. Having the facility to practise this over and over again can only be a good thing in my eyes.

DHM.

Page

Medal Winner
Visit site
great idea realgolferuk!

i've not been into golf for long but can certainly see the benefits of playing pitch and putt/par 3 courses. i used to knock around one when i were a young lad.

just a simple question: do people on here tee-up or do they hit off the ground to simulate a more realistic approach shot?