How's your season been?

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s been ok - started at 2.4 currently at 1.8

Multiple times under gross in comps to come second many times

Knocked out in club KOs in the later rounds

But played some great courses with the recent Wales trip a highlight.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Joined a club, played more than I have since I was 16 (a while ago now)

Started off with rounds hovering around 100-110, with the occasional high 90s.

Recently put in three cards for handicap, the best of which was a 93 and ended up with a 16.0 index! (I’ve never shot better than 21 over, ever).

Next challenge is to break 90, get more cards in to count towards the WHS and then see where I’m really at..

on the course I’m long and straight off the tee, but wildly erratic with everything else. Trying to get round to booking an iron-play lesson.

As an approximation initial handicaps are based upon 90% of your best card.

You will not get a 'trueish' handicap until you have about 15/16 cards in and expect it to jump all over the place until there are at least 10 unless you are fairly consistent.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Not enough golf. I've been working hard on my game and my index has dropped to 21.4. Had aimed for bogey golf by the end of the year but haven't managed to get to a course since 16th June. Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy saw to most of that (Gents, check your balls...!) and the theatres opening up again has meant I've had to do that thing called work that gets right in the way of golfing!

However overall I'm happy with my progress. I was consistently hitting low 90s through the year, so breaking that 90 barrier is definitely coming. Been having lessons with Nick Duc at Holtye and my ball striking has come on leaps and bounds. Bogey golf (and beyond!) can wait until next year, just want to get back out on the course as much as possible for the rest of the year.

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
a good year for me,

1 x 2nd place in a major
1 x win in a major
1 x win in a monthly competition

and I'm in the Final of a matchplay major competition

mostly enjoying my golf again, so maybe that helps too

Roctar

Visit site
It’s gotten to a point that all I’m competing for is Club Champs and hc.
But this year has been my first year to represent the Senior County team. Played 5 matches won 8, halved 2, won the east league and then won the final against the west. Really enjoyed playing in them looking forward to doing it again next year.

So it looks like more senior major comps and less of club comps from now on.

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seems my season is going from strength to strength.... Just carded a 6 over round of 76. What's odd is that my handicap was 7.... I shot +6 yet my handicap has gone UP from 7.2 to 8.0

Not sure I get that ...but anyway. The aim from here has got to be to see if I can't maintain this level of handicap or whether I'll settle slightly higher.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Difficult. All new clubs in the bag other than putter, and rebuilding swing with aim to build something less susceptible to the Lucy Lockets. Start of season was 8.3, now 10.5. It’ll be a while before I start turning things around, but the work in progress has almost completely eliminated my very regular (multiple every round) LLs.

I note I refer to LLs (or other equivalent euphemisms), in consideration of all those afflicted and suffering the agonies they bring - I myself have reached a point that I can talk about them as they are known to the unafflicted?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Seems my season is going from strength to strength.... Just carded a 6 over round of 76. What's odd is that my handicap was 7.... I shot +6 yet my handicap has gone UP from 7.2 to 8.0

Not sure I get that ...but anyway. The aim from here has got to be to see if I can't maintain this level of handicap or whether I'll settle slightly higher.
That's probably because WHS uses a 'moving average' method to calculate Handicap Index - average of best 8 from last 20.
So the score that 'dropped off' (now your 21st) was modt likely a 'particularly good'/even better one!
There are other possible contributors too! The Rating of the course (pretty much equivalent to the old SSS) could be less than Par (so you may be expected to score below Par to 'play to your handicap'; The Course Slope could be less than 113 (though that's both unlikely and unlikely to make a difference at your level) or the Playing Conditions Calculation for the day (the equivalent to the adjustment to turn SSS into CSS) could have been negative.
I believe most Handicap software provides charts of your last rounds and indicate which ones are used in the calculation, so you should be able to identify the one that 'dropped off'.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Been good so far, dropped from a 5 handicap under CONGU to a 3.1 HI which has gone down to 2.0 as of today .
Won a trophy in the Scottish Mixed Pairs week for best Foursomes round of the week.
Won the Mixed Foursomes Summer Knockout and today the Mixed Foursomes Medal for the Grace Elizabeth Cup , both of which are Board Comps.
Played County Seniors golf and beat local rivals Staffordshire ;):LOL:

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Played 20 rounds since the 1st April. Gone from 20 to 14.5, although I'd been as low as 16 before this season.

Played really well and save 3 holes in three separate rounds where I shot a couple of 9's and a 10, I'd probably be lower still.

Driver lessons for me over winter.

peld

Visit site
Gone from 15.4 down to 12.5.
Fairly good season. In competition I have only had one or two really poor round, otherwise shot close to, or mostly better than handicap.
Frustrating thing has been this year is that ive had periods where i've never struck the ball as well in my life - e.g. last bank holiday monday i played a 9 level par - yet I cant seem to keep hold of that for a round or two, then im back to my "mostly bogey" golf

Springveldt

Visit site
Started the season at 7.2 and I'm currently 6.0 with 4 scores to drop off before I get to a counting score.

If I had to use one word to describe my season it would be "Frustration". It's easily the most consistent I've been since I took the game up again 5 years ago but I've thrown away so many chances to shoot a proper good score. I've turned what coulda/shoulda been 74 into 78 and 76 into 81 so many times this year with a lack of concentration/counting my score before I finish/just plain bottling it. Even the other week I was 3 over with 4 to play and finished treble, par, double, double. In my 20 rounds I have a 77, 4x78,2x79 and an 80 counting with 4x81 and 2x82 in the non-counting section.

Even with that I'm really pleased with how the season has gone considering I've spent all of 10 minutes practicing. I just don't have the time to practice currently, it's show up 20 minutes before tee time, spend 5 minutes putting to get the pace, 3 minutes hitting into a net, 2 minutes to pay in then 5 minutes chipping before walking onto the tee box.

TexasLowHandiCap

Visit site
How's your season been so far? What have you done differently to go up/down? What have you learnt?

I started my year off at 13.6 and am currently at 7.2.... somewhere I never thought I'd get to without a lot of hard work, but I did 2 things which have made a massive difference to me.

1. I've been a member of a pitch and putt course for last 2 years... During lockdowns I played it as much as I could and my short game and approach play has improved a lot.

2. And this is a BIG one for me.... I did the aimpoint putting course over the summer and despite what some people say/said about it.... They couldn't have been more wrong. It's tightened my putting game drastically.

So where do I go from here.... Not sure, golf is a casual fun game for me and I'm not interested in competing, so I guess keep having fun and see where else the enjoyment takes me.

So what about you?
After 20 Years of not Playing. Torn Rotator Cuff. I played scratch back in 2001. I picked up my clubs in June. Found a Golf Coach. After 7 lessons in the Last couple of months and Hitting 1000 golf balls on the Range. I am playing Scratch Again. At the Age of 61. I can still Play. I get a lot of Heat for playing off the Seniors Tee Box. Honestly. I earned the Right to be there. I missed the Game So much. I was shocked that my short game Never left me. I still take 2 hours hitting a Large Bucket of Balls. A Pre Shot Routine is Every thing. I just can't step up to a ball and Hit it. Does not work for me. Love this Game.

AliMc

Visit site
Started off 8 pre whs, got down to hi 4.8 and now back up to 5.8, only played a couple of medals (but took £50 the other week in 'beat the pro') played a few scrambles taking the place in a regular 4 with one guy out having a knee replacement, good fun without any chance of winning off 4 or 5, looking forward to autumn/winter golf at Dunbar where the course is generally in fantastic condition, most of the group I play with should return from playing opens etc and we will get some great 4 balls, get those mats looked out and see the hi tumbling down !

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
This season is noticeably better than last in that last year, I didn't play at all.

The course was open, but the clubhouse wasn't. With strict covid protocols, I just stayed home rather than compromise.
With the mutated variants, covid seems just as bad this year, but at least the whole club is inoculated.
And at some point, one just says, Nobody lives forever.

D

Deleted member 21258

Been great, played enough, enjoyed golf since lockdown. The rest is noise.

Also got more shots to play with.;)

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Set myself some goals in May - break 90, win a comp and get handicap down to 20 (it was 24.5 at the time). Have achieved the first 2 goals and am hopefully closing in on the third - got a cut of 0.6 overnight, taking me down to 21.5. Am happy with that as have only played 12 comps in that time.

Cut to 19.9 overnight after winning yesterday's comp with another sub-90 round, so all 3 goals well and truly achieved, happy days indeed!

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can post now.
Winner of senior men's match play KO and board comp to boot so have finally done that.
Handicap down to 12.9 so chuffed with that too.
A nice pick up in the mixed at Lancaster for 5th place. A win on two raffles at mixed comps. A bottle of wine at Leamington spa and a round for two at Delamere Forrest, wonderful course, on my birthday.