Your Season Review

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
My season is now at an end and despite not winning the medal final yesterday (I finished net -2 and winner finished net -7 :eek:) I am now due a healthy cut as I hit a 9 on a par 4 during that round :clap:

So in a fiendish way of including everyone else in this "me me me" thread, let's here your best and worse moments from this season.

Did you hit your target?

I aimed at the start of my first golf season to get from 28 to 18. I managed to get an initial handicap of 24 off the yellow tees and struggled for 6 months to play to this. Got some lessons and my handicap is now tumbling. Went to 22.2 and now it looks like I'll be getting a 1.6 cut. Still overambitious at the start of the year. FAIL.

Best Shot of the Year

Not too many to mention that I actually meant! Stuck behind a tree on the left side of the fairway in the rough. Pulled out a hybrid and hooked the heck out of it, ran between the small gap between two greenside bunkers and on to the fringe of the green from 200 yards. That was a 'close your eyes and swing fast' moment.

Worst shot of the Year

I've had some really honking drives, chips and putts (naturally) in my first year. I'd have to say that walking off with a double bogey on a par 5 where I got to within 30 feet of the green in 2 shots was a particular low-light.

Best off-course golfing moment (range / lessons / purchases etc)

Meeting James in Gatwick for a day. Enough has been picked over in a previous thread but irrelevant of whether his methods 'work' or not, I'm just a guy who loves hitting golf balls. This was great fun! You can make up your own mind about the effectiveness of this one session but I went there as a struggling 24 handicapper and a month later find myself down to 20.6, still leaving over 10 super easy shots out there.

Best Golfing Experience

What a first year I've had- I've been spoiled. I got invited to GM and Odyssey's "Britain's Best Putter" regional event at Haggs Castle, Glasgow which was fab and had a fun round with Farneyman and Bigslice- two smashing guys. Played Carnoustie with Richart and Co. which was awesome but the weather was not conducive to giving the course our best swings.

Best has to be GM's Ping Pro Am Challenge The whole 2 days were superb including a great bevvy-up the night before and then a superbly organised event the next day at Gainsborough playing with Tom Lewis. Being drawn to play with AmandaJR was the icing on the cake ;)-the first and only time I've played with someone of the fairer sex.

Bargain of the Year

2 forged wedges and a pair of Nike Shoes for £20. Nuff said.

If I could go back to the start of the year and give myself advice, it would be...

Spend more time on the course than on the range.

Let's hear what you have GM-land.

Last edited:

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great work on the handicap!

We will get another game sorted in 2014.

Did you hit your target?

Nope started at 13 and ended at 13 Target 9

Best Shot of the Year

Couple drives in recent weeks have flew past previous best with nice controlled right to left shape.

Worst shot of the Year

Don't remember any ;)

Getting my 5 y/o up to driving range for the first time and hitting 50 balls each.

Best Golfing Experience

Machrihanish Dunes a couple of weeks ago. Weather and course conditions were perfect.

Bargain of the Year

Titleist 910D Drive "borrowed" from my father in law.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Did you hit your target?

To be honest, I didn't really set myself an official target this year. With having a series of lesson just prior to the season kicking off I decided to set myself the target of keeping my handicap at 16.

With me finishing the season on 13.8 and my seasons scoring should see me into the annual review, I pretty much exceeded any target I set for this year.

Best Shot of the Year

A 4 wood, from the deck into a par 5, from 225, over water in front of the green to about 20ft in 2. That's the only one I remember that would win hands down. I've hit a few good shots but his is definitely the best of the bunch.

Worst shot of the Year

After hitting a lovely drive to prime position on nasty par 5, I knew I should have pulled a mid iron and layer up, but pulled the same 4 wood as I hit my best shot with and proceeded to hit a huge hook into the bundu! I did well, do escape with a double.

Best off-course golfing moment (range / lessons / purchases

Getting custom fitted for the for irons and wedges for the first time. This really opened my eyes to what's involved In a good club fitting.

Walked away happy and haven't looked back. The clubs perform well and give me the confidence to hit them knowing they are to my spec.

Best Golfing Experience

Taking lessons for the first time. No way could I have improved on my previous handicap if I hadn't. Chris, my pro, took my swing to pieces and build me back me up literally from scratch.

It wasn't easy, sometimes it was down right frustrating, but after a few months the fruits began to show and my all round play has never been as good as it is now. My swing ismore repeatable and my bad shots no where near as severe as they were.

I'll soon be heading back for more coaching. This time working on fine tuning what I have and short game inside 120 and green side.

I'm looking forward to taking a step back so I can take 3 forward in the long run.

Bargain of the Year

I've had a few bargains this year.

Firstly my irons and wedges. MP63 irons and T4 wedges, fitted, for £590. Ok, ok not bargain a basement but when you consider the 63's were retailing for more than the total at the start of the year, I thought I did well :mad:

My current Titleist bag. Picked it up for less than £60 from a reputable online company, when it still retails for £90 in American Golf.

I suppose I could throw in my 910D2 as a bargain at £120 brand new, but then again they are dropping in price now anyways, but it was a definite bargain at the time.

If I could go back to the start of the year and give myself advice, it would be...

I'd give myself a few snippets of advice actually.

Be patient. Improvements from lessons will come, just keep going through the drills and hitting balls.

When you're injured, rest. Sounds simple, but the desire to play sometimes means not listening to my body. Next year when I get a niggle I will rest it, instead of compounding the issue.

Really good thread that Virt'. Thanks for posting :thup:

Last edited:

Sir Scoop-A-Lot

Head Pro
Visit site
This is my first season as a golfer, had some great times and sad times alike!

Did you hit your target?

Unfortunately not, aim was to have an initial official handicap lower than a 28. Didnt quite cut it.

Best Shot of the Year

Played at Blue Mountain GC near me with three friends and absolutely creamed a drive on a par 4 straight to the green within 8 feet of the hole. Sadly my putting let me down and only managed a birdie but felt great after.

Worst shot of the Year

Well I'm not Sir Scoop-A-Lot for nothing, first tee shot in my first ever club competition was scooped straight up and left to end up over the course boundary and into the road next door. Very embarrassing!

Top Golf in Surrey, great night out with friends and their partners and includes golf!

Best Golfing Experience

Being able to attend the BMW Championship at Wentworth earlier this year.

Bargain of the Year

Custom shaft on my driver (£40), best golf money I ever spent!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
[Did you hit your target?

Began on 5(5.4), wanted 4, finished on 6(5.8) althouigh we are having qualifiers all through the Winter...

Best Shot of the Year

Nailing a 3 iron into 190 the wind to set up a birdie on our 18th.:thup:

Worst shot of the Year

They are all permanently erased from my memory - I now have a lot of space in the memory banks....:mmm:

Best off-course golfing moment (range / lessons / purchases

The last week and a half - finally finding a driver I seem to be able to keep in the same time zone it began in....:clap:

Best Golfing Experience

Probably West Hill on H4H day.
Played like a prat but it was a wonderful day:cheers:

Bargain of the Year

Picking up a pair of Cleveland Launcher fairways at AG the other day for 60 quid. IN the bag and going long and straight.:fore:

Try a Cleveland Classic XL Custom Driver NOW!:thup::clap::thup:

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
In January played the best golf of my life, virtually every day and under a handicap system that rewarded my good play with a reduction to 2.8 :clap:

However since then it's all been down hill ( return from NZ). 4 week break and the long UK Winter saw me with 6.0 handicap at my new club.

Worked at my game and started to hit some mid 70 scores in bounce games and hit a 3 over gross on 31st May but was admitted to hospital that night with septicemia and due to the finger surgery http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/sh...-for-a-week-and-no-golf-for-possibly-2-months didn't play for some time, argh.

Also since then have had big toe nail on right foot removed , hopefully killed off and now for the last 2 weeks lower back pain on strong painkilllers and Physio.

Only high point has been shooting 75 round Carden Park before the back crapped out.....

Roll on 2014, it surely cant get any worse ???

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
[Best off-course golfing moment (range / lessons / purchases

The last week and a half - finally finding a driver I seem to be able to keep in the same time zone it began in....:clap:

Oooh!, I'll be looking out for this on Saturday at Brampton Park.... :thup: :D

(I'm thinking now that maybe I shouldn't post my season's review until after the 2nd..... )

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Did you hit your target?

Just might, I wanted single figures and after putting my card in fron HFH I will get there if they accept it for handicapping

Best Shot of the Year

A fair few to pick from but at the Ping ProAm I got a flyer about 20yards past the pin into doo doos, had a tree affecting my backswing, a hillock to go over and a bunker to fly with the pin tight to the bunker and nutted it to about 10ft. Matthew Nixon the tour pro wandered over and was extremely complimentary.

Worst shot of the Year

Again loads. But missed several 1 to 2 ft putts and had to work on that aspect of my game seriously

Being invited to PingPro am and meeting the GM Guys as well as Virtuocity, Mattyboy and Pieman

Best Golfing Experience

The Ping ProAm, Woburn meet, beating a PGA pro on the Kings Course at Gleneagles, and probably topping it was, winning the Help for Heroes meet at West Hill but all in all a great year.

Bargain of the Year

My current Ping G15 driver......... £56 on Ebay

I just hope that the old battered body lasts out for another year or two!

Crawfy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hit Target ? Yes - broke single figures in August
Best Shot? 8 iron to four feet at Par 3 in howling gale and driving rain a Mach Dunes
Worst? Some clutch putts which should have dropped
Best Golf Experience - Nearly being blown off the face of the planet at MachDunes or sunshine golf in Belek
Best off-course? My Trackman wedge session with Stuart Williamson @ Clydeway Golf
Bargain? Nike Hyperadapt Jacket for £75
Advice ? Doing Trackman earlier in season
2014 goal ? Improved putting and <8 hcap

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Did you hit your target?

Started on 14.4 and finished on 9.3.... I actually gave myself a target of 11 or 12 and wasnt expecting much..... My Pro said i should easily reach 7 or 8 but i think he was being over realistic.......

Best Shot of the Year

In the Scratch Cup i won it was my approach shot after a safe 4 iron off the tee (which i didnt get all of) on our 320 mtr Par 4 1st....
It left me with roughly 170mtrs to the flag..... I thought ill hit a 7 iron and take the front bunkers out of play... It should leave a handy 25mtr pitch to the Pin...... I had a slight helping breeze and hit the 7 iron to 6ft... Knocked in the putt for a birdie to start off a round that was to see me break 80 for the first time ever......

Worst shot of the Year

A topped 3 wood on our 197mtr 13th Par 3 two weeks ago..... Its all carry i was 4 over gross on the tee i our stableford and i topped it into the cabbage about 15ft in front of the tee box never to be found again.....

Figuring out how to hit a draw during a course of lessons after hitting fades and slices since i first picked up a club....

Best Golfing Experience

Playing Pierce Purcell Cup for my Club and standing on the 18th all square in our foursomes match.... I hit a big high draw that travelled out to 280 yards off the tee and put the pressure straight on the team against us..... They drove into the trees pulled off a miracle 2nd that saw them airmail the green... We were dancing and i lipped the hole from about 30ft downhill to win the hole and our match... They chipped in to about 12ft... I left my partner 5ft uphill and he rattled the back of the cup..... They missed theirs... We won the match 3 and 2.... Best feeling i ever had playing the game and the most nerve racking one..... A great experience though....

Bargain of the Year

Probably the New Galvin Green Gore Tex top i bought Friday.....

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Did you hit your target?

Yes! Target was single figures, started on 11.3 and after a horrendous start to the saeaon I climbed up to 12.0 and felt I was going to hit 13 by season end. Started to find some form around July time and was on 9.9 come the last qualifier of the year so I needed 3 under handicap, came in on 3 under handicap and CSS went up one so dropped to 9.1 and then got an ESR to 8.6, very happy.

Best Shot of the Year

Having pulled my tee shot onto the next fairway, I hit a 200+ yard hybrid, blind over some tall conifers, to 4 feet, missed the birdie but went on to score a PB 78 6 over gross and win a club major.
That would be the single shot but what has seen my turn-around in form has been my driver shape changing from a fade/slice to a draw.

Worst shot of the Year

Lots to choose from but probably the one that annoyed me most was in a B-Team match, all square playing th 16th, I'd hit a perfect drive and had 70 yards to go to carry the front bunker, the perfect length for my sand wedge, but I tried to give it a little more and thinned it over the back of the green and we lost the hole and on the next one the match.

Golf Monthly / Titleist Ball fitting at the Belfry, we were really well looked after and all had an individual short game lesson from Jonathan Yarwood and after the fitting we got a round on the Brabazon. I'm sure that using the ProV1 has been a big factor in my good year.

Best Golfing Experience

As above.

Bargain of the Year

Haven't bought any clubs, in fact I can't think of a golfing purchase of any significance, my Odyssey pitch mark repairer has been a joy to use but that was a Christmas present.
I'll have to say my Pac Mac rain cover for my bag, £13.99 delivered from the bay, I can see it getting a lot of use over the next 4 or 5 months.

Keep that right upper arm closer to your body on the backswing and you'll stop slicing your driver and longer clubs!

It's been a great year all round really.

m9wst

Head Pro
Visit site
Did you hit your target?

I didn't set a target, wasn't really sure how much golf i would be playing when the year began, but my handicap has tumbled from a high of 16.2 to its current state of 6.0, far beyond any expectations i had.

Best shot of the year

Playing in a work thing a few months back, hit a 3 wood into some well grown trees on the right, had 199 bushnell yards to a back left pin but no direct route, options were pretty much chip out sideways or try smash a 4 iron low and hooking...went for the latter and nailed it, finished about 15ft away.

Worst shot of the year

In the same work thing i'd got on the par 5 18th in two, leaving a slippery 25ft dowhiller...made 5. First putt went a good 8ft by, second didnt touch the hole. Either of those really.

Purchases. Bought my i20 driver last year, this year everything else has been replaced, the outgoing equipment was a good ten years old though. Also got a motocaddy trolley too. I'd like to think the purchases had a hand in the handicap reductions.

Best Golfing Experience

Probably going to the BMW at Wentworth, first time i've ever been to see live golf, went on the friday when the weather was rough. It was good to see how the pros dealt with it.

Bargain of the Year

Double cheeseburger for 1.49!:D

Either my Nike Ltd Ed 3 wood for £80 or my Nike Method putter at £50 both new.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Did you hit your target?I didn't set a target, wasn't really sure how much golf i would be playing when the year began, but my handicap has tumbled from a high of 16.2 to its current state of 6.0, far beyond any expectations i had.

Very well played! :thup::clap::clap:

That is a magnificent reduction.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Did you hit your target?

Not at all. Was trying to get down towards 5 but with spending most of the summer away working only played 3 comps. But I am playing under my handicap all the time.

Best Shot of the Year

260 yard smash with a 3 wood that hit the flag and ended up 12 inches away [/FONT]:eek:[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]

Worst shot of the Year

Shanking a PW from 140 yards that nearly hit the ladies captain that was teeing off 50 yards right of target......OOPS

The service I received at Thorpe Wood American Golf. Best custom fitting session I have ever had.

Best Golfing Experience

Getting picked for the Ping Scottsdale TR putter fitting at the Forest Of Arden thanks Golf Monthly.[/FONT]:thup:[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]

Bargain of the Year

All the mizzy kit that is in my bag now. 2 MP-H4s, JPX825 Pro 4i-PW and 2 MP-T4 wedges custom fitted and upgraded with multi compound white out grips, all for £830

[/FONT]To have played more comps so my handicap would have come down.

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did you hit your target?

Yes, set myself 18, got to 18.2 but consecutive 0.1's took me to 18.6, then one great round cut me to 17.7

Best Shot of the Year

Any approach that left me a bidie put or better

Worst shot of the Year

Too many to mention

Custom fitting at Orka Golf,

Best Golfing Experience

Organizing Woburn was a highlight for me, two great courses and great company to match.

Bargain of the Year

Two one hour lessons for £25 courtsy of Groupon, my Orka clubs, and just recently a dozen Wilson FG Tour golf balls for £15

Don't play GM Bandits for money

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Here is my season........

Outside the qualifiers at my own course though i've had my favourite season to date. Met some cracking people from all over the UK , played 17 new courses (Royal Birkdale, Delamere, Moortown and Wallasey to name a few), we held our first "North West Order of Merit" made up of forumers and all indications show that the winter and next Summer are going to be the same.

[/B]Did you hit your target?[/B]

Yes, I wanted to get to 9, 8 was my stretch target and I just missed out

Best Shot of the Year

Held a 230 yard 4 wood for an Albatross on our 15th hole !!!!

Worst shot of the Year

Snap hooking one OOB on our par 5 18th when I was having my best ever medal round. Ended up with a 7 for a 79 gross.

Being fitted for a TM SLDR courtesy of GM at Wentworth !!

That and going out on the beers in York with other forummers whilst on an end of season shindig

Best Golfing Experience

Playing Royal Birkdale for the first time. 3 and a bit hours went by in the blink of an eye and I could have just walked off the 18th and straight back onto the first tee.

Bargain of the Year

Green fee's at Wallasey and Manchester GC in their open competitions.

Stop tinkering with my swing and work with what I've got.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Did you hit your target?

Yep - exceeded expectations having moved to a new, tougher course. Started on 12 and would have taken staying there so a drop to 10 is very pleasing.

Best Shot of the Year

Too many to pcik just one :)

Worst shot of the Year

Nothing stands out but putting remains my weakness.

In a lesson working on swing path with a 7 iron. Hit such a beauty that my coach stopped the lesson to high five me. Even more pleasing was repeating it with the next few!

Best Golfing Experience

Playing The Old Course. So much history and it just felt special and we were all emotional on the 18th green (apart from the caddies). Closely followed by 18 holes with Virtuocity at Gainsborough - oh and Tom Lewis of course :cool:

Bargain of the Year

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 and 5 woods - £30 each off Ebay. Sold my G20's and have never looked back - these woods really suit me.

Spend more time practicing putting...a lot more time.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Did you hit your target?

Yes and no.

I wanted to get into a cat 1 handicap but finished almost exactly where I started.

But I retained my club championship and qualified for the match play section of the county championship

Best Shot of the Year

Holed a nine iron for an eagle 2 during a big local inter club competition.

Worst shot of the Year

Quite a few but the comedy stand out one was a tee shot on the 18th at my home club. Hit a duck hook into the trees which took a solid bounce off one of the trees and ricocheted about 30 yards behind me. Played my second shot from the second fairway which runs perpendicular and behind the 18th. :mmm:

Visited the women's open at St. Andrews and saw some amazing women playing a different game to me; but shows what is possible!

Also got a free lesson there which has gone a long way to transforming my ball striking.

Best Golfing Experience

Forum meet at muirfield.

Bargain of the Year

Played Carnoustie championship course for £20

Don't neglect short game practice while working on long game.... and vice versa!

Last edited:

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Did you hit your target?

No. Wanted to finish the season as I started - 2 h'cap - after hitting the ball as bad as I have for 10years yesterday, I've crept up to 3.

Best Shot of the Year

A hybrid from under (and in) the trees in a club 4somes. The team capt raced after my partners hooked drive, when I got there he said to best chip out as no real shot. Had to down to almost on the graphite to get a swing and hit a 170yd punched cut onto the front edge.

Worst shot of the Year

Any one from a horrific selection of pitches in the early part of the season, just dreadful. had to teach myself how to pitch 1/2 way through the year.

The lunches @ StGeorges Hill or Hankley - extra notch on the belt required

Best Golfing Experience

St Georges Hill - idyllic

Bargain of the Year

A choice from 2 vokeys for £30, st Georges hill, Hankley & Liphook for less than 1/2 price

Smash it harder obviously!! ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Did you hit your target?
Epic fail. Started at 10.1 and ready to kick on to single figures. Dream as far away as ever on 11.2. Hitting it better but lost the art of making a score and capitalising on the better strikes or scrambling on days when I don't hit it as well

Best Shot of the Year

Hit a lot of good shots despite the glass half empty feel to some posts this year. Enjoyed the tee shot off the first at H4H recently with the pro, snapper and another group watching to set up a green in regulation

Worst shot of the Year

I've had some crap drives usually when going along well. Arguable a shot at the 14th. Having gone left with a hooked tee shot I took an unplayable and then carved the 3rd right and OB on way to a card killing 9

My teaching pro has got me understanding the swing path for MY swing and the ball striking is chalk and cheese compared to a year ago. Best buy would be the pro core golf fitted inside my putter. Feel and pace on off centre puts better and makes longer distance putting much easier

Best Golfing Experience

H4H. Great value thanks to West Hills generosity and superbly organised by everyone involved

Bargain of the Year

My bag full of Ping. Should have got them years ago

Trust the swing.....And you can chip