Your luckiest shot ever

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Probably been done 100 times before.

My luckiest shot- playing in a wee day out with the boys. Closest to pin comp on 18th. Short par 3. Pin on right middle. Pulled my PW towards middle of the green. Hit a tee peg which was marked as current closest to the hole. Deflected right and left me a few feet away. Won the medal.

Go on then.....

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Duffed a tee shot about 50 yards on a short par 4. Then proceeded to thin a 3wood that gave me an eagle.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Not sure what mine is, but a couple of years back I was playing in a comp with a good mate - he's a bit of a redneck type, likes a beer and a laugh on the course but great company.

We were playing the 14th, long par 4 - island green, and he was on the wrong fairway with a pulled tee shot from his drive. Had to lay up back on the fairway with his 2nd with no chance of reaching the green. I was waiting by his ball when he walked over and said "I'm knocking this in for a birdie"

Proceeded to thin a wedge from about 80 yards, it skipped on the green a couple of times whilst still travelling, hit the flag and dropped in the hole. Spawny basta....

D

Deleted member 1740

My one and only Hole in one on the 4th at Eccleston Park.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I think of my favorable shots as good more than lucky. They're very definitely lucky, but I try to think of them as just good shots.

However, I can definitely point out my unluckiest shot. We have two very short (460 yards) par 5s that come up back to back on our course, each a dogleg in the opposite direction.

The dog leg left is the tougher hole because the corner is defined by very tall trees, and it's really hard to hit a draw that high. I have to lay up a bit not to hit through the fairway since I can't turn the corner. Thus the hole, as short as it is, remains a three shotter for me. [This by the way, was after I retired--I retired at 55-- but still several years ago when I hit the ball a little further.]

The dog leg right is a much easier hole. The drive is over water and one can banana the shot as much as one likes and keep the ball dry save for terrible luck. I've hit middle irons into that green and have once made a double eagle there. But I was going through a short spell of bad luck on a hole where making six has one contemplating either suicide or giving up the game, whichever way one is leaning. I went several rounds without cranking a really good drive from that tee. Then I hit one perfectly. Two-putt-birdie is the worst likely result the way I hit that drive......except that the drive hit a flying goose right in the head, ball and goose both dropping lifelessly into the water.

I was more upset about killing the goose than I was about ending my cold streak on that hole, of course. It was bad enough for me that I took a few days off from the club.

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
We were getting renovations done to our course so there was a pile of rubble to the right hand side of the 18th green. It ran from greenside to about 70 yards back down the fairway.

I was 1 up going down the last. My drive hit a tree which left me 200+ out. I massively sliced a 3 wood that bounced of the rubble and landed within 5 feet of the hole. Ended up with a birdie.

Wolf

Visit site
Don't really know what my luckiest shot is over the years probably been plenty of them. But the luckiest shot I've witnessed was back in my junior days, lad I was playing in Junior medal with on our par 3 18th hole semi shanked his tee shot which hit a tree about 15 yards wide of the green, ricocheted off it back towards the green somehow not only missing the pond between the green and said tree by no more than a foot, to land on the green which the ball then ran across the length of the green and dropped centre cup for a hole in 1. To this day remains the most ridiculous hole in 1 I've ever seen.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
My luckiest shot was a tee shot at the 5th hole at Clober. It's a 115 yards with OB left and a fairly wide burn right. The burn winds in front of the tee and down the right hand side of the green. Pic shows OB wall and the burn surrounding the green.

It's a real menace of a hole for some people, even though it's short as they just never feel comfortable with problems right and left and there's not really a bail out.

Anyway, tee shot ended up right in the middle of the burn. Hit a rock that was only partially submerged and plopped up into the air, right into the centre of the green.

Clober 5th.jpg

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's very hard to pinpoint one as THE luckiest. I've had thin bullets from 90 yards that hit the pin head-on and end up 3 feet away. I've had drives that were on their way out of bounds hit a tree and come back onto the fairway. I seem to remember one chip that I'd hit way too hard but it struck my Uncle's golf ball on the green and stopped only about 4 foot past.

Another stroke of luck was at Wexham, the 11th I think is a quite long par 3, but there's a fence down the right of the tee box that says if you strike this fence you retake your shot for free. I'm hitting hybrid and hit a pretty awful slice straight into this fence. Tee up again as instructed and hit a sweet one up on the green for an easy par.

I vaguely remember another one as well, can't remember the course unfortunately but I was hitting a 7 iron I think, I thinned the life out of it and pulled it left as well, but there was a bank left of the green, hit that at the perfect angle which slowed it down and rolled it back round towards the pin and it finished tap-in distance away. My mates were really pleased for me, obviously. :ROFLMAO:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Playing in the County Championship at Salisbury in the 1980's.
Playing with the favourite so under pressure, good start then at about the 7th hole I completely knurdled a drive a into unplayable thicket at the end of the tee.
Blocked my three off the tee miles right and it was sailing over the racecourse to OOB,
Ball hits furlong post about 8 feet up and Rick'o Shays back onto the gallops.
Decent lie, mid iron to 6 feet and holed the putt for a one over 5.
Finished the round in mid 70's.:LOL:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
There are lucky shots and there are flukes. Can't think of the flukes - but just on Saturday I had 'luckies' on two holes I caught 150yd shots thin and they both ended up about 4ft from the hole. Sank the putts for birdies.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When I was very early in my golf venture one of my first birdie's I hit a thin pull that was going miles left it hit a tree ran into the green and then into the hole.
It was also for quite a few years the longest shot I had sunk at about 60 yds.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
A PP pal of mine ( Nige) always seems to get the rub of the green, everything that’s going oob seems to find its way onto the fairway. He once hit an horrendous drive on our shortest par 4 eight hole. It bounced 100 yds up the rd and the last bounce kicked it onto the course. He smashed it 200 yd second shot onto the green and birdied it.
last Thursday another PP said can I have a go with your driver Nige, smashed it miles right which hit the only tree and ended up in the middle of the fairway. Lucky Nigel was the comment again.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Flukiest shot I've ever seen was in a scratch foursomes Bristol and Avon District league match away at Shirehampton.

On a par 3 our opponents hit their tee shot well wide and heading out of bounds. The ball luckily clattered hard the trees lining the out of bounds which pinged it back towards the green. It dropped on the downslope the green-side of a greenside bunker - fired across the green - clattered the flag, and dropped into the hole.

We lost the hole. I think we won the match though.

On our own track Filton. There was a 3-4ft gap in a lateral hedge. My tee-shot line was over the gap. The number of times I didn't quite catch my tee shot and it flew through the gap. My mate reckoned I was the luckiest player he played with (I was certainly the player he played most with). I reckoned I just hit it straight. So no luck there.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I hit a shot that hit the captain's wife right in between the legs. It was lucky because an hour earlier, my head was there.

c Jimmy Tarbuck, 1986.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Most embarrassing was a tee shot on the 1st at Hindhead that ended up under the bench at the side of the tee. It was also a lucky shot as it missed everyone who was standing there - and they seemed to find it all very funny...:)

D

Deleted member 21258

Whilst playing North Berwick 14th, I carved a drive miles right and went flying over the wall and into a large houses garden iirc. Thought it was a goner.

Next thing we saw was a lady chucking the ball back into play. Went on to win the hole with a par. Thank you lady.:giggle:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Whilst playing North Berwick 14th, I carved a drive miles right and went flying over the wall and into a large houses garden iirc. Thought it was a goner.

Next thing we saw was a lady chucking the ball back into play. Went on to win the hole with a par. Thank you lady.:giggle:
Did same thing on 18th at my track three weeks ago. I could see my ball sitting in the middle of the front lawn. I left it there...