Your clubs comp schedule and qualifying?

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
Ok I moved clubs earlier this year after having a year out due to family commitments so needed somthing on my doorstep so I can get down there when the kids are in bed to practice ect.im just shocked at how little effort is made with the men’s comps you got the sat comp and that’s it .if your in the women’s or seniors sections it’s great they seem to have 3 comps a week on.weekend and a couple through the week.also found out that the comps throughout winter are all none qualifying is this the norm?ok it’s mats and preffered lie but that’s the same for everyone so no one is at a disadvantage.im starting to realise how Mickey Mouse my new club is compared to the championship links I left which is about 20mins down the road instead of 5mins ok the links was £100 more a year but when you look at the overall facilities,grass range ,putting chipping areas par 3 course and then the champ 18 also all sorts of comps running including mid week stablfords .I’m beginning to regret my move and thinking about going back to my old club next season .how do other people’s clubs run?do they have mid week comps and handicap qualifying all year ?cheers in advance

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
i always check the competition Rota before I move clubs.
I have some nice clubs near me I’d be a member of IF they had more than the weekly, or in one case, a monthly medal.

Current club has qualifiers Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday for men.

D

Deleted member 15344

i always check the competition Rota before I move clubs.
I have some nice clubs near me I’d be a member of IF they had more than the weekly, or in one case, a monthly medal.

Current club has qualifiers Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday for men.
So the guys who play at weekends can only play in qualifiers ? Is there no time for social golf with your mates which for me is the backbone of being a member - swindles or rolls ups - 4 BBB’s within rbe swindles etc

We try and find a balance between social and competitive golf

Ensure that at least one day at the weekend is free for social golf - there is prob three qualifiers regular each month one on a Saturday , one on a Sunday and one on a Wednesday then each month there will also prob be a board event ,plus club matches and also club KO’s - if every weekend was filled with qualifiers many members would leave

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
As a non-Senior 5 day member I have access to 6 competitions a year...just 6. A Monthly Stableford from May to October.
Come August and I become a Senior ( I know, hard to believe isn't it), if I joined the Seniors, at an additional cost (not sure what it is) I could play an additional Stableford and a Medal every month of the year as well as other Senior "board" comps.
But they play on Tuesdays - not in itself an issue but we've worked out diaries around playing Wednesday and Friday. We could change, maybe we will.
We're putting in supplementary cards regularly. And if anyone thinks it's not competitive when me, CVG and Fragger get out there then they need to think again!
I'm not overly worried about playing lots of competitions. Played lots down the years, won a fair bit so I've been there, done that and worn out the tee shirt..
3 or 4 comps and a dozen or so supplementary cards will do me from now on I suspect.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Monthly stableford every month (including winter, weather permitting) and a monthly medal March-November. We also have a weekly medal and stableford once a month too. On top of that we have other events so probably 2-3 events per month at weekends in the height of the season. Matches on top of that so a nice full calendar. Very happy

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Comps are approx April to end of September. Saturday is stableford off yellows and Sunday is strokeplay off whites, the board comps. Tuesday's also have a comp on, stableford but not sure of the tees. All in all 3 options for comps if you want them.

None are overly busy and there is plenty of space for social golf. No day is closed off for comps only.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After starting my last thread on Supps been used as Q-Comps then, looking at this thread, I can see folk at some Clubs having difficulties satisfying the 3- Comps before you can win Captains Day etc.

We have over 50 opportunities to play in 18 or 9 hole Q-Comps a year

D

Deleted member 15344

After starting my last thread on Supps been used as Q-Comps then, looking at this thread, I can see folk at some Clubs having difficulties satisfying the 3- Comps before you can win Captains Day etc.

We don’t have such a rule so there is no rule to satisfy

As long as someone has a Handicap with a C status they can enter any Comp - the club champs they don’t need even a C status

Why would you have comps so restrictive to your own members ? What’s they point

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Indeed. We have a three card rule for all honour board events but we have at least 40 if not more weekend (and of course our two midweeks per months) to get a qualifying card in. It's not that hard surely?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
We don’t have such a rule so there is no rule to satisfy

As long as someone has a Handicap with a C status they can enter any Comp - the club champs they don’t need even a C status

Why would you have comps so restrictive to your own members ? What’s they point
I’m
Of the opinion you should be able to play club champs unless you’ve played X amount of comps at the club in that season.

Personally don’t think it’s fair really low handicappers rocking up having not supported the club throughout the season.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think I’m probably a member at one of the clubs in the country with the best opportunities. 2 midweek medals and at least one Q every single weekend from April - November.

In addition, if you don’t want to enter the comp you can still play with people who are (non major comps). I did this today as I’m returning from surgery and couldn’t play all 18. Clubs should give people the options.

My 2nd club has a midweek and weekend Q every single week of the year.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I’m
Of the opinion you should be able to play club champs unless you’ve played X amount of comps at the club in that season.

Personally don’t think it’s fair really low handicappers rocking up having not supported the club throughout the season.

It's been a problem we've had. Several of our really low handicappers are members at more than one club and then rocked back a few weeks before club champs weekends for a couple of games, play and disappear again for another 11 months. Sadly the rules we have say three cards in a rolling twelve month period so wasn't hard for them to obtain the bear minimum. These days all our good players are staunch supporters of the club and play regularly in comps and roll ups.

D

Deleted member 15344

I’m

I don’t understand the “support the club” line - if they are members they are paying their membership fees and for that they should be allowed the same access as someone else within that membership category

And what if someone joins the club and hasn’t had the chance to play those comps - as a new member would you restrict them on the comps they play when they arrive ?

Or what if someone is returning from injury or work away etc etc

Golf is supposed to be removing barriers to get as many people as possible to play

Why should it matter if someone with a low handicap only plays in a board Comp - don’t you want the Comp to have all the top players in it

I hope we never get so restrictive - it’s counter productive to getting people playing golf or joining clubs

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don’t understand the “support the club” line - if they are members they are paying their membership fees and for that they should be allowed the same access as someone else within that membership category

And what if someone joins the club and hasn’t had the chance to play those comps - as a new member would you restrict them on the comps they play when they arrive ?

Golf is supposed to be removing barriers to get as many people as possible to play

Why should it matter if someone with a low handicap only plays in a board Comp - don’t you want the Comp to have all the top players in it

I hope we never get so restrictive - it’s counter productive to getting people playing golf or joining clubs

Our rules are prominently displayed and included in the new members pack so everyone should be aware they need to have played three comps to qualify for board events. If that means a new member misses out, then sadly that's the way it is. As for "support the club" there was always a feeling that these guys were merely trophy hunting and would arrive for club champs, hang around for a few weeks when all the big comps were on and go off again. Of course if they've paid their cash that's their right but it never sat right with a large number of members

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our rules are prominently displayed and included in the new members pack so everyone should be aware they need to have played three comps to qualify for board events. If that means a new member misses out, then sadly that's the way it is. As for "support the club" there was always a feeling that these guys were merely trophy hunting and would arrive for club champs, hang around for a few weeks when all the big comps were on and go off again. Of course if they've paid their cash that's their right but it never sat right with a large number of members

Trophy hunting is exactly the right tem

We talk about inclusion and encouraging people to play, but supporting them club is also important in my opinion

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Trophy hunting is exactly the right tem

We talk about inclusion and encouraging people to play, but supporting them club is also important in my opinion

Correct. I'd rather see someone use the club across twelve months, including using the 19th occasionally than rock up for a few short weeks and not be seen again. As I said earlier, it's become far less of a problem than it was and looking at the entry sheet for this years club championship, all of the contenders are well known, regular players

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

Having someone who's handicap is many shots lower than the best of the rest turn up once a year to compete in the club championship is hardly productive either - especially if they don't actually pay a sub....

Every club will have its own checks and balances on such matters - and they will evolve with time and circumstances as well.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My club must be one of the few, but we have monthly medals on the last weekend of each month all through the year, midweek medals on monday and thursdays for 5 day membersand various other stroke or stableford comps through the year mainly at weekends. So to be able to maintain a "c" handicap isnt hard, whether you want to play all, some, or just the strokeplay or stablefords if you choose.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
So the guys who play at weekends can only play in qualifiers ? Is there no time for social golf with your mates which for me is the backbone of being a member - swindles or rolls ups - 4 BBB’s within rbe swindles etc

We try and find a balance between social and competitive golf

Ensure that at least one day at the weekend is free for social golf - there is prob three qualifiers regular each month one on a Saturday , one on a Sunday and one on a Wednesday then each month there will also prob be a board event ,plus club matches and also club KO’s - if every weekend was filled with qualifiers many members would leave

There are no roll ups or swindles. You don’t have to enter the competition. You can have a knock amongst it all. But I’ve not known many to do that.

There is 2 team events in the season which are trophy comps and drawn pairs.

Seniors have competitions on a Monday and Thursday which are usually 4bbb/scrambles.

Social golf isn’t what our men’s section want, this is evident of the amount of people that don’t play in the two team games we have in the season.

The seniors who don’t want to play the white pots play in their respective weekday comps.

Every member is catered for.

Social golf happens in winter with the winter league which starts end of November and ends April.