Your best putting tips please

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
For me after reading Pelz bible and Stan Utley i was confused

Tried many putters and finally found the mallet ( Rossie ) style was the better putter for me as i tend to be straight back and nearly straight through stroke.

The other fault i had was looking up as i played the shot and the result was open shoulders etc and always ball went to the left side.

Pace is the main thing that can only come from feel and knowing your course greens in my opinion

Also confidence, when your game is gowing well you seem more confident you putt with more confidence and seldom leave puts short.

Also the weight of the putter ( another vote for the Rossie ) can make a big difference to distance feel as can your choice of putter face and ball.

As to regards the line a quick look and im good to go, with the confidence in the putter i do not even worry about lining up the line on the ball anymore

I feel putting is one of my better parts of the game, sadly the rest is poor but im slowly improving chipping and approach

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Slightly off topic, but only slightly.
How important do you guys think it is to be 'fitted' for a putter?
I know it's the club that's used the most when playing golf, but would it make such a difference?
I can understand custom fitting for drivers/hybrids/irons etc, but is it that important for putting?
Just curious,

Slime.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Slightly off topic, but only slightly.
How important do you guys think it is to be 'fitted' for a putter?
I know it's the club that's used the most when playing golf, but would it make such a difference?
I can understand custom fitting for drivers/hybrids/irons etc, but is it that important for putting?
Just curious,

Slime.

It depends how badly your current putter doesn't suit you.

I went from 9.4 to 7.3 in 9 rounds after being fitted for mine last summer. Admittedly I was playing well but it was the putter that made the biggest difference.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'll bet it will be a LONG time before you change that putter

:whistle:;)

You naughty little tinker! ;)

What the fitting did for me was to tell me what type and length of putter suited me. In the past I'd always gone for short (32") blade putters that were toe balanced, but I was fitted for a 34" face balanced mallet. Not much difference! :mad:

My new one is the same type and spec but I wanted something not so soft off the face and with more of an alignment line (plus I'm a tart). :D

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
It depends how badly your current putter doesn't suit you.

I went from 9.4 to 7.3 in 9 rounds after being fitted for mine last summer. Admittedly I was playing well but it was the putter that made the biggest difference.

I don't know whether or not mine suits me, I've had it for a few years now.
I've also got a Ping Anser & a B60. I seem to putt randomly with all of them. I've obviously got technique problems, but would a fitting for the 'right' putter help me iron out my technique issues?
If so, where would I go for that?

Slime.

S

Snelly

Only tip that would work over a web forum is one of Ben Hogans which is listen for the putt dropping rather than looking at it. This ensures that you see the club hit the ball and this in turn maximises the chances of making a nice contact.

Hope this helps,

Snelly

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Only tip that would work over a web forum is one of Ben Hogans which is listen for the putt dropping rather than looking at it. This ensures that you see the club hit the ball and this in turn maximises the chances of making a nice contact.

Hope this helps,

Snelly

Sort of - but not quite - in the same vein, I find sometimes whilst I'm trying to concentrate on the ball and keep my head down, you know that the ball is going to move and your head moves in anticipation of the ball moving.
When I'm conscious of that happening I leave a little gap between putter and ball and focus on a piece of grass in the gap.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can't chip for the life of around the green but I am normally very steady with the flat blade. One practice tip I picked up years ago was to set your putter behind the ball.

1: half an inch from the toe and heel put tee pegs in the ground.
2:put a tee 6" behind the ball then another 12" in front, level with the tee you put in for the toe of the putter.
It is then simple.....put the ball without hitting the tee behind, but also accelerate past the tee infront without touching the tees set fro the toe and heel of the putter.

I was told the idea is to make you accelerate the putter while making sure it stays online. I notice so many poor putters just do not accelerate the putter through the ball so sort of slap the putter against it, rather than striking it.