Best tips when being bad at putting and then something for a statistician to look at...

• Thread starter Deleted member 25172
  • Start date

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Really good post.

There are some caveats though:
Are pros playing to trickier pin positions so harder to hole out?
On the other hand, I find it much easier to putt on quick tournament greens with a lovely true roll.
The odds of holing a 10 footer straight up hill are significantly shorter than a curving downhill 10 footer, stats never show the full story!
And practising 6 footers in your bedroom: it's the same putt. After a few goes I'd expect to hole 90%+
I'm at work (on a break) so can't look up the exact details, but I think for pros uphill and downhill only makes a difference for short putts. Off the top of my head they are the same once over about 10ft. Even for the short ones it's not as much as I would have expected.
You're right that pro stats are hard to compare with us for a number of reasons, but I think the general principles are the same.
Of all the facets of the game, putting is the one where there are the smallest differences between pros and ams. Well, some ams I guess, sadly not me.

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
Anyone recommend a good putting matt? Each time I Google i get a different answer! I saw Visio? Mentioned in the thread ? Am also seeing Forb, Well Putt and Putt out mentioned and am starting to the myself in knots....

Thanks

GBC

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anyone recommend a good putting matt? Each time I Google i get a different answer! I saw Visio? Mentioned in the thread ? Am also seeing Forb, Well Putt and Putt out mentioned and am starting to the myself in knots....

Thanks

GBC
I would just get a plain one.
There are no lines on a putting green .
I just use a ruler or alignment stick.
But putting with no lines helps imo.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Thanks

GBC
I have the Puttout mat. pretty good speed and lets you putt from 1-6 feet. Best used with a Putt out probably although I do have a hole I can put on it. Personally I am getting more from my Visio mat and gates and tend to put that on the bedroom floor and try and make 10-12 footers to work on pace and starting the putt online

D

Deleted member 1740

Apologies for sounding like Homer but I'd recommend a lesson. The best lesson I've ever had was a putting lesson, just a shame I never listened to the pro ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Apologies for sounding like Homer but I'd recommend a lesson. The best lesson I've ever had was a putting lesson, just a shame I never listened to the pro ?
Agree. I try and get a putting lesson at the start of the season (whenever that'll be) to make sure the basics are right and everything working together. Also go back as the greens get drier and quicker and revisit the Aimpoint stuff (now there's a lockdown kettle of fish)

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
I have the Puttout mat. pretty good speed and lets you putt from 1-6 feet. Best used with a Putt out probably although I do have a hole I can put on it. Personally I am getting more from my Visio mat and gates and tend to put that on the bedroom floor and try and make 10-12 footers to work on pace and starting the putt online

Thanks for the advice Homer / Club Champ much appreciated

GBC