Best tips when being bad at putting and then something for a statistician to look at...

• Thread starter Deleted member 25172
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25172

Accepted. No yips, changed title of thread.

If anyone who is good with numbers can work out what the chances are to miss 20 putts in a row that you usually make between 50-60% of the time it would be interesting though.

sunshine

Visit site
I've never had the yips, or putting woes, but I have some thoughts...

- From your handicap, you know how to play golf a bit, and that includes putting. Is over-thinking getting in the way and causing anxiety?
- Could be a technical problem, but I think technique is less relevant in putting. Most of the time you are rocking the club 15cm back, not enough opportunity for the plane to go miles off line. I've recently watched some of the golf highlights on Sky of the old majors, and some of the putting techniques look awful (Jack Nicklaus :eek:) but they got the job done.
- I'm not suggesting ignore technique, but if it becomes your focus you may fill your head with technical thoughts and lose your stroke.
- Try putting with a physical barrier running parallel on the outside line of your putt. You can do this at home by putting alongside the wall, or just place a big book outside the line. This will instantly prevent you from swinging out-to-in or in-to-out.
- You are looking for consistency of strike, which is easier if your stroke is smooth. Try putting looking at the hole or even with your eyes closed to visualise the target and not the act of hitting the ball.

Bottom line: I'm sure you are talented golfer and you already have the skills to do this - you just have to remind yourself!

sunshine

Visit site
If I had maybe at least one tenth of one percent confidence that playing golf with your eyes closed was even a slightly sensible suggestion, I might have mentioned it. ?

Take it from a good putter, try looking at the hole, it should free you up.

Should be able to hit a 6 foot putt with eyes closed. Full swing with the driver... that's a different question!

D

Deleted member 25172

If I had maybe at least one tenth of one percent confidence that playing golf with your eyes closed was even a slightly sensible suggestion, I might have mentioned it. ?

Take it from a good putter, try looking at the hole, it should free you up.

It was just an experiment to see what it felt like as standing over the ball, I rarely find that the aim is correct, even though I have aligned it from behind knowing that it’s fairly correct. So when closing my eyes, I stopped manipulating the hands at impact like I usually do with my eyes open, if that makes any sense?
I've never had the yips, or putting woes, but I have some thoughts...

- From your handicap, you know how to play golf a bit, and that includes putting. Is over-thinking getting in the way and causing anxiety?
- Could be a technical problem, but I think technique is less relevant in putting. Most of the time you are rocking the club 15cm back, not enough opportunity for the plane to go miles off line. I've recently watched some of the golf highlights on Sky of the old majors, and some of the putting techniques look awful (Jack Nicklaus :eek:) but they got the job done.
- I'm not suggesting ignore technique, but if it becomes your focus you may fill your head with technical thoughts and lose your stroke.
- Try putting with a physical barrier running parallel on the outside line of your putt. You can do this at home by putting alongside the wall, or just place a big book outside the line. This will instantly prevent you from swinging out-to-in or in-to-out.
- You are looking for consistency of strike, which is easier if your stroke is smooth. Try putting looking at the hole or even with your eyes closed to visualise the target and not the act of hitting the ball.

Bottom line: I'm sure you are talented golfer and you already have the skills to do this - you just have to remind yourself!

As with all things, I always put a lot of pressure on myself, so yes, The anxiety I can feel standing over a putt just playing with a couple of mates can sometimes be absolutely ridiculous unfortunately.
I’ve actually thought about Nicklaus as well, cause that truly does look awful, but he was pretty decent at this game anyway. ?

I think the main issue is in the head, which then in turn cause technical errors due to tightening grip and getting stiff over the ball.

I’ll get back on the horse tomorrow once I’ve reminded myself that this thing with putting is easy...

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I had a very good lesson last year with our golf pro.

I was an ok putter for my handicap, but it wasn't a strength. On my good days, I could 2 putt fairly well, but rarely holed anything of note and could often 3 putt from even reasonably close range. I didn't have much confidence at all, and it was really damage limitation.

He started out just asking me to putt a few balls around the putting green and he would just watch and not say anything.

He then said that there were about 6 or 8 things he would look for in terms of posture, ball position, grip, stroke etc. Only one he asked me to change was to get a bit more upright. I was basically putting with my hands tucked in and the toe in the air. I had no idea I was doing that. I now pick the grip up a bit higher and get right over the ball.

While I wouldn't say it's revolutionised things (I'm still not great at reading a green) I definitely have a lot more good days with the putter and when I get going it can be a real strength in some rounds.

D

Deleted member 3432

It is soul destroying, so will definitely book in some time for someone to have a look in order to fix this, yips or not yips. I checked the Visio aid quickly and saw that the mats have different degrees to the path. Would it be best to get one of those after having had the full walk through of the issues instead? Thinking that buying one with the “wrong” path my just worsen things even more.

I would wait until we are back playing, find a pro with a SAM lab and then book a session with him. Find the cause of your poor putting and the solution required to fix it. Pro should be able to recommend a training aid that will help you and your issues that may be different to mine and others.

It could be simply you are not aiming where you think you are or as in my case require more work.

Shaft length and putter lie can be variables that an adjustment to leads to improvement.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't worry about my putting, and will confess its probably the best part of my game. I always have in my head that once I get on the green, it's going to be 2 shots and holed. I never put myself under any pressure to get "this" putt or anything of that ilk.
If I do 3 putt, no worries the world will keep turning.
I will use the putter from off the green without any worries...perhaps thats why I am less worried about putting than anything.:)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 25172

I don't worry about my putting, and will confess its probably the ebst part of my game. I always have in my head that once I get on the green, it's going to be 2 shots and holed. I never put myself under any pressure to get "this" putt or anything of that ilk.
If I do 3 putt, no worries the world will keep turning.
I will use the putter from off the green without any worries...perhaps thats why I am less worried about putting than anything.:)

I have the odd (very odd) round where I talk myself into thinking that way as well, but then, probably 3 holes in or so I always wonder who the hell talked me into such a thing. I wish I had a similar mindset as you sometimes as I believe it’s quite likely that I’d be able to play even better, but probably more importantly, enjoy golf more than I sometimes do as I’m so results focused, even when playing a bounce game with mates. ??

sunshine

Visit site
The anxiety I can feel standing over a putt just playing with a couple of mates can sometimes be absolutely ridiculous unfortunately.

But when they give you a putt, I bet you can casually stroll up to the ball and tap it in no problem! It's so easy when you don't think about it!

Watching Cristiano Ronaldo take a penalty really made an impression on me. He just looks so confident, you can't imagine he will miss, he probably can't imagine missing, and guess what he doesn't miss very often!

D

Deleted Member 1156

I agree Rich - I've seen him chipping and thought "what the devil" !
I'll never forget the time at Blackmoor when I was just short of the par 5 8th in 2. Duffed my chip, duffed the next chip then chipped in for par. A 3 chip par.....putting is overrated!!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Not had the yips but 30 odd years ago I went through a spell of 3 putting too often, which I guess means I also 2 putted when I should have been getting a few single putts. Basically I just put in a load of graft. I practiced almost every day for at least 30 mins a day. But first of all I looked at some fundamentals.

1) Were my eyes over the ball? Funnily enough, if I have an iffy spell this is usually what I find is wrong.
2) Are my hands in a neutral position on the grip? If either hand is more under or over, one hand will dominate the stroke.
3) Are my arms free from my body? If the arms catch on the body on the backswing it will knock them off plane.
4) Am I still looking at the ground after I've hit the ball? If your head starts to move as you hit the ball you will tweak it off line.

In terms of practice, look for the flattest part of the green, including not too grainy - look at the cut. I always start with 3' putts. Just keep knocking 3' putts for 10 mins or until you get bored - once you're bored, you're wasting your time. Move the distance out to 6-8 feet, again on the flat, then out to 20 feet.

Relatively short, uphill putts are good for building confidence - you'll hit them a little harder. Downhill putts are good for learning feel - its so easy to look foolish on downhill putts. A little tip on downhill putts. Hit them a quarter in towards the toe of the putter. You'll feel the putter twist slightly and more importantly it will take a little bit of power off the putt. This allows you to hit a bit harder, which helps maintain the swingspeed. Another thing with downhill putts; always look at a downhill putt from below the hole too. Its easier to see the borrows looking uphill.

Swinging putts of any length are about practice. You learn to read the swing/borrow. And you need to hit the aimpoint on the line.

A putting mirror is a really good tool for ensuring you get your head over the ball. Two tall tees with string on them is good for seeing if you're hitting the ball straight. Another tip is to put two tees a ball width apart and put to them from 6-8 feet - you'd be amazed at how big the hole looks after you've practiced to two tees. Finish off by going around the putting green with two balls. To combat the boredom, when you go around the putting green play with 2 different numbered balls and make it a matchplay.

Wolf

Visit site
Putting is such a tough one to offer advice on because imo it is an area that needs to be much simpler than the rest of the game.. It is the strongest part of my game and always has been even when I have prolonged lay offs, my putting stroke slots back in straight away.

Even when we were at TM day last year, I got to play with Andy of me and my golf and he told me I have a very simple stroke and set up.

I learned to putt as kid when my dad used to leave me on the putting green whilst he was practicing. There was an old pro there at the time called Stan Barrow, real miserable old boy but a quirky sense of teaching he gave me 4 tips as a boy that always stuck and have been the base of my putting for years in keeping it simple.

1. Hold the putter so lightly it always feels heavy.
2. When practicing never put to a hole always putt to a small tee peg because the closer you get to the smaller target the bigger the hole becomes.
3. Your putting stroke is like your personality it's yours alone and let it be individually yours no matter what someone else's looks like don't copy or seek to change.
4. See don't think! By that he meant see what you want to achieve, see where you want the ball rolling don't think about anything just keep seeing.

As I said he was a quirky old bugger but those 4 things stuck with me so much that they're second nature. I couldn't even begin to describe my set up or stroke, I just know it feels the same now as it did when he gave me those odd little pearls of wisdom.

None of this helps the OP I'm guessing and is my mere ramblings. But perhaps the key really is to just stop, forget what you think you know and just let it flow.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was a very good putter when I was younger.
In my job as a crane driver I needed good depth perception but when I underwent laser surgery on my eyes after the firm went to remote control cranes I couldn’t hit a cows arse with a banjo.
My eyesight changed so much that I could miss from 18 inches because I wasn’t aiming properly.
This for me is the number one fault in am golf.
So you start manipulating your swing/ stroke to suit your aim and it’s a mess.
I still have this now especially with irons I think I am aiming ok but am miles right.
Alignment sticks are all you need and some practice.
Practicing your misses is soul destroying so start short and listen to the sound of the ball going in the hole.

One thing we’re you fitted for your putter?
as a bad fit will have you fighting the stroke pattern.