Best tips when being bad at putting and then something for a statistician to look at...

• Thread starter Deleted member 25172
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25172

We all have hot and cold spells with the putter. Then there are those that can go beyond a cold spell with the putter. I’m one of those people. The worst part of my game is by far putting, so that is something that I’ll focus on this year, but aside from the technical part, there is clearly something wrong in that thing that sits between the shoulders.

I’ve been practising 6 footers in the bedroom the last week and have had periods where I’ve literally missed about 20-25 in a row. What is it with the brain that make this happen, cause once it’s over, I’m back to being just “normally” bad, holing about 55-60% of these putts.

Perhaps the above isn’t what is qualified as the yips, but once all added up, with missed 1, 2 and 3 footers out on the course, it all paints a picture that is more than just being a bad putter.

Have you had the yips, and if so, have you found anything in particular that helped you overcome it?

D

Deleted Member 1156

I've never had putting yips but watched a mate of mine go through them and he was a decent golfer. We played Woodhall Spa one day and he hit 16 greens in reg and shot 85 :eek:

Two things I always think about when putting are keep your grip as light as possible and try to get the putter head following through towards the hole, rather than flipping inside the line.

D

Deleted member 21258

Assuming it isn't technical alignment or stroke based, I Changed something, I changed the grip(to left below right, from right below left). Has worked for a long time but I think its coming back but am fighting it and taking the I don't care attitude to the putt result which is helping.

Can see me changing again soon due to it, but I will adapt, as enjoy golf to much not to. May well try putting left handed, just to see if it helps. :unsure:

Strange game putting is.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We all have hot and cold spells with the putter. Then there are those that can go beyond a cold spell with the putter. I’m one of those people. The worst part of my game is by far putting, so that is something that I’ll focus on this year, but aside from the technical part, there is clearly something wrong in that thing that sits between the shoulders.

I’ve been practising 6 footers in the bedroom the last week and have had periods where I’ve literally missed about 20-25 in a row. What is it with the brain that make this happen, cause once it’s over, I’m back to being just “normally” bad, holing about 55-60% of these putts.

Perhaps the above isn’t what is qualified as the yips, but once all added up, with missed 1, 2 and 3 footers out on the course, it all paints a picture that is more than just being a bad putter.

Have you had the yips, and if so, have you found anything in particular that helped you overcome it?
It might sound obvious, but do you know why you're missing?
Is it aim, or a poor stroke?
If you put a line all the way round the ball, then line it up at the target, do you manage to get the line to roll end over end? If not, then that suggests a stroke issue, if you can do this, then maybe try changing the way you aim/align your putts.
Good luck whatever. Putting badly is not good for the soul. I've never done 18 in a row, but I did once GIR the whole of a front 9 and failed to score par on a single one...

D

Deleted member 25172

Assuming it isn't technical alignment or stroke based, I Changed something, I changed the grip(to left below right, from right below left). Has worked for a long time but I think its coming back but am fighting it and taking the I don't care attitude to the putt result which is helping.

Can see me changing again soon due to it, but I will adapt, as enjoy golf to much not to. May well try putting left handed, just to see if it helps. :unsure:

Strange game putting is.

I’ve played around a little bit with both the “claw” and putting my left hand below right, but it just feels so awkward. I know it takes time to implement a change and for it to feel somewhat natural, but I hope this can be fixed without making a big change like that.

It might sound obvious, but do you know why you're missing?

Is it aim, or a poor stroke?
If you put a line all the way round the ball, then line it up at the target, do you manage to get the line to roll end over end? If not, then that suggests a stroke issue, if you can do this, then maybe try changing the way you aim/align your putts.
Good luck whatever. Putting badly is not good for the soul. I've never done 18 in a row, but I did once GIR the whole of a front 9 and failed to score par on a single one...

To be honest, not sure which of them. Think it may be a mixture though, cause I find myself open/closing the club face when I stand over a put and the feeling standing above the ball is that alignment isn’t correct, so subconsciously my stroke and/or wrists try and compensate for it. Once this over I will go to a proper putting coach to get to the bottom of it, that’s for sure.

I did just draw a line around the ball, as good as I could using an egg cup, and it looks like its rolling over end to end-ish. :)

I would start with a simple gate drill and make sure you're at least starting it online.

Already on it! :)

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I hate putting too. My best putting stroke is always when I decide beforehand how long back The clubhead will go and where it will finish. Then swing that path length. That way I don’t ‘hit’ the ball, I strike through it. Never does it roll so smooth and true.

D

Deleted member 3432

I had a spell for a couple of seasons where I was barely able to start moving the putter back to start the stroke due to extreme tension in the hands which was borderline full on yips.

Found a workaround by not grounding the putter but was not able to hole anything at all.

Eventually had a couple of sessions with our at the time new pro using SAM putting lab. Technichally my stroke had become dreadful, taking it back outside and cutting across it while also adding loft at impact. Depending how my hands manipuated the clubhose on a given putt I could miss either side from anything over 3 feet. My aim was piss poor as well.

We did a total rebuild, going back to orthodox grip (I had putted left hand low for a few years but the numbers on the SAM lab were better orthodox), got some arc into the stoke and put a Garsen grip on my putter which helped to lock my wrists and forearms and prevent the handsy flick which added loft at impact.

Putt very nicely again now because I know my stroke is solid and my brain is not thinking negatively, previously moving the putter was my main thought standing over the ball.

Address the technical side and you will see improvements.

Practice from closer range where you can't miss and slowly work back. Stop if you start missing a few, nothing worse than practicing missing.

I can recommend a Visio putting template, I use the one with an arc and face lines. Always use it when practicing putting to ensure stroke is working on correct path.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I got a visio putting mat and the gates as a Chrimbo present from HID and they have been a godesend. Very good visually to see if the putter wanders offline and the gates (especially on the narrowest setting) focus you to make a centre strike and get it starting online. I've put these on top of my puttout matt and now hit 6 foot putts through the gates (or not) and aim to hit the perfect putt on the puttout. I then work in to five foot, four and three feet

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It doesn't sounds like the yips to me, you are just a poor putter!
I agree. The yips is normally used to describe a sort of involuntary twitch of one (usually) hand just as the club hits the ball. I tried umpteen suggestions before ending up putting left handed for shorter putts and right handed for longer. The yip was my lower right hand, working independently of my brain, trying to give the ball an extra bit of oompf and dragging the ball left.

D

Deleted member 25172

I agree. The yips is normally used to describe a sort of involuntary twitch of one (usually) hand just as the club hits the ball. I tried umpteen suggestions before ending up putting left handed for shorter putts and right handed for longer. The yip was my lower right hand, working independently of my brain, trying to give the ball an extra bit of oompf and dragging the ball left.

Not denying at all that I am a poor putter in general, but when you go from 50-60% hit rate from 5-6 feet and then on regular basis get into spells of missing 20-25 putts in a row, just to get back to 50-60% hit rate again from the same distance, it seem to me anyway that there’s something more going on than just being a bad putter.
Seem strange to me anyway.

D

Deleted member 25172

Yeah I've been through it.
First of all I didn't realise my putter alignment was off for over a year, so although I stood over every putt thinking I was going to hole it, most of the time I didn't.

Then I started getting yippy.
Best cure for that I have found is looking at the hole whilst putting, this completely frees me up, now I just chop and change between looking at the hole and the ball when I'm hitting it.
Give it a try.

I’m trying everything now, which probably doesn’t help either.
I did try the opposite to you though, setting up, align the putter and then closed my eyes, just going with feel. It worked brilliantly, for 50 putts or so... ?

D

Deleted member 25172

I had a spell for a couple of seasons where I was barely able to start moving the putter back to start the stroke due to extreme tension in the hands which was borderline full on yips.

Found a workaround by not grounding the putter but was not able to hole anything at all.

Eventually had a couple of sessions with our at the time new pro using SAM putting lab. Technichally my stroke had become dreadful, taking it back outside and cutting across it while also adding loft at impact. Depending how my hands manipuated the clubhose on a given putt I could miss either side from anything over 3 feet. My aim was piss poor as well.

We did a total rebuild, going back to orthodox grip (I had putted left hand low for a few years but the numbers on the SAM lab were better orthodox), got some arc into the stoke and put a Garsen grip on my putter which helped to lock my wrists and forearms and prevent the handsy flick which added loft at impact.

Putt very nicely again now because I know my stroke is solid and my brain is not thinking negatively, previously moving the putter was my main thought standing over the ball.

Address the technical side and you will see improvements.

Practice from closer range where you can't miss and slowly work back. Stop if you start missing a few, nothing worse than practicing missing.

I can recommend a Visio putting template, I use the one with an arc and face lines. Always use it when practicing putting to ensure stroke is working on correct path.

It is soul destroying, so will definitely book in some time for someone to have a look in order to fix this, yips or not yips. I checked the Visio aid quickly and saw that the mats have different degrees to the path. Would it be best to get one of those after having had the full walk through of the issues instead? Thinking that buying one with the “wrong” path my just worsen things even more.

D

Deleted member 21258

Not denying at all that I am a poor putter in general, but when you go from 50-60% hit rate from 5-6 feet and then on regular basis get into spells of missing 20-25 putts in a row, just to get back to 50-60% hit rate again from the same distance, it seem to me anyway that there’s something more going on than just being a bad putter.
Seem strange to me anyway.

I would add to rulefan posts, is that you can not miss the yippee action if you have it. Muscles move on their own for me, its a flipping mare when trying to take back the putter nice and smooth and swing tho the ball. Short putts of even a foot/2 feet become a lottery. You know it is happening and you just cant stop it. A mare it is, its funny to watch in a twisted sort of way. Tends to be better on long putts.

I can do perfect looking practise swings but can still feel it, not great for a feel player. :LOL:

If you cant feel it, then you need to check out your technical side first tbh, path action.

D

Deleted member 25172

I'm obviously on ignore as every other post has been responded to :ROFLMAO:

Not at all! I’m just going back and forth between replying and then back doing my head in with the putting again!
From your first post, it’s something that I do suffer badly from without even knowing it until I’m to let go of the club, when it’s almost that I have to call for the playing partners and ask them if they can help to unbend my fingers around the grip.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
My putting is iffy too, but it got better when I abandon d the "rocking shoulders" method and went to being wristy
I found that my distance finding was much better, and with a bit more care lining up, things improved.
I do the opposite of looking to the hole when striking.
I pick the line, as you do, and then I make a point of not looking too soon as to where it has gone, I.e the hole. I concentrate on watching the ball as I strike it..
IPlayer with a few very good putters. One chap I played with years ago , used to play with Peter Allis , and this chap was real old school, wristy, blade putter, etc. Putted like God he did.
Discussing his prowess with him, he told me he always could putt well, and in fact he told me that Allis said to him one time
"If I could have putted like you, Pat, I'd have won it all"
You may be aware that it is well known that Peter Alliss's weakness was his putting. ?