You can talk to a fade but a hook doesn’t listen..

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Strangely I find this untrue ... if I fade or block generally I am in recovery mode. If I hook or draw I am usually fine and playing a short iron. For a right hander I have noticed a lot of courses have trouble up the right so making the old adage untrue.
I suppose it’s more about the top spin roll and the ball continuing to move whilst on the ground and with an iron this is a nuisance. But hitting up the right side and letting the ball draw in or hook across to the left side second cut will always give an advantage..

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Isn't it fade/draw, slice/hook ?

As someone who's "moved", probably the biggest difference is being 1 foot fairway side from a tree the sliced shot is playabe (as right hander) but the hooked isn't

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well, for me, a former slicer now a major hooker, I would love to have a fade. In my opinion, fades and draws both come from good mechanics, slices and hooks don't. If you ever see a pro hit a proper fade, the ball goes straight to the apex, then falls slightly to the right. A thing of beauty. The fade stays within a small corridor but even a draw, and definitely a hook, is always looking to escape.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Strangely I find this untrue ... if I fade or block generally I am in recovery mode. If I hook or draw I am usually fine and playing a short iron. For a right hander I have noticed a lot of courses have trouble up the right so making the old adage untrue.
I suppose it’s more about the top spin roll and the ball continuing to move whilst on the ground and with an iron this is a nuisance. But hitting up the right side and letting the ball draw in or hook across to the left side second cut will always give an advantage..

It depends where you aim, I’m aiming left side so it’s the opposite.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

I think the idea is a slice heading towards OOB will have more backspin than a straight shot so may stop short of the OOB. A hook however will have less backspin so will run more towards the OOB.
So when you shout stop, the slice will more likely obey than a hook will

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

think youll find thats just a baby draw not a proper hook ;)

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ah now there is the question when does a fade become a slice and draw become a hook?
I thought the difference was just down to planned or unplanned and not the physical amount of movement left or right

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Ah now there is the question when does a fade become a slice and draw become a hook?
I thought the difference was just down to planned or unplanned and not the physical amount of movement left or right

I was told years decades ago a draw is a shot that starts right and finishes on target. A hook starts right and finishes left of target. So yes, a bigger move in the air and often not controlled. Obviously the opposite direction for the fade/slice.

sunshine

Visit site
I think the adage only applies to the pros, who hit it miles and prefer a cut that stops quickly. For us handicap golfers I believe you get more value from a draw

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The good news yesterday, was I managed to get myself back to basics and the driver was straight to 2 yard draw. The irons were generally okay but I did have a couple of pushes and a push fade. Which I think was commitment ... however none of them listened and I suppose it’s my fault for not complimenting the straight ones.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd say generally a hook has more spin imparted and will generally have more speed, so I'd agree that it's, on balance, the more destructive shot.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
hook is far more distructive for me anyway, was hitting a fade with the driver, but changed shafts and now back drawing again. def my bad shot with the fade was better than the one with the draw

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I find a draw or a fade hold onto target nicely, if it’s in the bunkers is blocked or pulled, anything outside is a hook or slice (assuming my aim was correct).