Yore Christmas

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yuk to Dandelion and Burdock but we did have coca cola at Christmas - in glass bottles.

For years I still yearned for Christmas to be like it used to be. It was never going to be the same after my Dad passed away and my eldest sister moved to Spain. I was always a bit underwhelmed and disappointed until I accepted it was ok to be a bit bah humbug on the basis that most of what I remembered and loved about Christmas was in the past and couldn't be repeated. So now I quite enjoy it without expecting it to be my Christmas of Yore.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Yuk to Dandelion and Burdock but we did have coca cola at Christmas - in glass bottles.

For years I still yearned for Christmas to be like it used to be. It was never going to be the same after my Dad passed away and my eldest sister moved to Spain. I was always a bit underwhelmed and disappointed until I accepted it was ok to be a bit bah humbug on the basis that most of what I remembered and loved about Christmas was in the past and couldn't be repeated. So now I quite enjoy it without expecting it to be my Christmas of Yore.

Same… after Mum died I took over the Crimbo duties, do the whole thing, prawn cocktails, full Turkey with trimmings, puddings then in the evening put out a load of fishy stuff but it’s not the same and everyone knows it. ?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Same… after Mum died I took over the Crimbo duties, do the whole thing, prawn cocktails, full Turkey with trimmings, puddings then in the evening put out a load of fishy stuff but it’s not the same and everyone knows it. ?

Yep my sister took over the reins for a while and it was nice as we that were left in the UK got together. Once she moved away it left just my brother and me here (oldest brother in Oz, middle sister in USA). I have to say that once I came to terms with it I felt much happier and accepting of what it is now.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My old mum used to get a bottle of ginger wine essence from the chemists and make up eight or nine bottles of ginger wine for us. Used to love it. We were never allowed alcohol at Christmas, apart from mum mixing us up a snowball. She always got a bottle of egg flip in just for them. Lots and lots of memories of a family having bugger all.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I remember it was my grandads job to get the Xmas meat from a proper butcher.

we always had a pineapple as well for some reason

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ooh just remembered my Dad made home made pickled onions. In those big sweet jars - great big dark brown hot as hot pickled onions. I used to drink the left over vinegar - gawd knows how I have a gullet left intact!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Like many here, mum looked after 4 of us with no father and precious little money, our Christmas stocking had very little in it but always a satsuma/tangerine and some nuts but came with an explanation that my twin and I had just had our birthday a couple of weeks ago and got a present then - on our birthday we got very little except an assurance we'd get a good Christmas present.

Life was not easy back then ?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Like many here, mum looked after 4 of us with no father and precious little money, our Christmas stocking had very little in it but always a satsuma/tangerine and some nuts but came with an explanation that my twin and I had just had our birthday a couple of weeks ago and got a present then - on our birthday we got very little except an assurance we'd get a good Christmas present.

Life was not easy back then ?

Seems a lot of us old buggers had similar experiences at Christmas, our dad wasn’t around much so mum had a tough time with ten of us , but the thing is we never had much but I never felt we missed out on too much.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Ooh just remembered my Dad made home made pickled onions. In those big sweet jars - great big dark brown hot as hot pickled onions. I used to drink the left over vinegar - gawd knows how I have a gullet left intact!
you can’t beat home made pickled onions.
I chuck a few dried Birds Eye chili’s in mine

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
My granddaughter is really in to Frozen at the moment so I've bought her some fish fingers and a pack of garden peas!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We used to get 3 Xmas days..
One at our house, 1 at Grandma &Grandads and one at our other Grandma in Chelsea..
Grandma in Chelsea used to do pounds of sprouts just so she could watch me stuffing myself senseless with them....
Those were the days....

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seems a lot of us old buggers had similar experiences at Christmas, our dad wasn’t around much so mum had a tough time with ten of us , but the thing is we never had much but I never felt we missed out on too much.
I often look back and wonder how she managed all of us - 8 boys and 2 girls!
Such a wonderful mum and rarely got annoyed. ?