Yore Christmas

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The importance of the little porcelain figures on top of the Christmas cake - Santa pushing a Wheelbarrow full of presents, and A little boy with a Woollen hat and scarf throwing a snowball. They just had to be there.

And a special Scottish one perhaps. Mum making a clootie dumpling - though mostly it was for Hogmanay.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Watching the Queen’s Christmas broadcast at 3pm…because you just did. Then later sitting down as a family to watch The Morcambe and Wise Christmas show...because it was probably the best TV prog of the year (after Sports Review of the Year).

Debating whether or not to get the Christmas and New Year edition of the TV Times in addition to The Radio Times (which was a must have that was waited for with great anticipation and bought with great excitement).

Funny enough I was just with a friend and we saw the Radio Times. We reminisced about getting the double edition of BOTH and then reading it cover to cover and having it open on the relevant day each day.

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Even now, whenever I smell an Orange or Satsuma being peeled, I immediately think of Christmas.
Christmas was the only time of the year we ever had fruit in our house.
Our grandchildren won't believe that we used to have a satsuma in our 'stocking' alongside not much else.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Our grandchildren won't believe that we used to have a satsuma in our 'stocking' alongside not much else.
Spoilt rotten aren't they???
Christmas morning was also the only one of the year we had a cooked breakfast. Scrambled egg, chipolatas and bacon. The rest of the year it was either toast or porridge.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
The importance of the little porcelain figures on top of the Christmas cake - Santa pushing a Wheelbarrow full of presents, and A little boy with a Woollen hat and scarf throwing a snowball. They just had to be there.

And a special Scottish one perhaps. Mum making a clootie dumpling - though mostly it was for Hogmanay.
Dad and his 3 sisters knew how to make a clootie dumpling, but we all preferred our grandmother's (mum's mum) bara brith.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mum used to buy the plastic mesh bags of mixed nuts.
It was always the Brazils that went first, usually followed by the walnuts and almonds. The piddly little hazelnuts were always last...
Still love Brazils.
???

Same. Brazils a hell of a job to crack and then the walnuts were very hit and miss as to whether slightly mouldy or not - lovely :)

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Grandfather always used to have a scramble he used to save all his coppers and Christmas Day he threw them all over the wall and us younger ones out of the 10 kids would all rush and gather them.

Cowboy gun and outfit to go and shoot the Indians.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My uncle was an area bank manager for Barclays in Bootle (he was Liverpool FC‘s bank manager). Many of his clients gave him gifts at Christmas…usually booze. One year an Iranian customer gave him a tin of pistachio nuts. They were very exotic at the time (about 1970-71) and not generally available to buy. We were at my aunt and uncle‘s for Christmas that year (a first ever family Christmas not in our own home). I had never tasted one before and thought they were marvellous.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

I was thinking the same, remember telling grandkids we played tin can allay when we were kids and they asked what it was.

I told them it was a pea tin with sticks on placed in middle of road and two teams either side of road bowling a ball at tin.

They said yea Daa but that was in the olden days?

Did you play that?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
As kids we used to spend every Christmas at our cousins’ house in South Yorkshire. Not particularly a festive memory, but we always went to a pizza parlour in Sheffield on Christmas Eve, and I remember waking up and seeing the lounge piled high with presents.

As we got older I used to love a lunchtime pint in the pub, The Hare & Hounds in Dore, and my aunt’s Christmas lunches were legendary.

Happy days indeed. And as a teenager the Top Of The Pops Christmas special was always worth a watch.