Yore Christmas

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We used to get 3 Xmas days..
One at our house, 1 at Grandma &Grandads and one at our other Grandma in Chelsea..
Grandma in Chelsea used to do pounds of sprouts just so she could watch me stuffing myself senseless with them....
Those were the days....
My mum's method for cooking vegetables was to boil them until soft, especially sprouts. I got quite a shock discovering that my mother in law cooked everything al dente. The cause of a lot of excess wind in those days.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
View attachment 45678But as we’re on the subject of games and Christmas, this had to be one of the best ones ever. Festive? Erm, no. But we played it every year.
Ive got two copies of that game…both originals…I so need to find a nearby board gamer or two to play it with. My favourite Christmas board game received from Santa was Waddington’s Campaign…still have it - same year as the pistachio nuts (about 50 yrs ago ?)

And something a child of today won’t understand from back then…a C60, or if lucky a C90, in my Christmas stocking.

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
Ive got two copies of that game…both originals…I so need to find a nearby board gamer or two to play it with. My favourite Christmas board game received from Santa was Waddington’s Campaign…still have it - same year as the pistachio nuts (about 50 yrs ago ?)

And something a child of today won’t understand from back then…a C60, or if lucky a C90, in my Christmas stocking.
I have two copies of Colditz, one is the original 1973 version and when played to the original rules it can take ages to escape, the newer rules simplified it to make the Germans less of an hinderance to escape. Still have Campaign but haven't played it for years, I remember you had to plan well in advance your moves, it was like grand master chess for kids

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Waiting for my mum to say ''We're just waiting for the potatoes'', they were never ready on time.

We had turkey every year until one year my dad said ''I suppose we're having turkey again this year''
My mum said ''you like turkey''
Dad ''no I don't ''
We never had turkey again :)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I have two copies of Colditz, one is the original 1973 version and when played to the original rules it can take ages to escape, the newer rules simplified it to make the Germans less of an hinderance to escape. Still have Campaign but haven't played it for years, I remember you had to plan well in advance your moves, it was like grand master chess for kids
I remember seeing Campaign in our local R S McColl, and thinking it looked brilliant I must have mentioned it to my mum. The film Waterloo (1970) was not long out, and through the schools Scholastic Book Club I’d already got a little book about the battle that had been published off the back of the film.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
There were a few friends living very locally through the early/mid 70’s. We collaborated on what games to ask for at Christmas. Between the 4 of us we had Colditz, Campaign, Risk, Striker + a few whose names I can’t quite remember. Our respective parents gave up their dining rooms to 4 lads most evenings through the winter, and were happy to do so.

Colditz was the most popular. For striker we arranged short knockout comps, 5 mins each way, so that those sitting out didn’t have long to wait. This game was least liked by parents because of the noise we generated.

Great times, great memories.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
There were a few friends living very locally through the early/mid 70’s. We collaborated on what games to ask for at Christmas. Between the 4 of us we had Colditz, Campaign, Risk, Striker + a few whose names I can’t quite remember. Our respective parents gave up their dining rooms to 4 lads most evenings through the winter, and were happy to do so.

Colditz was the most popular. For striker we arranged short knockout comps, 5 mins each way, so that those sitting out didn’t have long to wait. This game was least liked by parents because of the noise we generated.

Great times, great memories.
Wondering if anyone else played a football league team management board game called (Alan Ball’s) Soccerama. My best pal Richard had it, and we played it loads.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
We used to get 3 Xmas days..
One at our house, 1 at Grandma &Grandads and one at our other Grandma in Chelsea..
Grandma in Chelsea used to do pounds of sprouts just so she could watch me stuffing myself senseless with them....
Those were the days....

You missed out the giant slabs of Yorkshire Pud, and yes you went into some sort of sprout coma with interesting results on the drive home ??

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Wondering if anyone else played a football league team management board game called (Alan Ball’s) Soccerama. My best pal Richard had it, and we played it loads.
Yep, we had one. Quite fun at the start as all rise through Div 4 and 3. Got tedious later in the game. (Too much money spoiling the game?)

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We had a chicken for Christmas day, it was the only day of the year we ate chicken, how different now.

I remember as a boy walking over the fields with my Mother at Christmas to find a suitable twig. We would take it home, paint it white with whitewash, put it in a bucket of soil and hang our home made decorations on it. Couldn't afford a Christmas tree.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Me mum buying a real Xmas tree and spending the next 3 weeks hoovering up the needles. When it came to getting rid of the tree the house had a trail of needles going through the house. One year me mum paid a quid extra for a tree with roots on, coz you can water the trees and you don’t lose the pines. End of Xmas me mum said “it was a waste of a quid”.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Me mum buying a real Xmas tree and spending the next 3 weeks hoovering up the needles. When it came to getting rid of the tree the house had a trail of needles going through the house. One year me mum paid a quid extra for a tree with roots on, coz you can water the trees and you don’t lose the pines. End of Xmas me mum said “it was a waste of a quid”.
One year many moons ago I had an epiphany moment after 12th night and bagged up our real tree in an old duvet cover…thereby eradicating the problem of needles scattering all over the place as we removed it.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
When I lived at home we had a dog called Sandy, me brother had him first and he dumped it when he got fed up of it. Anyway me mum sent me to the RSPCA centre At Radcliffe on Trent I think it was to fetch the dog back as she was gutted her son had done that.
Anyway one Xmas I came home from the pit around 2.15 pm the kitchen door to the hall was open.The dog was no where to be seen.I crept upstairs and went in to my bedroom. The dog had opened 3 packets of famous names chocolates and supped the liqueur out of them but left the chocolate, ( chocolates bought by Missis T). Still no sign of the dog. I went into me mum and dads room and the dog was on the bed. He had lifted the lid off me dads chocolate Brazils and had swallowed the lot without chewing them. I dragged him downstairs and he was under the pine table. I was supping me tea and he started whining. I looked under the table at him and his eyes has rolled to the back of his head. I gave him a shove and he kinda woke up. I chucked him outside and he was staggering all over. The dog was bladdered. At the same time me dad came home from work and asked what was going on. His face was a picture. He couldn’t say owt as he was the last out of the house and left the kitchen door open.
within a minute the dog started passing Brazil nuts out of both ends. They were solid. ?
Me dad was livid, I went upstairs to my room, I had tears rolling do

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Ooh just remembered my Dad made home made pickled onions. In those big sweet jars - great big dark brown hot as hot pickled onions. I used to drink the left over vinegar - gawd knows how I have a gullet left intact!
Friend gave me a jar of his home-made pickled onions for Christmas.
Opened the jar yesterday and had some with me tea. Lovely.