Yet another slow play thread ...

Wolf

Visit site
Way too slow whoever is in front of you. What did the club/pro shop say when you went in after 9 and/or 18 to report the situation?
Didn't get to speak to Pro as he was taking a lesson when we finished, so have left it to my PP on the committee who said he will deal with it. Should finish work early today though so will see what's happened with it if I get chance to pop in later

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
had a disagreement with a lady member 5 or 6 weeks ago which ended up with her complaining about us with a large dose of embellishment.

there was a ladies 9 hole comp on one morning and they had the tee reserved between 9.30 and 11. I was playing with my regular social 3 ball and we agreed to tee off at 9.15 to avoid the ladies.

The 6th and 7th are both par 5s which run parallel to each other. we were walking up the 7th as the first group of ladies were coming down the 6th. One of them came marching over to us and started on a rant about how men are not allowed on the course when there is a ladies comp on. I told her that she was wrong, the rule was that men cannot tee off when there is a ladies comp on. She was getting very heated, insisted she was right, and said she was going to put a complaint in about us. I told her to go ahead and gave her my name. I also offered to wait and let them play through if they wanted to even though they were a full hole behind us and were very unlikely to be held up by us during their 9 holes. A ludicrous offer, as we would have been waiting about 15 minutes for them to play through, but what the hell. Unsurprisingly she declined and stormed off back to her PPs who looked mortified.

When we finished our 18, I went into the pro shop and asked if she had been in to complain. The pro said that she had, but not to worry about it as we were right and she was wrong.

I thought that was the end of it until last week when another member told me she had also complained to a couple of committee members, and told them I had been abusive and had sworn at her (neither of which were true). I was surprised as no-one had informed me, but hopefully that just means that she has past form for this sort of thing and they did not take her complaint seriously.
If anybody reports an incident on the course and tells a pack of lies about another member they should be asked to leave the club.
To many people are ready to quote rules and regulations when they don’t know what they are talking about.
Brushing it under the carpet is the wrong approach.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
had a disagreement with a lady member 5 or 6 weeks ago which ended up with her complaining about us with a large dose of embellishment.

there was a ladies 9 hole comp on one morning and they had the tee reserved between 9.30 and 11. I was playing with my regular social 3 ball and we agreed to tee off at 9.15 to avoid the ladies.

The 6th and 7th are both par 5s which run parallel to each other. we were walking up the 7th as the first group of ladies were coming down the 6th. One of them came marching over to us and started on a rant about how men are not allowed on the course when there is a ladies comp on. I told her that she was wrong, the rule was that men cannot tee off when there is a ladies comp on. She was getting very heated, insisted she was right, and said she was going to put a complaint in about us. I told her to go ahead and gave her my name. I also offered to wait and let them play through if they wanted to even though they were a full hole behind us and were very unlikely to be held up by us during their 9 holes. A ludicrous offer, as we would have been waiting about 15 minutes for them to play through, but what the hell. Unsurprisingly she declined and stormed off back to her PPs who looked mortified.

When we finished our 18, I went into the pro shop and asked if she had been in to complain. The pro said that she had, but not to worry about it as we were right and she was wrong.

I thought that was the end of it until last week when another member told me she had also complained to a couple of committee members, and told them I had been abusive and had sworn at her (neither of which were true). I was surprised as no-one had informed me, but hopefully that just means that she has past form for this sort of thing and they did not take her complaint seriously.

Why is it needed then be mentioned that they were ladies? 😉😁

Like Reply

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Sorry to say if you were a 3 ball playing ready golf behind a group of 4 balls playing a comp, you must have known you were going to catch them up and they weren't going to call you through.

I would have been tempted to either play the back 9 first (if possible) or slow down to an amble and catch them up on the 18th.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry to say if you were a 3 ball playing ready golf behind a group of 4 balls playing a comp, you must have known you were going to catch them up and they weren't going to call you through.

I would have been tempted to either play the back 9 first (if possible) or slow down to an amble and catch them up on the 18th.
While I agree with your comments.
I have always found trying to slow down is more difficult than people think.
Everyone has a natural speed it’s is difficult to change this.(and still play well).
In essence that’s the problem in golf players play at different speeds and because the course is played in a certain order mostly it does cause friction.
There is no magic answer but common sense and a bit of consideration for others.
But if your behind a comp you have to be ready for a wait.

Wolf

Visit site

Couldn't disagree more with you here Bob, we never expected to be let through and out of courtesy we left 1hr and 10mins between their last tee time and our first one, so regardless playing ready golf we should never have caught them up within 9 holes.

Yes they were in a comp hence us waiting over an hour to allow a large gap yet they lost 4 holes on group in front no matter what they were playing that shouldn't have happened.
As for saying we should slow down I find comments like that are allowing for slow play instead of addressing it but that's just my opinion

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 3432

I played yesterday with a mate and 2 guests I invited from my old club.

There is a midweek comp on Wednesday so there was a few playing that. It was a nice day and there were loads of visitors plus members playing socially.

Everyone got round in a reasonable time, you can't race round Silloth as time can be spent looking for balls in the heather and the course is always busy up to lunchtime but pace of play was OK.

I find it difficult to see how people playing in comps (or not), doesn't matter whether they are male or female can't play at a reasonable speed. Do clubs not post on notice boards times players are expected to go round in?

Anyone who is loosing large chunks of time to groups in front or playing excessively slowly and holding up the course needs to be 'educated' that it is not acceptable.

People also need to be reasonable if they think they have the right to get round in 21/2 hours doing periods when the course is busy, it won't happen.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
They did. However Congu decided that they know better than the R&A and USGA and, without any evidence, have effectively banned it in all clubs under their (mis) control.
Yes, I do find it strange that the ruling body of golf has had its recommendations overruled, in effect .
What are the thoughts about this.
The R&A should have made the new rules mandatory, with specific exceptions, e.g professionals ! Elite amateurs comps or whatever.
By leaving it as a local rule for Clubs to adopt ,if they wish ,it has opened a can of worms and really destroyed the new OOB /lost ball rule.

sunshine

Visit site
Yes, I do find it strange that the ruling body of golf has had its recommendations overruled, in effect .
What are the thoughts about this.
The R&A should have made the new rules mandatory, with specific exceptions, e.g professionals ! Elite amateurs comps or whatever.
By leaving it as a local rule for Clubs to adopt ,if they wish ,it has opened a can of worms and really destroyed the new OOB /lost ball rule.

Not sure I agree with having different rules between elite and non-elite competitions. It's good that the same rules apply in the monthly medal and the Open. But then in a casual knock you can do what you want.

It's a bit like FIFA introducing the back pass rule but then saying it's alright for keepers to pick up the ball in non league football.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Not sure I agree with having different rules between elite and non-elite competitions. It's good that the same rules apply in the monthly medal and the Open. But then in a casual knock you can do what you want.

It's a bit like FIFA introducing the back pass rule but then saying it's alright for keepers to pick up the ball in non league football.

Ref the football analogy , It may be more apt to compare premier league to walking football, when I think of some of us seniors in our comps😁😁.

I see where you are coming from about different rules, but things have changed in golf from when the long prevailing lost/OOB rule was made.
Years ago, many ( most ? ) clubs required proof of handicaps about or below 18 before allowing people to play the Course at all.
Competitions did not have participants playing with handicaps much higher than that figure.; now it has recently been increased from 28 to 54!!

So, years ago, the frequency of someone hitting more than one provisional ball per hole, I suggest, was rare. But now, Lord knows what score can be clocked up.
Combine that with more crowded courses , and play has become intolerably slow at times. Too many times , in fact.
The new rule by the R &A was made to address these situations now prevailing. I am sure they didn't do it for any other reason, i.e. Just to make things easier. Personally, I think they were pragmatically correct.
However, IMHO, they don't need to be imposed on professionals and Cat 1 player competitions for the reasons stated above.

I can't see any reason why the two sets of rules cannot run alongside each other. When you become a Cat 1 player , you smoothly move to their rules.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
The new rule by the R &A was made to address these situations now prevailing. I am sure they didn't do it for any other reason, i.e. Just to make things easier. Personally, I think they were pragmatically correct.

The word is that it was primarily done by the USGA to bring some consistency to the scores already being returned as handicap cards so that non comp cards being returned under their authority and the WHS had credibility against the systems objectives