Yet another slow play thread ...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
An NR is counted as one over buffer - that’s all , carrying on playing as an NR is recommended because you can still get a HC cut due to Stableford adjustments- seem plenty people get cut after an NR
If you still had the potential to complete a card good enough to get a handicap cut, then why would you NR in the first place? Just if you got like a 13 on a hole or something ridiculous?

D

Deleted member 15344

If you still had the potential to complete a card good enough to get a handicap cut, then why would you NR in the first place? Just if you got like a 13 on a hole or something ridiculous?

Because your handicap is worked out on the Stableford points so a 13 is just zero points - you could NR and then par every hole after get a Stableford adjustment of 40 points and be cut

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
When rack up a cricket score on one hole and you NR all you're effectively doing is withdrawing from the competition.
You should still continue to play out as the card still counts for handicapping.
The other, possibly more common, NR is when you get to the 14th (or wherever) and you're already so far over handicap that a super computer would be needed to work out your score. Many just stop playing at this point as you're going up anyway.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm the opposite I very rarely NR.

I'm not a chopper but I'm also no golfing superstar either. I'll complete a 9 and hole out for it. I guess it's just in my Levi's!

Only time I'll NR is if my score is already goosed and I have to walk back to the tee and cause upset and add time to either my playing partners or the course.

It's just way that I am programmed, always hole out if you can.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm the opposite I very rarely NR.

I'm not a chopper but I'm also no golfing superstar either. I'll complete a 9 and hole out for it. I guess it's just in my Levi's!

Only time I'll NR is if my score is already goosed and I have to walk back to the tee and cause upset and add time to either my playing partners or the course.

It's just way that I am programmed, always hole out if you can.
same here i rarely NR, unless its a stableford which TBH i play very few. won a silver trophy with an 8 on the card, if id NR's i wouldn't have

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Once you get to net double bogey, pick up and move on - you aren't going to suddenly make a run of 5 birdies when you currently average less than 1 birdie per round.
Maybe, but I have seen someone shoot 51 / 34 in a medal before with several birdies and an ace! :D

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
An NR is counted as one over buffer - that’s all , carrying on playing as an NR is recommended because you can still get a HC cut due to Stableford adjustments- seem plenty people get cut after an NR

That'll be it. Couldn't quite recall. Point the club was making is that we do not want players entering a comp and not putting in a card. Basically - when we sign up to play in a comp we sign up to putting in a card - so regardless of what might happen on the way round (weather stopping play or illness excepted) we must always put our card in.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've mentioned this before but it's strange how some clubs have a culture of players not NRing in medals.

Personally I really don't think there's a problem. If you are well over your handicap and get into a bit of bother. What is the point in running up an 8 or a 9? Once you get to net double bogey, pick up and move on - you aren't going to suddenly make a run of 5 birdies when you currently average less than 1 birdie per round.

As long as you play out the rest of the holes to the best of your ability, you aren't negatively affecting anything. I know a lot of guys who would play an informal stableford medal between themselves on medal days - obviously the chances of either of them winning the medal were slim, but this would allow them to retain interest as they were used to playing 4 ball matchplay every other day they played.

The guys who carve 2 brand new balls out of bounds and then go to their bag for a third! Give it up, you've just spent £6 as it is.
I have started with a 9 at the 1st in a medal at my place :mad:, went on to win my section and get a h/c reduction as well.:p. But I would've NRd after anymore really bad holes.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I have started with a 9 at the 1st in a medal at my place :mad:, went on to win my section and get a h/c reduction as well.:p. But I would've NRd after anymore really bad holes.

Obviously everyone has to make their own decision. It is more people clinging onto their score when it has already gone and they have zero chance of even shooting a net buffer, never mind winning anything.

Like you say, if you take a 9, a bogey and then lose a ball (which is probably going to result in double) within the 1st 5 or 6 holes, then just NR and pick up the pace a bit for all others on the course.

D

Deleted member 16999

Obviously everyone has to make their own decision. It is more people clinging onto their score when it has already gone and they have zero chance of even shooting a net buffer, never mind winning anything.

Like you say, if you take a 9, a bogey and then lose a ball (which is probably going to result in double) within the 1st 5 or 6 holes, then just NR and pick up the pace a bit for all others on the course.
You do realise failing to hole out in a Strokeplay comp is a DQ, (current rule 3.2)
Failure to Hole Out
A player must hole out at each hole in a round. If the player fails to hole out at any hole:
  • The player must correct that mistake before making a stroke to begin another hole or, for the final hole of the round, before returning the scorecard.
  • If the mistake is not corrected in that time, the player is disqualified.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You do realise failing to hole out in a Strokeplay comp is a DQ, (current rule 3.2)
Failure to Hole Out
A player must hole out at each hole in a round. If the player fails to hole out at any hole:
  • The player must correct that mistake before making a stroke to begin another hole or, for the final hole of the round, before returning the scorecard.
If you NR aren't you basically disqualifying yourself anyway? I don't understand your point.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Failure to Hole Out

Yes - pretty much, you are not going to return a score, you definitely won't win anything and will finish tied bottom of the competition.
You could still potentially save your handicap.

What's the problem?

Returning a score of net 85 has pretty much the same effect, but you are just going to hold up the whole course playing provisionals, looking for lost balls and taking 7 or 8 shots on a hole.

D

Deleted member 16999

You can’t win a Comp if you’re dq’d.

Some people don’t wish to be dq’d.

We’ve already had an example of someone winning a comp with an 8 on the card, you’re suggesting they should of picked up after 7.

If a person knows they are going to be dq’d what’s the point of carrying on, bin the card and get 0.1.

Some clubs have local rules were they won’t pay out 2’s if a person is dq’d in a comp. (I know that’s down to the Club and not RoG)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can’t see a problem with people having the odd 8/9 in a medal.
The high cappers in my club have one most rounds that’s why they are high.
If I had a bad hole I can still make it up it really depends where it is , if it’s on the first I certainly wouldn’t NR.
If it was on 17th and scores gone then yes.

D

Deleted member 15344

Blimey - this isn’t a new thing , it’s been around for a while

I wouldn’t expect someone to NR after having a triple Bogey or on the first hole but if you have already blasted your HC and there is no way back then just pick up and carry on. But the main point is an NR isn’t the end of the world - you don’t have to continue having a mare taking ages , you can still get a HC cut for example

And you can’t NR a Stableford Comp

The last thing people want to see if someone in front of them continuely holing out for 9’s and 10’s whilst everyone is stuck waiting for them

Use common sense

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seems to be a lot of potential for confusion here....

1. NR for a hole (on a medal card)
2. NR for a hole in Stableford, par/ bogey comp (also known as a blob and far from crime of the century)
3. Failure to return a card at all (known as a NR)
4. DQ per se removing any entitlement to a 2's pot (however relevant 🤔)

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
You can’t win a Comp if you’re dq’d.

Some people don’t wish to be dq’d.

We’ve already had an example of someone winning a comp with an 8 on the card, you’re suggesting they should of picked up after 7.

If a person knows they are going to be dq’d what’s the point of carrying on, bin the card and get 0.1.

Some clubs have local rules were they won’t pay out 2’s if a person is dq’d in a comp. (I know that’s down to the Club and not RoG)

Don't walk in. That would be disrespectful to your playing partners and the CSS.
Carry on, enjoy your round, hole out and record your score on other holes. You can still save your handicap via Stableford. But there comes a time in a bad round, when you won't be able to rescue it from a strokeplay point of view. and if you get into trouble, then rather than spend ages looking for a ball, or play multiple provisionals, or go back to the tee... just pick up and move on.

You aren't cheating anyone or doing anything dishonest. arguably staying out there and taking ages to play the round and slowing up your playing partners, is worse.

Also - never seen the rule 'we don't pay out on 2's if you NR'. That is a fairly silly rule and no doubt clubs like that will struggle with slow play if the club are encouraging that kind of culture.

Obviously if people want to return a score, then they have to finish every hole - but really there should not be a stigma attached to people who NR and just get on with their day. Assuming they aren't doing it to manage their handicap.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Played yesterday in a fourball, we kept a very good pace up but the old fossils in front that were only playing nine holes lost an hole and a half on the group in front of them. Behind us there was two X three balls. Coming up the 7th, they decided to play a six ball.

D

Deleted member 16999

Don't walk in. That would be disrespectful to your playing partners and the CSS.
Carry on, enjoy your round, hole out and record your score on other holes. You can still save your handicap via Stableford. But there comes a time in a bad round, when you won't be able to rescue it from a strokeplay point of view. and if you get into trouble, then rather than spend ages looking for a ball, or play multiple provisionals, or go back to the tee... just pick up and move on.

You aren't cheating anyone or doing anything dishonest. arguably staying out there and taking ages to play the round and slowing up your playing partners, is worse.

Also - never seen the rule 'we don't pay out on 2's if you NR'. That is a fairly silly rule and no doubt clubs like that will struggle with slow play if the club are encouraging that kind of culture.

Obviously if people want to return a score, then they have to finish every hole - but really there should not be a stigma attached to people who NR and just get on with their day. Assuming they aren't doing it to manage their handicap.
I’m only talking about Strokeplay.
Nobody mentioned walking in.
The 2’s pot is a red herring and has no impact.
Not everybody is having continous 9, 10’s etc.

Once again a thread has gone to extremes.

Only the player themselves can decide in Strokeplay if they should nr or not as only they will no how the rest of their round has gone, pick up after 1 triple bogey? Is 2 ok and 3 a no?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Only the player themselves can decide in Strokeplay if they should nr or not as only they will no how the rest of their round has gone, pick up after 1 triple bogey? Is 2 ok and 3 a no?

There's no rule or no 'score' when you should just pick up, but guys out there clinging onto a score that is double figures over net Par, just so that they don't NR serves no purpose.

As others have said, you know when a round has gone. It makes sense to not hold up play taking ages to hole out when your card is already wrecked.

Clearly they are still entitled to do it - but if players in general took a more relaxed view about NRing then play generally could speed up, quite a bit at some clubs.