Yardages written on clubs?

KhalJimbo

Head Pro
Visit site
So Ping posted this picture on Twitter of Lee Westwoods WITB with his yardages on the clubs. I don't think is allowed in competition so could be a practice bag only, but whats the thoughts on this?

My only thought is I'd like those distances :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 322

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Theres not reason why its not allowed in competition. I think is a good idea and did it on my wedges (3 yardages).
Since i've just got new ones my plan is to have the 3 yardages on the shaft - where the shaft label goes.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Crossfield does it(or did some time in the past) but strange that a tour pro does it as he has a caddy.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Everyone likes to show of their new bats.

Part westy showing off his new clubs and part ping marketing. No more, no less.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its a great tip that has been around a long time.

Write 1/2, 3/4 and full distances for each club on a label, stick to shaft and cover with clear tape.

Wedges up to 8 iron works well.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Doesn’t Lee typically have his girlfriend or son on his bag? Think he said before he wanted to do more decision making and that includes club selection and yardage.

I expect they are ingrained pretty quick but can’t hurt to have them on. Reminds me to update my list of yardages but I have a hell of a lot more variation on each club 😁

D

Deleted member 25172

I saw a clip from British Masters this summer when they discussed this with Westwood and his reasoning behind it. And just as pointed out above, his caddie is his girlfriend, so she’s simply the bag carrier, and he said he needed the numbers on the clubs to remember them.

AdamC28

Visit site
Nice little YouTube video with Lee and these clubs on Ping’s channel.
Search for “round with Radar” (y)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I am sure I've seen other pros doing it so nothing wrong with it. If his girlfriend is merely a bag carrier it makes sense for him to have something written although surely she could have them in all the caddy notes they seem to carry even if Westwood is doing the maths on each shot

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I am sure I've seen other pros doing it so nothing wrong with it. If his girlfriend is merely a bag carrier it makes sense for him to have something written although surely she could have them in all the caddy notes they seem to carry even if Westwood is doing the maths on each shot

The original post is from 2017, long before he had his gf or son on the bag. So he had them written while he had a 'proper' caddy.