XR OS vs Steelheads

Rcaslake

Hacker
Visit site
Hi All,

I'm off to get myself my first set of irons this week and just wondering if Callaway steelhead are much better than the XR OS's. obviously I will test both out before deciding.

but as a complete beginner will i notice much difference in club as the Steelheads are £550 for 5-sw and the XR are £300 which is a considerable difference.

Thanks!

Rcaslake

Hacker
Visit site
the pro giving me lessons has recommended the steelhead but as you say there's potential to have 10 extra lessons on that price.

My swing is quite inconsistent at the moment as I started playing 6 weeks ago so I will just go with the flow at fitting.

Cheers

Rcaslake

Hacker
Visit site
I'm not sure on his reasoning. he isn't selling them to me so it isn't a commission issue. providing I hit okay with the XR Irons maybe that is the way for me to go.

upon reflection 550 seems a bit jump for my first set of irons X)

BristolMike

Head Pro
Visit site
Will you be ordering the, standard length/standard lie? If you need longer etc that could be his thinking. You wouldn't be able to get the OS custom fit

Rcaslake

Hacker
Visit site
he did mention it would be worth me getting a +0.25 on the club length but again can only really go on what he says. It's an expensive mistake so just wanted the facts before I invest

gmhubble

Head Pro
Visit site
I have the steelhead xr pro and they are fantastic - chose them over the Mizuno in the end and they are beautiful clubs - you must must give them a try

Rcaslake

Hacker
Visit site
I was told the pros weren't overly forgiving. and as I am currently topping 1 in 5 shots I'm all about forgiveness! I have requested a price match at AG and if they honour it I will pop in tomorrow and try a few out:

XR OS
Steelhead
Steelhead Pro
Ping G

gmhubble

Head Pro
Visit site
I was told the pros weren't overly forgiving. and as I am currently topping 1 in 5 shots I'm all about forgiveness! I have requested a price match at AG and if they honour it I will pop in tomorrow and try a few out:

XR OS
Steelhead
Steelhead Pro
Ping G

Told by whom as they are brilliant and forgiving!!

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'd really question the point of a fitting if you've just started. Just use the ping fitting chart to make sure that you're not some sort of physical freak and then pick up a clean set of callaway or ping irons that are five years old off a second hand site. The idea of an AG salesman and a new golfer in one place together makes me feel a bit queasy....

Whatever you start with, you'll probably want something different in12 months, so minimize the damage.

Good luck with your lessons and hopefully you'll have a life of golfing pain ahead...

Rcaslake

Hacker
Visit site
after today's session I feel the steelheads were the best option. the M2 Irons are also very nice but due to being out of production they only come as standard.

I also decides to go with my local club pro for a fitting and clubs as I feel that (hopefully) he has my best interests at heart and not just after the commission.

BristolMike

Head Pro
Visit site
after today's session I feel the steelheads were the best option. the M2 Irons are also very nice but due to being out of production they only come as standard.

I also decides to go with my local club pro for a fitting and clubs as I feel that (hopefully) he has my best interests at heart and not just after the commission.

What specs did you get fit to? Were you longer as expected?

Rcaslake

Hacker
Visit site
my swing is still very inconsistent as the first time I picked up a club was a little over 4 weeks ago so it made the fitting a little difficult however I found that 0.25 extra club length did a wonder when helping with not topping the ball.

The fitting today was from AG but as the two members of staff that were watching had conflicting ideas on what was best for me. i decided to pop into my local pro and organise a real fitting using some technology rather than the mk.1 eyeball. a fitting with no figures to back it up was very discouraging when looking to part with the cash.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
my swing is still very inconsistent as the first time I picked up a club was a little over 4 weeks ago so it made the fitting a little difficult however I found that 0.25 extra club length did a wonder when helping with not topping the ball.

The fitting today was from AG but as the two members of staff that were watching had conflicting ideas on what was best for me. i decided to pop into my local pro and organise a real fitting using some technology rather than the mk.1 eyeball. a fitting with no figures to back it up was very discouraging when looking to part with the cash.

I'm not surprised at the difference of opinion but I'm afraid I have a jaundiced view of their process. Go with your local pro. As you say he'll have your interests at heart and will know your swing already.