Wrong ball played by two players

Sid Rixon IV

Head Pro
Visit site
Matchplay.
A/B v C/D
A and C hit their balls into greenside bunker.
Both balls are wet and sandy
A arrives a while after C and asks "Can we tell which is which?"
C says "Yes, mine is the nearest to green so you play first"
Both play out onto green and discover C was wrong and they have both played wrong ball.
A declares both are DQ'd from the hole.
C and D insist balls must be replaced and replayed.

It's a classic case of ignorance of rules but what is the ruling?
I'm looking at 15.3 Wrong ball - matchplay
"If player and opponent exchange balls during play of a hole, the first to make a stroke at the wrong ball loses the hole"

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
you need to look at 30-3 c

c. Wrong Ball

If a player incurs the loss of hole penalty under Rule 15-3a for making a stroke at a wrong ball, he is disqualified for that hole, but his partner incurs no penalty even if the wrong ball belongs to him. If the wrong ball belongs to another player, its owner must place a ball on the spot from which the wrong ball was first played.

In this case A is correct and both are DQ'd from the hole. If C had realised that A had played his ball before playing a wrong ball himself, he would have been able to get it replaced (as well as being even more unpopular with A of course!)

Sid Rixon IV

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Duncan.
I'm player A.
Am I right in assuming that if the error was spotted after I played, but before C played I'd be DQ'd and he could replace and play?
As soon as the error was realised I accepted my share of the "blame" for just taking an opponent's word (although given in good faith).
It's a classic example of two "experienced" players "explaining" the rules to two "inexperienced players (in terms of "knowing the rules")
As it wasn't an official club comp we simply deferred and we won anyway.

Edit: I forgot to mention that he was adamant that being in a hazard was relevant to his interpretation.

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
this one does have it's roots in the rules - but they changed!

previously you weren't permitted to move 'stuff' to identify your ball in a hazard; therefore you weren't penalised if the ball you played wasn't yours.

the only exception now is when playing a moving ball from moving water in a hazard...

I answered your other question in my previou reply....yes.

Sid Rixon IV

Head Pro
Visit site
The penalty is the same. DQ for the hole.
But only if he played the wrong ball too?
The responsibility to check I was playing the correct ball was mine.
If he'd misinformed me (deliberately), allowed me to play and then said "Oops, that was actually my ball" it's still my own fault and I get DQ'd from hole and he can replace and play?

If I suspected I was deliberately misinformed, though I wasn't, I'd be unable to prove it and even then it's my own fault for playing the ball?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
But only if he played the wrong ball too?
The responsibility to check I was playing the correct ball was mine.
If he'd misinformed me (deliberately), allowed me to play and then said "Oops, that was actually my ball" it's still my own fault and I get DQ'd from hole and he can replace and play?

If I suspected I was deliberately misinformed, though I wasn't, I'd be unable to prove it and even then it's my own fault for playing the ball?

Now you are into etiquette. This could very well be construed to be a serious breach and the side subject the DQ from the match.