Would you want to go for a pint with Matt Wallace?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Even by his own admission he’s let himself down a bit in the past year or so but, fair play to him, he seems to be trying hard at handling himself better. Have quite enjoyed ‘New Matt’ this week and his nasal breathing and robotics. Warmed a lot to him since they’ve been back playing again..

D

Deleted member 1147

He seems like a nice bloke, who gets to be a bit of an arse on the course at times.
I’d gladly have a pint with him ?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Even by his own admission he’s let himself down a bit in the past year or so but, fair play to him, he seems to be trying hard at handling himself better. Have quite enjoyed ‘New Matt’ this week and his nasal breathing and robotics. Warmed a lot to him since they’ve been back playing again..

Forgive my ignorance, why had he let himself down?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
On course, off course can alter people. I watched a decent amount of this afternoon and he came across well. Today's Matt Wallace was a much nicer person than we saw at times last year.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Forgive my ignorance, why had he let himself down?

Treated his caddy terribly and lots of strops. Pete Cowen said he should be banned for his on-course behaviour. All a bit over intense but seems in a great place now and trying hard with everything

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Treated his caddy terribly and lots of strops. Pete Cowen said he should be banned for his on-course behaviour. All a bit over intense but seems in a great place now and trying hard with everything

Ok thanks.

Don’t follow it all that intensely, but being banned for being intense or trying too hard seems OTT, it can be an emotive sport if your hung up on winning, and your livelihood relies on it.

But then seasoned pro’s get a squeeze when they alter cards of use ‘Antler Spay, which is blatant cheating, imo.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Love his golf swing. But not sure there are any sports people I would want to go for a beer with. It's just not my thing. The only thing we have in common is he plays golf, and I play something that resembles golf on a good day.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
So we've no idea if the bloke will be smiley or stroppy and you want to know if we'd top him up with alcohol

That's worse than a fella that's consistently one or the other

Nah

Last edited:

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Golfers tend to fall into a few specific categories,
There’s the cool professional like Justin Rose, who maybe comes across as a bit boring,
There’s the mad scientist, who whilst interesting has the personality of a Dead Sea slug
Other categories are available

Or there are Some players with a bit of personality and character about them
Phil Mick, Patrick Reid, Poults etc and I’d include Wallace in there.

Possibly not the most popular or well liked, but yeah I’d happily have a pint with him

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Sums up many golfers.:eek:

Absolutely spot on, both in the pro ranks and at our own clubs.

My regular playing partner is a genuinely nice bloke off the course but can be appalling company on it if things aren’t going well, so much so that even I sometimes have to give him a wide berth.

The intensity of sport changes many of us to the point we often behave in a manner we wouldn’t in any other circumstance. Unfortunately for Matt Wallace it’s all done in full view of the galleries and viewing public.

Would I share a beer with him? Too right I would. I’d love to hear some of his war stories.