Perfect day for golf, shame it got ruined!

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Discretion is the better part of valour dude ;)

Huh?

So i should have let them straight through for holding them up for 30 seconds on one hole?

All I'm saying is that in your bid to stay ahead of them you've ended up (inadvertently or otherwise) ruining your round. You tried for 6 holes to build a gap and couldn't, so my point is, as they were obviously on a mission, why not just stop at a bench, enjoy the scenery, have a drink/tab/mars bar and let them on their way?

Sometimes, it doesn't matter if you're right.

If i knew then that they were going to be playing speed golf i would have let them through but i thought then with them being a 2 ball that i would easily get a nice gap up which i did until i had a nightmare on the long par 5 10th and not to mention having to wait for the greenkeeper for 5 mins on the fairway while there were carrying out some work.

It's just the way she shouted at me like a school teacher from about 100 yards away to tell me what i can and can't do. All she had to do was ask me if i minded if i waited 10 mins on the tee of the par 3 while they finished on the par 5 and played the par 3 which i would have done even though i would have been well out of there way if she hadn't spent 5 mins lecturing me on what i can and can't do on the golf course.

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
I walked off up to the par 3 geen, picked one ball up, chipped the other one on, putted then as i was just putting the flag back in she hit her tee shot, it was 20 or so yard short of me but straight at me!

She was bang out of order! You should have taken out your hybrid and nailed her ball into the next field :)

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I walked off up to the par 3 geen, picked one ball up, chipped the other one on, putted then as i was just putting the flag back in she hit her tee shot, it was 20 or so yard short of me but straight at me!

She was bang out of order! You should have taken out your hybrid and nailed her ball into the next field :)

It did cross my mind to get an iron out and hit back towards them but i thought better of it as i didn't want to stoop to there level and i would have only thinned it into the nearest bush! :)

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
For what it's worth I too think you should have just asked them through. If they caught you (even if it was once and only 30 seconds wait etc) it's pretty clear they were playing faster than you. Some people are arses, so why give them the amunition? If you had asked them then, even if they said carry on (which they may well have done), you would have then held the moral high ground. As it is (to them) you were a 1-ball holding up a 2-ball which shouldn't really happen and if you were playing two balls then I'm not surprised they had a bit of a moan.

I agree with what StrangelyBrown said. It's about avoiding the crap and enjoying yourself. You are the one saying your day has been ruined and you are the one that could so easily have solved the "problem".

BROOKIE

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
must agree with strangelybrown,what I tend to do is light up
a nice cigar with a sip or too of JD and let the world and
his wife thru to the next hole..

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
At least you know for next time and clearly it ruined the round as you were rushing everything. If I'm playing on my own and others catch me I'll usually wave them through at the first opportunity. We do have a local rule saying not practicing on the course or playing two balls but to be honest everyone does it and providing you aren't bombing wedges in from 80 yards and making pitch marks or taking the mickey in bunkers then what harm is there.

Some people have a certain arrogance on the golf course and it is something you'll definitely come across again. I try not to stoop to the level of swearing at them and fine a polite and civil response winds them up even more

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe i should have let them through so i wouldn't have had the hassle but in all honestley how many people on here would expect to be let straight through if you were held up once in 18 holes by someone for 30 seconds at most while they raked a bunker?

What got my back up the most and made me swear at them was that she hit her tee shot while i was on the par3 green and still well in range of her, that's just dangerous and stupid and you can kill someone or cause serious injury if you hit them.

And they tell us to respect out elders! pffft :)