The all things EV chat thread

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
So the cars are too expensive and charging takes too long?
Yes. The cars are too expensive.

Charging times isn't such a big deal for me, because 90% of my driving is short local trips. But it would kind of irritate me to have to hang around waiting for a charge on the rare occasions I do make a long journey. (Our days of driving to the Alps for skiing are probably over, but I hate to think how long THAT would take in an EV).
Do you calculate the outlay recoup time for anything else you buy?
Not many things. I did for the solar panels I bought in 2011 (payback was 7 years).

But not sure I see your point. The thing is, I need a car to get me from A to B, carry my golf clubs, and occasionally do a long trip.
If choosing an EV means the overall cost of doing so over the lifetime of the car is greater than choosing a petrol, then I have to think very hard whether my drop in the ocean contribution towards saving the planet is worth it. (A much better use of several thousand quid for environmental good would be to beef up the house insulation. It might even be more financially worthwhile).

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes. The cars are too expensive.

Charging times isn't such a big deal for me, because 90% of my driving is short local trips. But it would kind of irritate me to have to hang around waiting for a charge on the rare occasions I do make a long journey. (Our days of driving to the Alps for skiing are probably over, but I hate to think how long THAT would take in an EV).

Not many things. I did for the solar panels I bought in 2011 (payback was 7 years).

But not sure I see your point. The thing is, I need a car to get me from A to B, carry my golf clubs, and occasionally do a long trip.
If choosing an EV means the overall cost of doing so over the lifetime of the car is greater than choosing a petrol, then I have to think very hard whether my drop in the ocean contribution towards saving the planet is worth it. (A much better use of several thousand quid for environmental good would be to beef up the house insulation. It might even be more financially worthwhile).

If you have solar panels, so free fuel, why would the overall cost of the car be greater than choosing a petrol car?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
If you have solar panels, so free fuel, why would the overall cost of the car be greater than choosing a petrol car?
Because my mileage is low and therefore the cost of the fuel isn't that significant. The difference in purchase price of the car is the dominating factor.

(As it happens I've now moved house and no longer have solar panels, but that's irrelevant)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The difference in purchase price of the car is the dominating factor.

But we all know that will come down in price, especially when the Chinese cars arrive.

I've said all along, EVs aren't for everyone....yet.
The charging infrastructure isn't there yet
They're too expensive and take too long to charge.
But there are lots of clever people out there working hard to sort out these issues.
Patience

Mandofred

Visit site
But we all know that will come down in price, especially when the Chinese cars arrive.

I've said all along, EVs aren't for everyone....yet.
The charging infrastructure isn't there yet
They're too expensive and take too long to charge.
But there are lots of clever people out there working hard to sort out these issues.
Patience
We'll see. I figure I'll be up for a new car in a couple of years, and likely a petrol. I'm low mileage (5,000 or less a year), so the extra cost just doesn't work for me. So for me.....I'm thinking what will be around in 10 more years? I can charge from home, so no problem there......I'm low mileage, so if the cost can get fairly close to what I can get that's petrol.....I'd be all for it. Granted....I'll be 75 by then:mad:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
We'll see. I figure I'll be up for a new car in a couple of years, and likely a petrol. I'm low mileage (5,000 or less a year), so the extra cost just doesn't work for me. So for me.....I'm thinking what will be around in 10 more years? I can charge from home, so no problem there......I'm low mileage, so if the cost can get fairly close to what I can get that's petrol.....I'd be all for it. Granted....I'll be 75 by then:mad:

In 2011, you could only buy one EV, the Nissan Leaf with a range of 80 miles.
Currently, the Tesla model S and the Mercedes EQS will both do over 400 miles on one charge.
I don't know what your bladder range is but that's plenty for me.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Currently, the Tesla model S and the Mercedes EQS will both do over 400 miles on one charge.

But then you come back to the price argument. According to a quick Google, the Tesla Model S is £56k to £138k new and from around £26k used (on Carwow). The EQS is from £105k OTR price. That's a whole lot of money to be paying out to get the 400 mile range.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
But then you come back to the price argument. According to a quick Google, the Tesla Model S is £56k to £138k new and from around £26k used (on Carwow). The EQS is from £105k OTR price. That's a whole lot of money to be paying out to get the 400 mile range.

I know how much the cars cost, I was showing how far technology has come in such a short time, from 80 miles to 400 plus, which shows what is possible today.
Yes, the cost is high at the moment but as I have so many times, that will come down.

Take a look at the cost of Lithium over the last few years and you'll see why 1. Evs are expensive and 2. why scientists are currently trying to perfect the sodium-ion batteries which have no cobalt or Lithium.

Mandofred

Visit site
You aren't understanding what I'm writing....I don't need a car to go 400 miles. I don't need it to charge in 5 minutes. For ME, buying an electric just doesn't make sense financially. I don't drive enough for the difference in cost to make any sense. I've had my car (Suzuki Vitara) for over 3.5 years......I'm about 16,500 miles at this time. If the cost of an electric will come down within a couple of thousand of something I'd replace mine with in a couple of years (like a Skoda Karoq) I'd be more than happy to make the switch....it would work for me.....and if it does I will make the switch happily.

The future?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
As I posted already, improvements are coming.... whether it's the longer range, more/better/faster/working chargers but the price hasn't dropped as expected and that is down to the huge increase in the price of Lithium.
Once the scientists can perfect the new battery technology that doesn't use cobalt or Lithium, then the cost will drop as the cost of the battery is a large chunk of the cost of the car

Last edited:

Mandofred

Visit site
As I posted already, improvements are coming.... whether it's the longer range, more/better/faster/working chargers but the price hasn't dropped as expected and that is down to the huge increase in the price in Lithium.
Once the scientists can perfect the new battery technology that doesn't use cobalt or Lithium, then the cost will drop as the cost of the battery is a large chunk of the cost of the car
I hope it does.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As I posted already, improvements are coming.... whether it's the longer range, more/better/faster/working chargers but the price hasn't dropped as expected and that is down to the huge increase in the price in Lithium.

Let's not pretend that cars are cheap, brand new they are all ridiculous prices

Ford focus 26k list price leaf 28k list price

Similar size cars for sure

However it's the second hand market due to the supply of ice cars compared that make them affordable

Won't be long

Lots of lease deals coming up to hand back which become used cars

Problem really is people can afford to IE say a niro EV is 40k for example. People are happy to pay that for a BMW but they don't want to pay that for a Kia .. it's brand snobbery coming in aswell

Need the affordability to come down for more to take off

But hey for now sod it, we both love our EV driving life

Wife is out in the EV ATM, and I'll take it work tomorrow

Up to 21,000 miles in it for bugger all cost , but then it really suits me

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
338950897_616580819894459_5871313901110801922_n.jpg

HPIMG

Visit site
My wife’s had her electric car for a few days now and loves it. I think I’m starting to come round. I was just not really interested in them but it has me thinking possibly my next car might be electric now.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My wife’s had her electric car for a few days now and loves it. I think I’m starting to come round. I was just not really interested in them but it has me thinking possibly my next car might be electric now.

They are lovely once your used to

I can't wait for Jan 25 to change to my next

Niro EV or leaf appealing , depends on price and way the world is

If they work for you they are better but if they don't then their not