The all things EV chat thread

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I’m finding it very hard to differentiate between this thread and the “would you buy an EV” thread.

Contemplating merging both

Any convincing arguments for not merging please post 👍

Can’t we just all agree that EV’s are more hassle than they’re worth, and close both threads?

😉

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hmmm, 8 years doesn't really compare well to the life of an internal combustion engine.

I have a TV that was guaranteed for 1 year.
After the year was up I didn't throw it away, it's still working perfectly well 10 years later.
The point is just because the guarantee is 8 years, it's not going to suddenly stop working after 8 years. Yes, there will be a gradual reduction in range as the years go on but the newer the battery the longer it will last

I've just checked the following manufacturers warranties....
BMW 3 Years
Ford 3 Years
Mazda 3 years
Audi 2 years
Skoda 3 years
Vauxhall 3 years
etc

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
In 2010 things were different...
''The average cost of an electric car battery in 2021 was c.£87 per kWh. While this is still expensive, it is much lower than in 2010 when an electric car battery cost c.£763 per kWh.
Unfortunately, this does make an electric car battery replacement a very expensive job. As of December 2023, the average electric car battery costs £5,378.43 in the UK (estimated)''

£3393 for my Nissan Leaf.

https://bookmygarage.com/electric-vehicles/how-much-does-an-electric-battery-cost-uk/

These prices are expected to continue to fall.

So when Jeremy Clarkson said you have to change the battery every 3 years and will cost £20,000, he was talking rubbish.
And while I'm at it, you cannot just unplug a car that's charging, they are locked into the car and the charger.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After 2 and a bit years with my e208 I’ve ordered the Cupra Born. So would you buy an electric car again? Yes. Works for me!

My personal advice (dunno if you agree) is avoid the stellious group (Peugeot, vauxhall) the electric side is ok but the quality of the car is awful

My driver's seat stitching is already coming apart ... I mean my big car is 7 years old from SEAT and gets treated like a work horse .. yet actually build quality is miles better

Copra looks lovely

I want leaf e plus or Kia niro next

IMG20230309133306_copy_1024x1365.jpg

I mean come on .. 20,000 miles on clock and the state of it

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
My personal advice (dunno if you agree) is avoid the stellious group (Peugeot, vauxhall) the electric side is ok but the quality of the car is awful

My driver's seat stitching is already coming apart ... I mean my big car is 7 years old from SEAT and gets treated like a work horse .. yet actually build quality is miles better

Copra looks lovely

I want leaf e plus or Kia niro next

View attachment 46910

I mean come on .. 20,000 miles on clock and the state of it

Had no quality issue with the Peugeot though others got a frosty screen. If they had another electric model to order I would consider it. Did have the common ABS loom fault. Out of 5 people at work with them all but one has had it.
It was between the born or the MG4. Pulled up in the car park to look at the MG4 and the missus said no too boy racer ish and the wheels look crap🤣 didn’t even get to get out the car.
I was hoping the Tesla hatchback was out by now but no sign of that soon.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had no quality issue with the Peugeot though others got a frosty screen. If they had another electric model to order I would consider it. Did have the common ABS loom fault. Out of 5 people at work with them all but one has had it.
It was between the born or the MG4. Pulled up in the car park to look at the MG4 and the missus said no too boy racer ish and the wheels look crap🤣 didn’t even get to get out the car.
I was hoping the Tesla hatchback was out by now but no sign of that soon.

I had the loom fault just last month! They had to borrow a part from a stock car because they can't get them

Affects all models not just electric

Who would have thought the French and poor wiring

Scoobiesnax

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Mrs is considering getting a Tesla Model Y as a company car. Quite intrigued and would be a good preview into life with electric cars. I've said if she does go down that route for us to put a double charger in early as I no doubt will have to get an electric car in the coming years.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mrs is considering getting a Tesla Model Y as a company car. Quite intrigued and would be a good preview into life with electric cars. I've said if she does go down that route for us to put a double charger in early as I no doubt will have to get an electric car in the coming years.

Really depends how often you need to charge..If you could do every other night then one charger is more than enough

Double charger would use a lot of power at once .. some networks wouldn't let you get them I believe, or would make it so they balanced the charge a bit between them

I'd say get one proper charger and an outside plug set up at the same time

Then if you did need to charge the second one you could use the 3 pin charger

If you find it doesn't work and you need more then could add the other one rather than spend a fair bit a cash for something you might not need

HPIMG

Visit site
Been test driving a bunch of electric cars all week turns out wife really likes the bmw ix I really don’t like it at all. Trying my hardest to talk her out of it.
My main concern is the batteries are just ok the now but in say 2/3 years I would expect a leap forward in technology and meaning there’s a high chance you end up stuck with the car because no one wants old technology. Anyone thinking like me ?

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
Been test driving a bunch of electric cars all week turns out wife really likes the bmw ix I really don’t like it at all. Trying my hardest to talk her out of it.
My main concern is the batteries are just ok the now but in say 2/3 years I would expect a leap forward in technology and meaning there’s a high chance you end up stuck with the car because no one wants old technology. Anyone thinking like me ?
That was a concern of mine, but in the end I took the view that if you put off buying things today because something better will come along then you'll never buy anything.