The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't disagree. But It's a small piece of a very big pie.
Most of my work can be done from home. And the business has recognised that. But it's very difficult to build things sitting at home working in your pyjamas.

Sometimes you just need to be on site dealing with a problem.

Fully agree but I hope going forward that more of the stuff that can be done at home is done so and the stuff that can't obviously can't be

I mean I can't work from home so I have to travel

But like sending people to smooze clients over lunch in Rome when could be done over zoom for a meeting should be days of the past.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Going back on to the hydrogen comments, our company is planning to move all its trucks globally over to Hydrogen Fuel Cell. The plan is for company cars to be electric or hybrid.
Air Products and Cummins to Accelerate Development and Deployment of Hydrogen Fuel Cell Trucks
I don't necessarily agree with the emotive statements of driving a bomb, as that can be got around with good design quite easily. The more difficult thing is the infrastructure to refuel them.
However, given that we are one of the world's largest producers of Hydrogen, refuelling the trucks every night at the depot shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mate of mine works for VW .
He gave me a go of his ID3 .( golf sized hatchback).
I was very impressed ,stunning car.
Until he told me it cost £40K there lies the problem

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Mate of mine works for VW .
He gave me a go of his ID3 .( golf sized hatchback).
I was very impressed ,stunning car.
Until he told me it cost £40K there lies the problem

Who pays the sticker price though? Surely what counts it how much the monthly payments are.

Is it expensive compared to an equivalent Golf?
The most basic Golf is £23k, the GTI Starts at £32k, GTE starts at £36k, an R starts at £40k and can be speced to over £50k.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Who pays the sticker price though? Surely what counts it how much the monthly payments are.

Is it expensive compared to an equivalent Golf?
The most basic Golf is £23k, the GTI Starts at £32k, GTE starts at £36k, an R starts at £40k and can be speced to over £50k.
It’s a lovely car .
But it’s not a type R.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I believe there are some people who thing electric vehicles are bad for the environment because of the way they are manufactured, driven and charged, this may interest you...

''Results show that even for cars registered today, battery electric vehicles (BEVs) have by far the lowest life-cycle GHG emissions. As illustrated in the figure below, emissions over the lifetime of average medium-size BEVs registered today are already lower than comparable gasoline cars by 66%–69% in Europe''

https://theicct.org/publications/global-LCA-passenger-cars-jul2021

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Polestar Precept. ??

Each to their own mate, but not for me. Those suicide doors are awful, a gimmick that serves no purpose and (if you've used SDs before) it's actually harder to get in when parked close to another object.

Also kinda reminds me of the BMW 6er when it launched in that the front is nice but looks like the designer got fed up by the time they reached the back end and just went "sod it, that'll do"... Slightly i8-ish from the side. But the back, looks like what we thought futuristic cars would look like back in the 80s :D

Wonder what the coinage will be on that?

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Each to their own mate, but not for me. Those suicide doors are awful, a gimmick that serves no purpose and (if you've used SDs before) it's actually harder to get in when parked close to another object.

Also kinda reminds me of the BMW 6er when it launched in that the front is nice but looks like the designer got fed up by the time they reached the back end and just went "sod it, that'll do"... Slightly i8-ish from the side. But the back, looks like what we thought futuristic cars would look like back in the 80s :D

Wonder what the coinage will be on that?

Ive ignored the practicalities of it and just based on what was shown on the Autotrader video. I’m sure the production car will be watered down.

Actually, looking at the thumbnail pic of the car, it looks like a Nissan GTR!

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ive ignored the practicalities of it and just based on what was shown on the Autotrader video. I’m sure the production car will be watered down.

Actually, looking at the thumbnail pic of the car, it looks like a Nissan GTR!

I watched the video on the website, when the lead designer is talking through the nylon seats and organic materials and just took my impressions from that. Hopefully they see the light with the doors and maybe tone down the wrap around tail lights.

Front end is nice looking just needs the same level of attention on the back IMO.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Just purchased a Matte Grey Fiat 500e today for the wife, not a bad little car really but twice as much as the original petrol fiat 500's were. There a bit more pricey than I feel there worth but she wanted to go fully electric and she loves the new ones.

Pick it up Thursday once it's registered, got a few extra's but there are some cheap plasticy bits inside on what little amount of buttons there are inside.

She has charging points at work so it's free electric for her and we have a charge point at home too.

I love a big diesel these days for the mile munching but I do enjoy driving the EV's these days too. Much cheaper than my diesel too!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Our Hyundai dealership have just taken delivery of their first Ioniq 5. I'm not a great fan of Hyundai if I'm honest, but this does look something special (if you like that sort of thing)......the only things I don't like about it are the wheels. But when you're sitting inside you can't see those.......

2022-hyundai-ioniq-5_100792742.jpg

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Our Hyundai dealership have just taken delivery of their first Ioniq 5. I'm not a great fan of Hyundai if I'm honest, but this does look something special (if you like that sort of thing)......the only things I don't like about it are the wheels. But when you're sitting inside you can't see those.......

View attachment 37919

We move lots of Hyundai electrics around, and concur the Ionic 5 is really nice as is the Kona

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Thinking of pulling the trigger on a Toyota hybrid but stuck between 2… a Yaris or a Corolla. As 95% of our journeys are less than 10km, and mostly urban the 84mpg for the urban cycle is very attractive.

Providing we can get 2xmidsize suitcases in it the Yaris is the favourite but having done a number of ‘B&Q’ runs recently… Corolla?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thinking of pulling the trigger on a Toyota hybrid but stuck between 2… a Yaris or a Corolla. As 95% of our journeys are less than 10km, and mostly urban the 84mpg for the urban cycle is very attractive.

Providing we can get 2xmidsize suitcases in it the Yaris is the favourite but having done a number of ‘B&Q’ runs recently… Corolla?

Corolla. I had the auris hybrid which it replaced I believe. Similar size anyways

My sister had the Yaris hybrid. It's very small

Least with the corolla you can get a little extra in

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Yaris is a great car for a single person but it has some limitations. The Corolla is a good middle ground, still easy to park, gives you more flexibility for carrying things, having passengers etc.