The all things EV chat thread

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was at the Scottish Open today, sponsored by Genesis, posh Hyundai. Anyway, loads to look at put your head in. Looked very nice, inside and out.

The nice lady said whilst the claimed mileage was 350 plus the real world was about 300. That's enough, for me anyway.

If anyone is thinking of going electric then I'd suggest having a look at this brand. I can't comment on how they drive but they looked great ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was at the Scottish Open today, sponsored by Genesis, posh Hyundai. Anyway, loads to look at put your head in. Looked very nice, inside and out.

The nice lady said whilst the claimed mileage was 350 plus the real world was about 300. That's enough, for me anyway.

If anyone is thinking of going electric then I'd suggest having a look at this brand. I can't comment on how they drive but they looked great ?

they are the same as kia aswell so they also one to consider

I think they are becoming the real game changers to challenge tesla

MG is cheap though, see so many of them now as private hire cars because they are like 280 miles range

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
they are the same as kia aswell so they also one to consider

I think they are becoming the real game changers to challenge tesla

MG is cheap though, see so many of them now as private hire cars because they are like 280 miles range
The only thing that might hamper Genesis is when other mfrs sue them for the clearly lifted emblem and car designs ??. We thought we were seeing Aston Martins as we approached the course and had multiple player courtesy cars passing us ?

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The only thing that might hamper Genesis is when other mfrs sue them for the clearly lifted emblem and car designs ??. We thought we were seeing Aston Martins as we approached the course and had multiple player courtesy cars passing us ?

Isn’t the price on the Genesis pretty high? The Kia/Hyundai are the main stream brands with the Genesis being the more prestige variant?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Isn’t the price on the Genesis pretty high? The Kia/Hyundai are the main stream brands with the Genesis being the more prestige variant?
Yes, it's their equivalent of Lexus for Toyota but I had a quick look yesterday and I don't think they were silly, define silly of course. As much as anything right now I'm looking down the line and the more options out there the better. It should drive prices down, lengthen range etc.

The cars I saw yesterday looked like cars I'd want to drive. They looked like regular shaped cars that happened to be electric. They were also sexy inside. All of that is a positive, even if I can't justify the price currently. Hopefully the other mfrs will be watching and aiming for the same, or better.

LCW

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am looking at replacing our car that does our longer journeys. I would love to get an electric car and it’s my first time researching them and boy was it it an eye opener. I have have come to the conclusion that they are not remotely affordable for someone like me.

Out of interest I was looking at the kias and Skodas on the web (I dismissed a Tesla as I knew the cost would be mental). Looking at what I would call a middle of the range brand the retail pricing is basically 45-50k for either if you want any kind of mileage range. I’d dread to think what bmw and Audi for example cost. I looked at some lease deals and monthly, it’s basically what I pay for the mortgage. Even used prices seems to be extremely high given the difficulty and the waiting lists on new e-cars.

Don’t see me ever owning one due to the mental costs that don’t seem to be tumbling but are going up, like everything I suppose.

According to a conversation I over heard about having a nice car once what should I do, oh yes just work harder.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am looking at replacing our car that does our longer journeys. I would love to get an electric car and it’s my first time researching them and boy was it it an eye opener. I have have come to the conclusion that they are not remotely affordable for someone like me.

Out of interest I was looking at the kias and Skodas on the web (I dismissed a Tesla as I knew the cost would be mental). Looking at what I would call a middle of the range brand the retail pricing is basically 45-50k for either if you want any kind of mileage range. I’d dread to think what bmw and Audi for example cost. I looked at some lease deals and monthly, it’s basically what I pay for the mortgage. Even used prices seems to be extremely high given the difficulty and the waiting lists on new e-cars.

Don’t see me ever owning one due to the mental costs that don’t seem to be tumbling but are going up, like everything I suppose.

According to a conversation I over heard about having a nice car once what should I do, oh yes just work harder.

Not cheap for sure, but worth a look at octopus ev salary sacrifice lease scheme. It’s a bit like cycle to work but for EVs. The best part is everything (including insurance and breakdown as well as usual lease stuff like services and tyres) is included. So it’s literally just the cost to charge it, which, however you look at it, will be cheaper than fuel.

Reactions: LCW

LCW

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not cheap for sure, but worth a look at octopus ev salary sacrifice lease scheme. It’s a bit like cycle to work but for EVs. The best part is everything (including insurance and breakdown as well as usual lease stuff like services and tyres) is included. So it’s literally just the cost to charge it, which, however you look at it, will be cheaper than fuel.
Thanks will take a look. Never heard of this scheme/site.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Just look at the contract small print incase you ever fancy leaving you job as I think from member the reduced costs expire to full lease value and I’m not sure if there’s a clause that or can’t be transferred over.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As I left work yest I was speaking to a colleague and he is looking at second hand i3 for a second car , which he will share with his sister as he borrows her car for work whilst his Mrs has the big car for the kids.

I asked about charging for him
Apparently she lives in a new build flat, with underground parking and electric points , tap your card and it bills your flat for the charge

Fantastic idea

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Good to see the developer has taken the initiative to put an RFID based system in. Taking into account that it’s flats, the management company will make more of EV long term than they will off management costs as they can set their own charging rates. When electric was 20p/kWh I was aware of a management company charging 35p/kWh.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
So after 256 days of waiting the trailer arrived at 8:30am this morning with the new motor! The first thing to say is that I am a very tech savvy person but even I feel a little overwhelmed by the amount of buttons/menus/settings there are in the car however the driving is simple, put it in 'D' and off you go!! It's very fast and amazingly quiet especially having been in the wife's Mini Convertible for the last 6 weeks or so!!

Timing of the delivery was brilliant as I've spent a couple of hours today working whilst sat in the back seats with the air con on full with the laptop plugged in!! :D:D

i5 Finally.jpg

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
So after 256 days of waiting the trailer arrived at 8:30am this morning with the new motor! The first thing to say is that I am a very tech savvy person but even I feel a little overwhelmed by the amount of buttons/menus/settings there are in the car however the driving is simple, put it in 'D' and off you go!! It's very fast and amazingly quiet especially having been in the wife's Mini Convertible for the last 6 weeks or so!!

Timing of the delivery was brilliant as I've spent a couple of hours today working whilst sat in the back seats with the air con on full with the laptop plugged in!! :D:D

View attachment 43534

Nice. My boys like the Ioniq5. What is the golf bag capacity like?

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Very smart, nice design. Are the wheels really big or is that a bit of an optical illusion?

They're 20" alloys so fairly large although don't look ridiculous as the car is actually larger than it looks if that makes sense!!

The front wheels look massive and the back wheels look small so I'm guessing it's the angle the photo has been taken from.

I think that's a combo of my angle and the pretty steep drive!