World Handicap System

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it’s Stableford by the way and what you’re saying is there are still courtesy shots......

I'm sure Dr Stableford appreciated his name being capitalised, but I don't capitalise stableford when referring to the format any more than I do if referring to medal or match play. But never mind that, the really important thing is that I most certainly was not saying there are still courtesy shots. Can something still exist that never existed in the first place? :unsure:

TheBlackCat

Hacker
Visit site
What are the handicap allowances for 3-ball teams stroke play? We normally play best 2 out of 3 scores to count. Is this 85% handicap allowance, the same as 4-ball teams?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
4 ball Better Ball stableford tomorrow!!

Pre WHS , you only keyed the best score, in the correct column so the stroke allowance could be properly allocated. Other player column for that hole left blank. (and etiquette dictates you pick up when your partner holes out for better than you can do)

Under WHS, (and I am in Wales!)

a) If you only key one score per hole, with the other player be allocated a NR for the hole? And get a false score on his playing record.

If yes,

b) Are all players now expected to keep playing till they hole out as if it was singles??? Good way of slowing down play! :)

Or, is it clever enough to know it is 4BBB and there is no problem?

Do I need to record my score on the practice putting green? (ok, kidding about that one!)

IanMcC

Visit site

Pre WHS , you only keyed the best score, in the correct column so the stroke allowance could be properly allocated. Other player column for that hole left blank. (and etiquette dictates you pick up when your partner holes out for better than you can do)

a) If you only key one score per hole, with the other player be allocated a NR for the hole? And get a false score on his playing record.

If yes,

b) Are all players now expected to keep playing till they hole out as if it was singles??? Good way of slowing down play! :)

Do I need to record my score on the practice putting green? (ok, kidding about that one!)
We ran one a fortnight ago. We use ClubV1 and we are also in Wales. It is a non qualifying format, so nothing will go through to the handicap records. I found it easier to type a 0 for the non scorer. You can build up a better rhythm that way.

wjemather

Visit site

If yes,

4BBB is not at authorised format for handicapping in Wales, so scores will not go through to WHS.

If/when it is, most likely score will come with it.

wjemather

Visit site
Do you think will become an authorised format? It does seem that the rules-police want everything on the system!

I hope not, it'll change the tactical nature of the game. Eg. Par 3 - partner on the green, you go straight a "the sucker pin" you'd have nothing to do with in singles play! :)
Ireland are trialling (partial) inclusion of 4BBB (and match play) scores, so I expect it will probably filter through at some point.

Given how bad most players course management is anyway, I guess I don't see the tactical considerations of these formats as having much effect on their play or handicap (assuming it is reasonably accurate by virtue of having a good number of relatively recent scores).

IanMcC

Visit site
Do you think will become an authorised format? It does seem that the rules-police want everything on the system!

I hope not, it'll change the tactical nature of the game. Eg. Par 3 - partner on the green, you go straight a "the sucker pin" you'd have nothing to do with in singles play! :)
Completely agree. In a Greensome comp recently I was playing with someone with a slightly higher Course Handicap than me, but he is very consistent off the tee. He hit 14 out of 14 fairways. He teed off first, which left me with a free hit. I tried to be cavalier at a lot of tees and failed dismally. My solo score would have plonked a great big Differential on my record, but we finished a decent 9th in the comp. It will be a black day indeed when match play, Greensome and 4BBB scores are logged.

wjemather

Visit site
Completely agree. In a Greensome comp recently I was playing with someone with a slightly higher Course Handicap than me, but he is very consistent off the tee. He hit 14 out of 14 fairways. He teed off first, which left me with a free hit. I tried to be cavalier at a lot of tees and failed dismally. My solo score would have plonked a great big Differential on my record, but we finished a decent 9th in the comp. It will be a black day indeed when match play, Greensome and 4BBB scores are logged.
I don't see how any alternate shot format could be used and as far as I am aware there is no proposal to do so.

Also, one differential is not going to affect your handicap at all when there are 19 other scores to select your best eight from.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Ireland are trialling (partial) inclusion of 4BBB (and match play) scores, so I expect it will probably filter through at some point.
Given how bad most players course management is anyway, I guess I don't see the tactical considerations of these formats as having much effect on their play or handicap .

How can that be right? Surely you have played a better ball comp where you try to "do something different" because of the shot your partner has just played???

Course management has nothing to go with it. Eg You have a birdie putt, your partner just holed for par. "You ain't lagging it!" BUT if you have to count your score, no way you are belting it 4 feet past.

That's novice stuff... if you play the game...

wjemather

Visit site
How can that be right? Surely you have played a better ball comp where you try to "do something different" because of the shot your partner has just played???

Course management has nothing to go with it. Eg You have a birdie putt, your partner just holed for par. "You ain't lagging it!" BUT if you have to count your score, no way you are belting it 4 feet past.

That's novice stuff... if you play the game...
Trying to do something different doesn't equate to producing a different result for many golfers, and even when it does the good/bad tend to even themselves out. Also, using MLS the putt raced 4 feet past would be counted as one additional stroke for handicapping (i.e. effectively a gimme) making no difference from the lagged two-putt.