World Handicap System

D-S

Visit site
All you need to do is look at the veracity of handicaps in the US to realise that including most rounds/formats is a disastrous idea. In effect no one believes at all anyone’s handicap unless they are a regular playing partner. Club and inter club handicap tournaments are few and far between as there is no trust in the system. Vanity handicaps are common so the feat of achieving a goal of getting to below 18 or single figures or old style Cat 1 or scratch is diminished as people can and do have handicaps that they have never played to. Conversely sandbagging (banditry) is so rife that handicap competition or matches versus strangers are almost non existent.
Why we want to get closer to such a system is beyond me.

D-S

Visit site
I thought part of the WHS system was that players are obliged to achieve their best possible score at each hole.
In matchplay this is not the intention of one’s play at all, my intention is to achieve a score net one better than my opponent not my best score. In 4BB if you are solely intent on achieving your best possible score with no regard to how your playing partner lies, fundamentally you are not playing it right. You might as well play singles strokeplay rounds separately and compare cards in the bar to see how the team had done or who won the match if your best personal score should be the goal.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought part of the WHS system was that players are obliged to achieve their best possible score at each hole.
In matchplay this is not the intention of one’s play at all, my intention is to achieve a score net one better than my opponent not my best score. In 4BB if you are solely intent on achieving your best possible score with no regard to how your playing partner lies, fundamentally you are not playing it right. You might as well play singles strokeplay rounds separately and compare cards in the bar to see how the team had done or who won the match if your best personal score should be the goal.
Had a problem yesterday.
We played a board comp Bogey.
So matchplay against the course.
On one hole I had a putt for half ,under normal conditions I would have a good go at it. As the next one dosnt matter in matchplay .
But got into my head that my score is needed to go in for WHS
I didn’t know what to do and must say in a Bogey its not ideal to second guess yourself.
Got beat one down .
We then found out that the IG app is not able to handle a bogey score. Why I don’t know.
Bit of a farce tbh.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All you need to do is look at the veracity of handicaps in the US to realise that including most rounds/formats is a disastrous idea. In effect no one believes at all anyone’s handicap unless they are a regular playing partner. Club and inter club handicap tournaments are few and far between as there is no trust in the system. Vanity handicaps are common so the feat of achieving a goal of getting to below 18 or single figures or old style Cat 1 or scratch is diminished as people can and do have handicaps that they have never played to. Conversely sandbagging (banditry) is so rife that handicap competition or matches versus strangers are almost non existent.
Why we want to get closer to such a system is beyond me.
I have played with loads of Americans and not one has ever had an official handicap.
When asked they normally say “ oh about 12”
Then rip it 300 yds ,and sink every putt they have.
The vast majority are not members anywhere it’s just to expensive over there.

D

Deleted member 15344

Well in my short time playing golf I have never heard of so many sub 60 rounds or 60 winning comps - was it like this when they changed last time ?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well in my short time playing golf I have never heard of so many sub 60 rounds or 60 winning comps - was it like this when they changed last time ?
No.
When I started playing anything under 65 was a miracle.
But you more or less had to play to a decent standard to even get in a club then.
So 28 cappers were rare , sub 60 was not even discussed.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

When I joined my club back in the 80s you could hit the ball just about anywhere on the course and get away with it. I remember one Saturday medal I shot a nett 61 and was in 5th place.

Major tree planting just prior to me joining and even bigger one a few years later and a very different golf course.