World Handicap System

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, that must be it. That isn't what the rule says though. 5.2b says:

"A Handicap Index is calculated from the lowest Score Differentials in the scoring record. If a scoring record contains at least 20 Score Differentials, the procedure for calculating a Handicap Index is :
  • Average the lowest 8 of the most recent 20 Score Differentials (which include any adjustments for exceptional scores and/or a Committee review) and round to the nearest tenth.
  • Compute the difference between the average of the lowest 8 score differentials and the Low Handicap Index.
  • If the difference is greater than 3, the soft cap calculation is applied."
which to me implies that you use 6.2 in my case and not 6.175.

What you have quoted doesn't imply that the Handicap Index is rounded to a tenth; it states it.

wjemather

Visit site
  1. The soft cap. The soft cap is triggered when the difference between a player’s newly calculated Handicap Index and their Low Handicap Index is greater than 3.0 strokes.
    When a calculated Handicap Index increase is greater than 3.0 strokes, the value above 3.0 strokes is restricted to 50% of the increase.

Is that not explicit enough?
I'm not seeing where it explicitly states that the SC calculation is done before or after rounding of the new HI.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not seeing where it explicitly states that the SC calculation is done before or after rounding of the new HI.

You might consider that since he new handicap index is a one decimal place figure, it doesn't exist until after the rounding process in its calculation has taken place. In other words, the difference between two handicap indexes is the difference between two one decimal place figures and the result is a one decimal place figure - because that's what they are.

(I'm not actually sure that it matters anyway, but haven't the time at the minute to work out whether it does.)

Last edited:

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You might consider that since he new handicap index is a one decimal place figure, it doesn't exist until after the rounding process in its calculation has taken place. In other words, the difference between two handicap indexes is the difference between two one decimal place figures and the result is a one decimal place figure - because that's what they are.

(I'm not actually sure that it matters anyway, but haven't the time at the minute to work out whether it does.)
What would really be nice is if one of the reports on the EG Platform highlighted players who had reached the soft and or hard cap so you could explain what's going on.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
  1. The soft cap. The soft cap is triggered when the difference between a player’s newly calculated Handicap Index and their Low Handicap Index is greater than 3.0 strokes.
    When a calculated Handicap Index increase is greater than 3.0 strokes, the value above 3.0 strokes is restricted to 50% of the increase.

Is that not explicit enough?

Not really because it does not explain the methodology of application.

See
https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/soft-cap.108900/

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not really because it does not explain the methodology of application.

See
https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/soft-cap.108900/
It tells you to you find the difference between the new calculated Handicap and the Low Handicap index.
It tells you that 3 strokes over the LHI are counted in full and further strokes are reduced by 50%. In the full context of "soft" and "hard" caps we know that strokes more than 5 higher than the low handicap handicap index are discounted completely. In other words the soft cap (50%) applies to a differences between 3.1 and 5.0 and the hard cap to any further strokes from 5.1.

The method is simple. Find the difference between the Low Handicap Index and the newly calculated Handicap Index. The first 3 strokes of the difference are counted in full; the next strokes up to a total of 5 are counted at 50%; any strokes above 5 more than the low index are discounted.

The effect is that your handicap increase is limited to a maximum of 5 strokes in a 12 month period.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It tells you to you find the difference between the new calculated Handicap and the Low Handicap index.
It tells you that 3 strokes over the LHI are counted in full and further strokes are reduced by 50%. In the full context of "soft" and "hard" caps we know that strokes more than 5 higher than the low handicap handicap index are discounted completely. In other words the soft cap (50%) applies to a differences between 3.1 and 5.0 and the hard cap to any further strokes from 5.1.

The method is simple. Find the difference between the Low Handicap Index and the newly calculated Handicap Index. The first 3 strokes of the difference are counted in full; the next strokes up to a total of 5 are counted at 50%; any strokes above 5 more than the low index are discounted.

The effect is that your handicap increase is limited to a maximum of 5 strokes in a 12 month period.

If you read my first post on that thread it does not quite work in full strokes all decimal places have to be taken in to consideration. As said on that thread it works much like the old cuts in handicap which meant you dropped categories. When a score is posted it uses some of the difference in decimal places to take you to the 3 limit and the remainder of the decimal places are then halved.

This is the example I gave earlier in the thread

So say you were 5.4 and it should go to 6.1 as the best of 8, 0.1 takes you to 5.5 the remaining 0.6 is halved to 0.3 giving a H.I. of 5.8

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
So say you were 5.4 and it should go to 6.1 as the best of 8, 0.1 takes you to 5.5 the remaining 0.6 is halved to 0.3 giving a H.I. of 5.8

I'm afraid I just don't understand that. :unsure:

Take a player whose Low Handicap Index is 16.6.

He puts in a score which would raise his Handicap Index to 20.8.
Difference between calculated Handicap Index and Low Handicap index = 20.8 - 16.6 = 4.2
Calculation of capped increase:
First 3 strokes at 100%, leaving 1.2
1.2 at 50% = 0.6.
Capped increase = 3.0 + 0.6 = 3.6
New Handicap Index = 16.6 +3.6 = 20.2

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site

Take a player whose Low Handicap Index is 16.6 and whose Handicap Index is 17.1

He puts in a score which would raise his Handicap Index to 20.8.
Difference between calculated Handicap Index and Low Handicap index = 20.8 - 16.6 = 4.2
Calculation of capped increase:
First 3 strokes at 100%, leaving 1.2
1.2 at 50% = 0.6.
Capped increase = 3.0 + 0.6 = 3.6
New Handicap Index = 17.1+3.6 = 20.7
Surely his index will be 3.6 higher than his low Index, not the index he started round with

So, new index is 20.2

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

In the thread I started about soft cap I was using my own Handicap Index

I just happen to have a Low Index bang on 8.0.
When I played my last round I was 10.7
After the round in the best 8 a score of 9 was replaced by a score of 13
13-9= 4 4/8 =0.5 and
I expected my handicap Index to go to 11.2 (10.7+0.5)
It in fact went to 11.1

So in my working it out it is an increase of 0.5
0.3 of that 0.5 takes me to my soft cap of 11
0.2 of that 0.5 is halved = 0.1
so 0.1 + 11 = 11.1

Swango1980

Visit site
Question. Four ball better ball not acceptable for handicap. Fair enough, as players may pick up on a hole if their score will not count for the team.

However, if a player is playing in an Open four ball better ball, and say they will finish out every hole regardless, can they request their score be Acceptable for handicap?

wjemather

Visit site
Question. Four ball better ball not acceptable for handicap. Fair enough, as players may pick up on a hole if their score will not count for the team.

However, if a player is playing in an Open four ball better ball, and say they will finish out every hole regardless, can they request their score be Acceptable for handicap?
I would say no.

Firstly, I expect that the committee in charge of the open would prefer that no unnecessary strokes are taken in order to keep play moving at a reasonable pace (as reasonable as it can be for a 4BBB open, anyway) - many have guidance in place to this effect. Secondly, they are principally playing 4BBB which is not an acceptable format - there are several factors that differentiate it from individual stroke play, including not finishing out, advice, etc.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
To the bet of my knowledge none of the CONGU unions have made a ruling although Ireland are planning trials.

I can't really see why not if all the constraints re casual rounds are followed. Not holing out is not an issue for handicapping purposes but 3.3 is not clear on this.

Swango1980

Visit site
To the bet of my knowledge none of the CONGU unions have made a ruling although Ireland are planning trials.

I can't really see why not if all the constraints re casual rounds are followed. Not holing out is not an issue for handicapping purposes but 3.3 is not clear on this.
When I referred to not holing out, I was referring to the player, for example, picking up before making a par or bogey putt because he couldn't improve on team score.

D-S

Visit site
I assume the player did not request advice during the round, however by refusing to do so he was not giving his team the best possible chance in the 4BB.

badgergm

Visit site

But when does the HI calculation end? Before or after the application of the Soft Cap?

It does make a difference.

To repeat my case:

Low HI = 2.5
HI = 5.6 (would have been 5.7 without soft cap, 5.725 before rounding)

* poor round of golf occurs*

New HI before and rounding or soft cap = 6.175 (differential of 4.7 replaced by a 8.3, difference = 0.45, i.e. 5.725 + 0.45 = 6.175)
New HI rounded to 1DP before soft cap = 6.2
New HI after soft cap (as calculated by me)= 5.5 + (6.2-2.5-3)/2 =5.5+0.35 = 5.85 = 5.9

But new HI stated as 5.8.

I can only get that by 5.5 + (6.175 - 2.5 - 3)/2 =5.5+0.3375 = 5.8375 = 5.8

i.e. only rounding after soft cap. Which is different to the stated rule.

Perfectly willing to accept I'm missing something.....