World Handicap System

wjemather

Visit site
Yeah. I first check Club V1 for General Play scores entered through howdidido. I then separately go to the WHS Platform to check unsubmitted scores through MyEG. To clarify, I assume the easiest way to do this is:

Reports - Unsatisfied Score Intents

However, this then asks for the club, which by default is my own club. May have been asked elsewhere, but what if my club members did not return scores at AWAY courses? How do I find this without knowing they were going to play at that course? Perhaps this is what Old Skier is getting at?
Rounds registered through MyEG at away courses do appear in your USI report (until a score has been entered and attested). The club column shows where they are intending to play, but not the course/set of tees.

wjemather

Visit site
It may do, but that will require the Owner administrative rights, so will check when at club. Mind you, in this particular case, all that would have done is have the guy pre-register, and then just wait a few hours and enter his score. I guess anyone could do that now, but if you allow people to enter their score immediately after pre-registering, it will at least highlight a few people who have acted incorrectly.

Technically, I'd really need the club to send me all their booked tee times, so I can actually see what time players were scheduled to play. But that would be a big effort, so I want to maintain some trust that members will generally act within the guidelines.
There doesn't seem to be anywhere in ClubV1 to specify a delay between sign-in and score entry/submission through HDID. You can set a delay between sign-in and score entry via the PSI though.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
MyEG requires a marker to be identified and post round requires the marker to confirm the scores. Does that apply to the IG, V1, Golf Genius and other apps?

wjemather

Visit site
MyEG requires a marker to be identified and post round requires the marker to confirm the scores. Does that apply to the IG, V1, Golf Genius and other apps?
Last time I checked, marker is an optional field in HDID (ClubV1), and even when selected it is for information purposes only with no attestation being performed. As such, it remains reliant on a separate form of physical/verbal verification, or blind faith.

As far as I know the IG app has a scorecard image upload feature, which puts it slightly ahead of HDID, but nothing to match MyEG's functionality.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why do we have the notion of a par for the course? If a scratch golfer is excited to go around in the course rating number, surely the par is wrong? I've never really thought about these things before whs came along!

Then why are you thinking about them now?:LOL:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
There doesn't seem to be anywhere in ClubV1 to specify a delay between sign-in and score entry/submission through HDID. You can set a delay between sign-in and score entry via the PSI though.

I wonder if this automatically applies to scores registered using the App as well as via PSI?

I had a look at HandicapMaster and the facility to delay score entry lives under the general settings for "Configure Player Entry"...which covers the PSI terminal and as weve seen through testing...also seems to apply to the Masterscoreboard App.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Likewise, I'm not yet convinced that a general play round registered using the ISV app (Masterscoreboard in our case) is known about by the DotGolf WHS system until a score is entered by the player.

I've had a play and can confirm that a General Play round where you register your intent using the Masterscoreboard App the intent IS logged on the DotGolf system (without a score being entered)...so M'scoreboard feeds into H'master (as expected) which updates the Dotgolf WHS system but in the opposite direction, intents registered on the MyEG app do not get notified to H'master until a score is submitted.

Seems like something that should be easy to resolve.....would be njice if all systems talked to each other in both directions.

bunkerblaster

Visit site
I've had a play and can confirm that a General Play round where you register your intent using the Masterscoreboard App the intent IS logged on the DotGolf system (without a score being entered)...so M'scoreboard feeds into H'master (as expected) which updates the Dotgolf WHS system but in the opposite direction, intents registered on the MyEG app do not get notified to H'master until a score is submitted.

Seems like something that should be easy to resolve.....would be njice if all systems talked to each other in both directions.

Hi, For info, if you are interested in raising your points and think there is something which Handicapmaster can fix. Your contact at Handicapmaster is Stephen Jack. stephen@handicapmaster.org

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
We are in regular contact with the folks at Handicapmaster.... They are really responsive, fix what they can fix quickly and, from conversations we have with them, spend the rest of the time despairing at some of the things the WHS systems force them into doing.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
We are in regular contact with the folks at Handicapmaster.... They are really responsive, fix what they can fix quickly and, from conversations we have with them, spend the rest of the time despairing at some of the things the WHS systems force them into doing.

That's absurd! It's a commercial organisation making its profits out of designing software. They have to design it according to the demands of whatever system it is to run and aren't "forced" into anything.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We don't use HM but I know Nick Perkins and from the activity on their forum they seem to have the best customer support.

Swango1980

Visit site
That's absurd! It's a commercial organisation making its profits out of designing software. They have to design it according to the demands of whatever system it is to run and aren't "forced" into anything.
Commercial organisations can still despair over specific design requirements though. And, as a company they will be "forced" into these requirements by the governing body, unless a reasonable option for them is to simply disagree and shut down their business?

Whether their concerns are warranted are another matter. But given the issues we all experienced at transition and beyond, I would be surprised if there are quite a few frustrated software engineers at ISV companies.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site

Perhaps "forced into" wasn't the correct phrase to use.....but I am well aware of the frustration that was communicated during conversations with the folks at HM at the poorly defined interfaces that described the interworking of the ISV software and the WHS platform, that meant temporary solutions, short notice workarounds had to be implemented in the early days to even get to an operational level.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Is the tail wagging the dog here? If they want the business, they need to comply with the standards/requirements, not try to set them.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Colin
The 'demands' were often incomplete, contradictory, short on detail and ever-changing. Even after transition there were changes. Although some elements of the ISVs' systems may be below par, overall I think they have managed to do a pretty good job. Interfacing between multiple systems is an IT designer's nightmare

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Colin
The 'demands' were often incomplete, contradictory, short on detail and ever-changing. Even after transition there were changes. Although some elements of the ISVs' systems may be below par, overall I think they have managed to do a pretty good job. Interfacing between multiple systems is an IT designer's nightmare

I wouldn't argue about that. Designers of many kinds have to cope with whatever clients can come up with but I wasn't understanding "forced" to mean that.

tobybarker

Visit site
Given that you can play bang on your handicap and yet your HCP still then changes overnight is what is throwing most people I speak to (as their good or bad numbers drop into 21st position)