World Handicap System

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok but I thought the idea of the system was to maximise the number of cards so the best 8 from 20 had lots of data? We would generally have a couple of medals a month and maybe one stableford so not many opportunities via that route to submit a card.
Your right, the more cards the better. The weather in the SW has been fine a I have been chucking in a card a week since getting back.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok but I thought the idea of the system was to maximise the number of cards so the best 8 from 20 had lots of data? We would generally have a couple of medals a month and maybe one stableford so not many opportunities via that route to submit a card.

There is no limit to the number or frequency of general play scores you can put in.

Swango1980

Visit site
Anyone decrying something on the basis that they don't understand it is saying something about themselves rather than the something.

I understand the WHS and so it's an excellent handicapping system.
Nuclear physics, on the other hand, is rubbish.
Not sure about that. I hear a lot of people complaining they don't understand VAR and the football handball rules. I think that says more about the governing bodies than it does about the people complaining :)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So if I'm playing a casual round and have signed up for it to be a qualifier (which I understand is the "desire" of Congu) but the weather turns horrific so I call it a day...then what? If the card is 9, 10, or 17 holes complete it's not satisfactory so what is the outcome of that? An NR? Previously that would be the case and + 0.1 but what about now?

For me if the forecast is for rotten weather to possibly come in before I finish then I just won't sign in for a qualifying card.

Your second sentence is correct

Somewhere there is a guide to say that a player when considering to put in what would now be a general play card they should take all factors in to consideration to ensure that they will complete the round including the weather. (This may not be in the current Handicap Rule book but is a good guideline)

We have this written in to our guide for players considering putting in a card.

Re your first sentence the card is simply just not acceptable for Handicap purposes so the committee should not accept it and not even put it on your scoring record.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Personally I would say f you are putting in 20 acceptable scores a year then you are putting in an above average number. It then comes down to your own feelings about the decision if you want to do more.

There was a great clamour pre the start for all players to try to to get a record of 20 scores asap as this is the number considered to be a full handicap record and all aspects of the WHS kick in eg best of 8, soft and hard caps, low index.

D

Deleted member 15344

Anyone decrying something on the basis that they don't understand it is saying something about themselves rather than the something.

I understand the WHS and so it's an excellent handicapping system.
Nuclear physics, on the other hand, is rubbish.

Which proves my point - the golf rules fans love it where as right now the average club golfer doesnt

Just have to read the threads about “handicap suspension” etc and how “rules” fans want to treat golf fans who play the game for enjoyment and when they are struggling or it’s pouring with rain don’t want “continue the best they can” with threats of penalties etc

Some people either prefer the rules over the sport or they need to understand your local club medal isn’t The Open and we aren’t playing for the Fed Ex Cup at the end of the day.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Which proves my point - the golf rules fans love it where as right now the average club golfer doesnt

Just have to read the threads about “handicap suspension” etc and how “rules” fans want to treat golf fans who play the game for enjoyment and when they are struggling or it’s pouring with rain don’t want “continue the best they can” with threats of penalties etc

Some people either prefer the rules over the sport or they need to understand your local club medal isn’t The Open and we aren’t playing for the Fed Ex Cup at the end of the day.
Do you think that serial NRers who walk in when they are 'struggling' (ie have a bad score) are not protecting their handicap?

D

Deleted member 15344

Do you think that serial NRers who walk in when they are 'struggling' (ie have a bad score) are not protecting their handicap?

Never met or come across a “serial NRer”

I have come across people who just don’t want to be on a golf course when it’s hammering down or when they are having a real bad round so NR and walk in - I have no issue with that at all because it’s a game we play for enjoyment not for a job.

You can look for ways to punish people for doing that if you wish but it’s the first step in putting people off from playing the comps in the first - maybe try and look through the eyes of a golfer as well as a “rules fan” - that way you get a better perspective on the make up of a club golfer

Thankfully the HC and Comp committee at our club we are all golfers first and foremost.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Never met or come across a “serial NRer”

I have come across people who just don’t want to be on a golf course when it’s hammering down or when they are having a real bad round so NR and walk in - I have no issue with that at all because it’s a game we play for enjoyment not for a job.

You can look for ways to punish people for doing that if you wish but it’s the first step in putting people off from playing the comps in the first - maybe try and look through the eyes of a golfer as well as a “rules fan” - that way you get a better perspective on the make up of a club golfer

Thankfully the HC and Comp committee at our club we are all golfers first and foremost.
I think that most if not all 'sanction fans' here are aiming at serial NRers.
But have you ever been a handicap sec? If you've never encountered any you are very fortunate.

D

Deleted member 15344

I think that most if not all 'sanction fans' here are aiming at serial NRers.
But have you ever been a handicap sec? If you've never encountered any you are very fortunate.
For years. And no never come across a “Serial NR”

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have a ridiculous amount of serial NRs in our Ladies Section. One year a boarded comp was changed to a Stableford from Medal and there was an outcry because the scores are written on a huge whiteboard and they felt it easier to NR in a medal!

I still think it's wrong that a card not acceptable for handicapping purposes (see other thread about walking in if the weather gets horrid) is simply not processed as what's to stop players just not submitting it if they're score is poor?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Players who 'serial NRd' were the reason we brought in our disciplinary procedure in the first place. Despite being spoken to about on many occasion several just carried on in the same way.

Like Amanda apparently a big problem in the Ladies section.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have a ridiculous amount of serial NRs in our Ladies Section. One year a boarded comp was changed to a Stableford from Medal and there was an outcry because the scores are written on a huge whiteboard and they felt it easier to NR in a medal!

I still think it's wrong that a card not acceptable for handicapping purposes (see other thread about walking in if the weather gets horrid) is simply not processed as what's to stop players just not submitting it if they're score is poor?

There's nothing to stop it happening. The Committee action being talked about is to stop it happening again.

D

Deleted member 15344

I wonder..... could it be that that you have never recognized it? The odds are that it has happened.

Or we don’t have serial NRers - run reports regularly on the level of NR’s - most we saw in one year was 3 from one person

But if someone just wants to give up then when they are playing badly then I won’t ever have an issue with it