World Handicap System

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played with 3 guys today, 2 ex Captain’s, one on County Committee. Threw the balls up and they were adamant that the Course Handicap was the playing handicap for a 4ball Matchplay. Tried to explain including The EG print out for allowances. In the end you guessed it, we played from our Course handicaps!!!

They are most probably the same guys who insisted people played off 3/4 HC 10 odd years ago.

Swango1980

Visit site
Played with 3 guys today, 2 ex Captain’s, one on County Committee. Threw the balls up and they were adamant that the Course Handicap was the playing handicap for a 4ball Matchplay. Tried to explain including The EG print out for allowances. In the end you guessed it, we played from our Course handicaps!!!
That's embarrassing. Perhaps some people with a colourful CV start believing their own hype, and firmly believe they know better.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another WHS question...we signed in for 18 holes yesterday and at the 9th the heaven's opened and hail, wind and rain added to the cold!

I think from my reading that we could have played the 10th and then called it a day if conditions were still awful? Having played 10 we could call it a day at any point between then and the 18th? I'm a bit puzzled by this though:

Q: What happens if I do not complete my round? A: If you are playing a nine-hole round – then all 9 holes must be played for the score to be included in your record. If playing an 18-hole round you must complete at least 10 holes for the score to be returned. Any holes not played will be allocated a net par or net par plus one, before the score is processed.

What dictates whether it's a net par or net par plus one for any holes not played?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another WHS question...we signed in for 18 holes yesterday and at the 9th the heaven's opened and hail, wind and rain added to the cold!

I think from my reading that we could have played the 10th and then called it a day if conditions were still awful? Having played 10 we could call it a day at any point between then and the 18th? I'm a bit puzzled by this though:

Q: What happens if I do not complete my round? A: If you are playing a nine-hole round – then all 9 holes must be played for the score to be included in your record. If playing an 18-hole round you must complete at least 10 holes for the score to be returned. Any holes not played will be allocated a net par or net par plus one, before the score is processed.

What dictates whether it's a net par or net par plus one for any holes not played?
Are you sure it’s 10, without looking I thought it was 14.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
As sure as I can be from the resource on England Golf :)
2.2 Minimum Number of Holes Played for Score to be Acceptable
2.2a For an 18-hole Score
For an 18-hole score to be acceptable for handicap purposes, a minimum of 10 holes must be played.
2.2b For a 9-hole Score
For a 9-hole score to be acceptable for handicap purposes, all 9 holes must be played. If a player has not played at least 9 holes, the score is not acceptable for handicap purposes.
A hole is considered to have been played if it has been started.
Note:
An acceptable 9-hole score must be played over 9-holes with a current Course Rating and Slope Rating (see Rule 2.1).

3.2 Where the minimum number of holes has been completed and the reason for a player not playing a hole is valid, the player must use the following to
produce an 18-hole score:

At least 10 holes
Scale up to 18-hole score - Add net par plus one additional stroke for the first hole not played (or equivalent Stableford points).

At least 14 holes
Scale up to 18-hole score - Add net par (or equivalent Stableford points).

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
So, if the first nine holes of a scheduled 18 hole round were completed, the 9 hole score can be (or must be?) posted as a 9 hole score?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
So, if the first nine holes of a scheduled 18 hole round were completed, the 9 hole score can be (or must be?) posted as a 9 hole score?
I reckon it means that if a 9 hole score was the 'objective', 9 holes must be played.
If 18 holes was the 'objective', 10 or 14 holes must be played.

The 'objective' being a competition or a pre-declared general play round.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
So the player would enter the scores for holes not played? Feels like cheating :)

Do I read it that if 10 holes played then 11 hole is nett par plus 1 and the rest nett par?

That all feels a bit cheaty! I guess the actual card would show how many actual holes were played...

wjemather

Visit site
So the player would enter the scores for holes not played? Feels like cheating :)

Do I read it that if 10 holes played then 11 hole is nett par plus 1 and the rest nett par?

That all feels a bit cheaty! I guess the actual card would show how many actual holes were played...
Not played holes (and started but not completed holes) are entered using a special code and the system does the rest.

However, there must be a valid reason for not completing the declared round; bad weather is not considered a valid reason, so any such abandoned round score would not be acceptable for handicapping.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From ruefans post (and the rules).

3.2 Where the minimum number of holes has been completed and the reason for a player not playing a hole is valid, the player must use the following to
produce an 18-hole score:

I would agree with wjemathers comments about the weather not being a valid reason unless the course itself became unplayable due to flooding of the greens.

D

Deleted member 15344

As each day goes by and another bizarre ruling reveals itself it just shows what a complete cluster the whole thing is

What’s even more amusing is it’s called the “World Handicap System” - yet every country is doing it differently . It’s a complete joke - maybe the rules fans love the overinflated complexity of it all but it’s going to put off the important people- the club golfers

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It certainly seems that, despite all the "efforts" of the governing bodies, there is still a huge number of golfers who either haven't heard about it, can't grasp it, don't want to grasp it or can't see the point of grasping it.
Was it like this the last time handicapping changed..?

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
It certainly seems that, despite all the "efforts" of the governing bodies, there is still a huge number of golfers who either haven't heard about it, can't grasp it, don't want to grasp it or can't see the point of grasping it.
I know what you mean Imurg, but I think we knew any change was going to be met with a "I haven't got a clue what's going on" sort of mentality, just ask a simple question of Flags In, Out or Attend and look what happens, and when you put O-Level maths into it, then carnage. I play with a guy who has been playing for 30 years and still doesn't know how to work out how many stableford points he gets for a score on a hole.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

Don’t want to grasp it reading posts on here seems to be the main problem. Those wringing their hands would be the same ones who would have been decrying the system when it went to SSS/CSS. It’s what it is and from someone who failed maths and English find it pretty simple.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As each day goes by and another bizarre ruling reveals itself it just shows what a complete cluster the whole thing is

What’s even more amusing is it’s called the “World Handicap System” - yet every country is doing it differently . It’s a complete joke - maybe the rules fans love the overinflated complexity of it all but it’s going to put off the important people- the club golfers

The main point though it is not overly complex for the average golfer. All they have to do is get one handicap right (for which there are various systems available to check it) go out and play and put their score in - exactly the same as pre WHS.

It is made to seem much more complex by forums like this.

Just in April we have had around 12 competitions and they have all gone very smoothly. Maybe it is because we have got the basics right in our guidance where I play and enough players have taken it on board to advise those that have not.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
So if I'm playing a casual round and have signed up for it to be a qualifier (which I understand is the "desire" of Congu) but the weather turns horrific so I call it a day...then what? If the card is 9, 10, or 17 holes complete it's not satisfactory so what is the outcome of that? An NR? Previously that would be the case and + 0.1 but what about now?

For me if the forecast is for rotten weather to possibly come in before I finish then I just won't sign in for a qualifying card.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
So if I'm playing a casual round and have signed up for it to be a qualifier (which I understand is the "desire" of Congu) but the weather turns horrific so I call it a day...then what? If the card is 9, 10, or 17 holes complete it's not satisfactory so what is the outcome of that? An NR? Previously that would be the case and + 0.1 but what about now?

For me if the forecast is for rotten weather to possibly come in before I finish then I just won't sign in for a qualifying card.
EG/CONGU dropped their original idea of "all cards counting" over a year ago after resistance from county and clubs.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
EG/CONGU dropped their original idea of "all cards counting" over a year ago after resistance from county and clubs.

Ok but I thought the idea of the system was to maximise the number of cards so the best 8 from 20 had lots of data? We would generally have a couple of medals a month and maybe one stableford so not many opportunities via that route to submit a card.