World Handicap System

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't know what all the fuss is about. Here is the note I have included on the draws for Club and Seniors Pairs knockouts. I only hope that I have got it right:

"4-ball better ball using the difference in 90% of Course Handicap (at time of playing) from lowest handicap of the 4 players."

The actual wording from the manual

In general, after handicap allowances have been applied in match play formats, the
player with the lowest Playing Handicap plays off zero strokes relative to the other
player(s). The other player(s) receive(s) the difference between their own Playing
Handicap and that of the player with the lowest Playing Handicap.

I think your simple note could be misinterpreted.

I gave them a step by step guide where I play so there could be no errror other than the players own, and posted it in the middle of the draw chart.

Swango1980

Visit site
I beg to differ.

It says take 90% of Course Handicap i.e. Playing Handicap for that format and use the difference from the lowest handicap. I accept wjemather's suggestion I might have emphasised full difference.
"4-ball better ball using the difference in 90% of Course Handicap (at time of playing) from lowest handicap of the 4 players".

I just felt that a player reading that could read it either way (i.e. the old way or the new way of doing it). They could mistakenly get the difference between the Course handicaps (as this is the only handicap stated), then take the 90% difference. Not saying that is what you intend to say, just that it will not necessarily be interpreted as you wish.

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site

In general, after handicap allowances have been applied in match play formats, the
player with the lowest Playing Handicap plays off zero strokes relative to the other
player(s). The other player(s) receive(s) the difference between their own Playing

I gave them a step by step guide where I play so there could be no errror other than the players own, and posted it in the middle of the draw chart.

Isn't it 85% under WHS for 4BBB or have I miss understood this thread?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

Unfortunately, the document showing the draw did not have enough space in the accompanying notes for the full wording.

D

Deleted member 15344

Isn’t it great how they have made a simple system and turned it into an even more simple system ?

Or is that the people that made the system are simple and have made it overly complicated- it’s great that the manual is only what 170 pages worth ?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Isn’t it great how they have made a simple system and turned it into an even more simple system ?

Or is that the people that made the system are simple and have made it overly complicated- it’s great that the manual is only what 170 pages worth ?
Come on it’s only one book of 121 and another one of 48 see only 169, where’s the problem :cry:

D

Deleted member 3432

Its designed to make golf easier to understand, get with the programme....;):ROFLMAO:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think you should stop discussing this on the tee, there is a very good mass produced board that can sit next to the slope chart that shows exactly the mandatory requirements for all recognised comps.
We had to work out the shots given/received after we chucked the balls up for pairs. I will suggest that we pin to the notice board by the 1st tee the laminated sheet the golf manager has on the wall behind him in his office that gives the allowances and how to calculate shots given/received.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We had to work out the shots given/received after we chucked the balls up for pairs. I will suggest that we pin to the notice board by the 1st tee the laminated sheet the golf manager has on the wall behind him in his office that gives the allowances and how to calculate shots given/received.
Sorry Hugh but do not understand why you have to wait until after the balls are thrown up. Players will know their course Handicap. Deduct 10 % before arriving at the tee. The others should be OK because you have explained it every time you have played. They will have their playing handicap worked out BEFORE partners are drawn. Simple or have I missed something?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Full handicap in stroke play, 3/4 in match play.
Happy days.
I'm glad I don't play club golf any more

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have a 36 hole Comp. over 2 days soon.

On the 2nd day will we play off our updated HI or is it the same HI for both days?

Thanks

Rule 7.2a

For ease of competition administration purposes, the Committee in charge of a
multi-round competition played during the same or consecutive days must
determine within the Terms of the Competition whether a player’s Handicap Index
will remain unchanged for the duration of the competition. It is strongly
recommended that the Handicap Index remains unchanged between such rounds.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rule 7.2a

For ease of competition administration purposes, the Committee in charge of a
multi-round competition played during the same or consecutive days must
determine within the Terms of the Competition whether a player’s Handicap Index
will remain unchanged for the duration of the competition. It is strongly
recommended that the Handicap Index remains unchanged between such rounds.
I assume this is an option within the ISV software when setting up the competition.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Sorry Hugh but do not understand why you have to wait until after the balls are thrown up. Players will know their course Handicap. Deduct 10 % before arriving at the tee. The others should be OK because you have explained it every time you have played. They will have their playing handicap worked out BEFORE partners are drawn. Simple or have I missed something?
No you havent missed anything and yes - you’d have thought so...but they hadn’t. Apart from anything else they did not consider PH as coming into it. That was the nub of the contention. They were adamant we had to difference CHs off the lowest CH then factor the individual differences by 90%.

However thanks to all here I am now 100% confident of my ground and will insist. In fact I have printed off the clubs guide to allowances for the most common formats - it’s on our website - and will tuck that into my bag. Sorted. ?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

I think you're touching on a useful improvement in this way of doing it. If everyone arrives at the tee already knowing what 90% of their course handicap is, you're just left with a simple subtraction sum. (Getting to being able to replace that "if" with "since" may take some time.)

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played with 3 guys today, 2 ex Captain’s, one on County Committee. Threw the balls up and they were adamant that the Course Handicap was the playing handicap for a 4ball Matchplay. Tried to explain including The EG print out for allowances. In the end you guessed it, we played from our Course handicaps!!!