World Handicap System (WHS)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Old sss were 73 and 72.

Hardest hole is usually 13th, followed by 5th and 7th.

Easiest holes are usually 14th and 17th.
Are these figures from the actual stats from your system?
Try sorting them into the nines and totting up the two totals.

Without seeing the rating forms,I can't explain it. It does seem unusual.
It might be worth asking the County about it

D

Deleted member 3432

Are these figures from the actual stats from your system?
Try sorting them into the nines and totting up the two totals.

Without seeing the rating forms,I can't explain it. It does seem unusual.
It might be worth asking the County about it

Just had a look on our system, based on 9470 rounds off white tees, front 9 average score (par 35, 3024 yds) 44.77 back 9 average score (par 37, 3384 yds) 45.95.
1435 rounds off blue tees front 9 average score (par 35, 3126yds) 42.35, back 9 average score (par 37, 3515 yds) 43.71. Note blue tee comps usually lower handicap medal or stableford comps only.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just had a look on our system, based on 9470 rounds off white tees,
front 9 average score (par 35, 3024 yds) 44.77
back 9 average score (par 37, 3384 yds) 45.95.
1435 rounds off blue tees
front 9 average score (par 35, 3126yds) 42.35,
back 9 average score (par 37, 3515 yds) 43.71. Note blue tee comps usually lower handicap medal or stableford comps only.

"Front 9 is by far the harder 9 on about 360 days of the year."

D

Deleted member 3432

"Front 9 is by far the harder 9 on about 360 days of the year."

Slope front 9 is 129 which suggests for bogey golfer it should be 'easier' than the back 9 which is slope 137 white and 142 blue yet play plays more over par?

I know playing an 18 holer it doesn't really meant a lot but declaring to play 9 holes its a no brainer, you would be bonkers to play the front 9 in normal conditions which is a shame because the front 9 is superb.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have always been dubious about the impact of the wind assessment (1 to 5) on the overall course rating.

However, I accept this has been tried and tested for many years in different geographies so I guess I must accept it's just different and like many things going forward will just be the new normal and not worth worrying about.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rulefan,
where sufficient scoring statistics are available from the club are they looked at when rating a course ?
Thanks
No. But I am not aware of any statistics produced which differentiate between scores for players of various handicaps (in particular scratch and bogey).

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Could you expand please, I am genuinely interested.
A brief extract from the rateing guide.
A yardage adjustment for wind should be made based on average daily wind speed at times when golf is played. Wind increases the effect of other obstacles.

There is quite a lot more including a wind speed adjustment table which only of value to a trained rater when actually rating the course.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No. But I am not aware of any statistics produced which differentiate between scores for players of various handicaps (in particular scratch and bogey).

Thanks, I expect such data for scratch and bogey players could be extracted from playing records with a little effort from the software provider. Would provide an interesting comparison with the outcome of the rating and maybe help identify 'unusual' courses.

Anyhow plenty else to be getting on with ! :)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think so was around 2010 . I know I got a shot back ,?? when it was applied
If they were using it the change would have been as a result of either a standard periodic review or a request by the club. The raters would not have used scoring figures directly.
The system requires rating reviews periodically, if a course has been altered or on request by a club. According to the circumstances, this might be a full inspection or just the hole(s) affected. If there has been a significant change to the rating procedure which could affect certain courses, this may prompt a review. eg the way trees are considered was subtly changed about a year or so ago but was not considered significant enough to have any noticeable effect.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just bumping this topic because I have a question.

Out of idle curiosity I tried to find out my course's slope rating as I figured they must have done that by now, and they have: https://ncrdb.usga.org/courseTeeInfo.aspx?CourseID=20373

So off the whites the slope rating is 131. I've read that 113 is the neutral/middle number. So does 131 mean the course is deemed harder than average? Does that mean my index will be lower than what my current handicap is? I'm guessing it's that way round since off yellows it's 122. That seems like quite a difference as well, how will that affect my handicap cap index playing off either tee?

Swango1980

Visit site
Just bumping this topic because I have a question.

Out of idle curiosity I tried to find out my course's slope rating as I figured they must have done that by now, and they have: https://ncrdb.usga.org/courseTeeInfo.aspx?CourseID=20373

So off the whites the slope rating is 131. I've read that 113 is the neutral/middle number. So does 131 mean the course is deemed harder than average? Does that mean my index will be lower than what my current handicap is? I'm guessing it's that way round since off yellows it's 122. That seems like quite a difference as well, how will that affect my handicap cap index playing off either tee?
Course Handicap = index x Slope/113. From my calcs, it seems most people will have an Index a bit lower than current handicap, although will of course depend on their last 20 scores so will he some variations. Most slopes for courses I have looked at are over 113, in fact I think virtually all of them were in north Lincolnshire, so probably same all over. Generally range from 120ish to 150ish

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Course Handicap = index x Slope/113. From my calcs, it seems most people will have an Index a bit lower than current handicap, although will of course depend on their last 20 scores so will he some variations. Most slopes for courses I have looked at are over 113, in fact I think virtually all of them were in north Lincolnshire, so probably same all over. Generally range from 120ish to 150ish
I've been searching a few of the local course that we've played on. Two of them were 110 and 112 off yellows. None of them were below 113 off the whites though. My course Haste Hill off whites was the second highest slope rating of the bunch at 131. So for the majority of the other local courses I'm going to be playing off a couple of shots less than I would at my home course it seems like?

I'm trying to sort of backwards engineer this - given that my 15.9 handicap is based on a 131 slope course now, could I reasonably expect my new handicap index to be as low as 14 I guess? Unless my 'average of 8 best rounds' is somehow much higher than 15.9.