World Handicap System (WHS)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
You may find that 'throwing a card in' may be rather different to declaring the round to be for handicap purposes beforehand. ;)

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I'm reliably informed this is still going ahead on time, as proposed, no delays due to the pandemic.

After all, why does it need delaying if all courses have been rated for it?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looking forward to seeing the ratings for the courses myself. I like this sort of thing. And boy oh boy is there gonna be some arguments on here about how certain course's have been rated.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looking forward to seeing the ratings for the courses myself. I like this sort of thing. And boy oh boy is there gonna be some arguments on here about how certain course's have been rated.

Why would there be any argument? It's not a competition and the course ratings are probably as objective as it's possible to be. As far as I know, the vast majority of courses have already been rated with only a few left to be done and they will be given a provisional rating based on the data already available for them.

D

Deleted member 25172

You may find that 'throwing a card in' may be rather different to declaring the round to be for handicap purposes beforehand. ;)

Is it the UK or Sweden who’s going their own way in regards to registering rounds for handicap purposes? In Sweden you don’t have to declare prior to a round that it’ll be a round for handicap.

Cake

Club Champion
Visit site
Just looking around Berkshire, 20 have full ratings, 12 have Red Tees Only (but one is a ladies club and another is a school - Eton) and 2 have no ratings at all. So looks like a fair bit of work still to do here.

Yeah, my course is in Berkshire and does not have values on the site (beyond the reds anyway)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is it the UK or Sweden who’s going their own way in regards to registering rounds for handicap purposes? In Sweden you don’t have to declare prior to a round that it’ll be a round for handicap.
It depends on the local handicapping authority. But I am surprised because Sweden is in the EGA. I would be very surprised if Sweden has not adopted the WHS rules

The EGA (pre WHS) handicap system said re Extra Day Scores:

3.8.5 The player must register his name on the EDS entry list before starting the round.
His entry must include details of which course and tees will be played and such other details as are required by his national association.
3.8.6 The player must record the same details as mentioned in Clause 3.8.5 on his score card and he must return the score card signed by the marker and himself.
3.8.7 If the player, after registration on the EDS entry list, does not return his score card, a NR will be recorded for handicap purposes.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Virtually nothing for my area of Scotland on that list. Not sure if that means there is still a lot of rating to be done round here or not.

to get to that view have you entered the name of every club and checked them one at a time.

The link requires you to enter a country and club name

Have you got another link which lists all the clubs in one country.

D

Deleted member 25172

It depends on the local handicapping authority. But I am surprised because Sweden is in the EGA. I would be very surprised if Sweden has not adopted the WHS rules

The EGA (pre WHS) handicap system said re Extra Day Scores:

3.8.5 The player must register his name on the EDS entry list before starting the round.
His entry must include details of which course and tees will be played and such other details as are required by his national association.
3.8.6 The player must record the same details as mentioned in Clause 3.8.5 on his score card and he must return the score card signed by the marker and himself.
3.8.7 If the player, after registration on the EDS entry list, does not return his score card, a NR will be recorded for handicap purposes.

Strange. I’m taking it directly from the Swedish golf associations site where it says:

No pre-registration is needed.
You do not need to advise or pre-register a round for handicap purposes. As long as you play within the rules of golf you can simply register your round on “your golf” once finished.

“Your golf” is, I believe, the National golf identity account.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
to get to that view have you entered the name of every club and checked them one at a time.

The link requires you to enter a country and club name

Have you got another link which lists all the clubs in one country.

Have tried about 25 clubs individually, got 1 hit.

YandaB

Visit site
Have tried about 25 clubs individually, got 1 hit.
Is that a hit in finding a club or the club having been rated? If the former then Select the country, I chose England, then for the state there was a list that included Berks, Bucks and Oxon. Clicking submit gave me all the clubs

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is that a hit in finding a club or the club having been rated? If the former then Select the country, I chose England, then for the state there was a list that included Berks, Bucks and Oxon. Clicking submit gave me all the clubs

Just hits - there seems to be hardly any Scottish clubs listed at all. For example, there is only 1 for North Lanarkshire, 1 for West Lothian and only 2 for East Lothian. There are quite a few more clubs/courses than that in those areas.

D

Deleted member 3432

Can't work this out at all. Had a look at my own club's slope which is 136 off the Blue tees and 134 off White.

Front 9 is 129 off both Blue and White. Back 9 is 142 Blue and 137 White.

Front 9 is by far the harder 9 on about 360 days of the year.

System is either very flawed or whoever rated the course doesn't play golf :unsure:

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Can't work this out at all. Had a look at my own club's slope which is 136 off the Blue tees and 134 off White.

Front 9 is 129 off both Blue and White. Back 9 is 142 Blue and 137 White.

Front 9 is by far the harder 9 on about 360 days of the year.

System is either very flawed or whoever rated the course doesn't play golf :unsure:

It also seems to think Askernish is in East Lothian :unsure: