Woohoo! Best Round ever - 67 !!

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had to share this one, guys. It may never happen again. :eek:

Played my first round in 3 weeks yesterday with a couple of mates at a local municipal course (Craigentinny) and shot a level par round of 67 out of the blue. Short course, 5200 yards, no par 5's.. but hey. It was my 99th course too. I'd never played it before.

4 birdies, 11 pars, 2 bogies and a double bogey. 27 putts! Not like me at all. Been averaging 36.5 this year.

Nearly got a hole in one at the 235 yard par 3, 13th, too. Five wood stopped two rolls short for a tap in birdie. Crumbs
:D

Was level par standing on the 17th tee, getting a wee bit nervous. I've had five rounds of 1 over before but never a level par round and never below 71 so this meant something.

Par 3. Hit a nice 7 iron into the green, putted up close.....and rimmed the hole for a bogey :( Thought I'd blown my chance.

On the 18th tee (short par 4) I mentioned to my pals that I needed a birdie for my best round...and hit my best drive of the day to within 80 yards of the green. My wedge went to about 15 feet, uphill putt with a bit of right to left.

Savoured the moment.

"I may never say this again...but this is for a 67, guys."

Drained the putt. Woohoo!

Still sobering up after a bit of a major celebration last night. Still can't believe the number of decent putts I made.

CraigentinnyBestScoreCard.jpg

.....Playing in a league match this Sunday. What's the bets on a catastrophe? :D

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well done, Sounds like you had fun, long may the good form continue!Good luck in the league match!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Awesome scoring. My best is a 75 (par 72). Have levelled both 9s, but not in the same round.

Time to think positive thoughts about the league match tho', or it will become a self fulfilling prophecy. I know this feeling after a hot round, because anything around the 70 mark will still feel rubbish, even if it is still a really good round.

wilf_74

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well Played, Live for the moment! My best round is 80, normally hit around mid 80's so having lessons trying to get under that this year!

Coming back from a double bogey is good work, no head drop. :)

Keep up the good work

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Brilliant stuff John. I can only imagine the excitement I will get if I ever break 80, but to shoot par - I think my head would explode!

Really happy for you.

6 one-putts to save par = scrambling par excellence!
10 one-putts in total = pro class.

Many genuine congratulations for a 9hc player shooting par - there's hope for us all yet!

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
SS2,

the greens were great yesterday (not gonna say otherwise with 27 putts, am I? ) :D Not fast but in good nick and very true. Loads of greenkeepers milling around.

Was saying to my playing partners that we're pretty blessed with the council courses in Edinburgh (Braids etc). Should be. The council tax is sky high!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Brilliant....I bet after 5 you were thinking..."oh, another normal day at the office"!?
Impressive putting stats, from the man who's been struggling!

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Absolutely, Dave. 3 chips for that double bogey! Here we go again.

Steadied the ship, though, with good chip and putts on the next 3 holes, then a good birdie on 10, raked in a 20 yard par putt on the 11th (to half the hole.....you should have seen the looks I got) and then another 2 great birdies.

If I'd have got that hole in one I'd still be in the pub! I'll forego that one, though, shall I? :D :D :D

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well done John

Have to agree with you on the condition of the Edinburgh council courses.

Do not go back to play in the summer though. I played Carrick Knowe last year and the greens were so slow (but true as you say). I putted into a bunker twice on the same hole in a medal round at my course the next day :eek:

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
Thats a fantastic score mate! You need to treasure these moments. I'd have that card framed and mounted before you could say 'Open Regional Qualifying' :)

I frame all my landmarks, I'm not a pro player or a low handicapper (yet haha)so when something special happens I want to remember it. I still have my card from my first ever level par 9 holes, my first under par 9, my lowest ever round (65 on a par 62) and any balls or cards that have a special memory attached. Still no hole in one trphy to display, and just the one Winners trophy but I'm working on that.

What does everyone else have to show us - Come on - Personal record low rounds, impressive score cards or maybe sentimental bits - upload your best and give us the story!

GREAT card by the way again mate!