Woods v mickleson

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Money maker and I'd definitely watch it. Didn't they used to have a series of these matches back in the 90s? Wonderful World of Golf or something?

D

Deleted member 15344

Two 'has beens' playing for an obscene amount of money?
No thanks

Spot on

It would have been a good watch when they were both at their peaks about a decade ago - now it will just be like those Shell golf things

If they were doing the match for the money to go to charity then its something to be applauded - but two of the richest sportsmen in the world playing for more millions - its as bad as that Mayweather/Macgregor circus act

We see the players enough - not sure whats the point of a rich head to head.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Would love to see this game, Two of the games greats going head to head what more could you ask for...

Top drawer TV

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would make for great veiwing.

10 million or 10 quid. Matters not a jot for me.

The two best and most entertaining golfers of maybe the last 20 years.

Good to read that they are wingmen now also.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why not...?

Has beens or not, Is there another current pair that would attract more attention?
Or another current pair that have provided more entertainment, lit up the golfing world and attracted more people to the game than TW and PM.

Everyone bangs on about “Growing the game” etc. I can’t see this doing any harm..

D

Deleted member 15344

Why not...?

Has beens or not, Is there another current pair that would attract more attention?
Or another current pair that have provided more entertainment, lit up the golfing world and attracted more people to the game than TW and PM.

Everyone bangs on about “Growing the game” etc. I can’t see this doing any harm..

Whilst no doubt Golf Fans of the pair will watch it and enjoy and the hype especially over the pond will be in over drive

But how would even have any dent on "Growing The Game" ?

It will no doubt first be broadcast on Sky so you have just golf viewers watching it , i dont think its going to be that big a news to the sporting world especially when the focus is no longer on them , it already has an elitism image and yet giving £10mil to one of two guys will do nothing but enhance that image, kids these days look at a Rory or a Dj or Spieth - guys that are current and at the top.

If someone has £10mil and really wants to grow the game - put it into junior golf development - something that has a chance of an impact , as opposed to a big pay day for two already very rich guys

It seems a bit like that £10 mil Stanford cricket challenge thing which created nothing but negative publicity even before he was sent down.

A match like this i suspect isnt going to help grow the game but maybe the opposite

D

Deleted member 1147

I’d watch it, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the winnings end up going to charity

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site

A match like this i suspect isnt going to help grow the game but maybe the opposite

As I said “I can’t see it doing any harm” Via the Media attention etc.. it’s just something different, that’s all. I don’t expect the club racks in AG to empty overnight.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
i for one will watch it,as they are two of the best ever. as for calling them has beens ,i would rather be a has been than a never was like those that choose to use the term has been.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Might as well roll out Nichlaus 'v' Watson, or Hagen 'v' Hogan.

Two golfers who no longer hit it well enough to win. No thanks. 10 years ago I'd have watched it, but I'd rather watch Dustin Johnson 'v' Justin Rose.

D

Deleted member 18588

Last day of a Major or even a regular tour event with Tiger and Phil in contention would still be absolutely compelling.

But some made for TV special?

No thanks really not interested.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Last day of a Major or even a regular tour event with Tiger and Phil in contention would still be absolutely compelling.

But some made for TV special?

No thanks really not interested.

Precisely.
And as for the $10m - so what, they're both already worth into or near the billions

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don’t get the negativity with things like this. If you don’t like don’t watch it.

Some will like it with me being one. Two all time greats having a round with them being on the mic. They may not be as good as they once were but still are both competing and have watched them for 20 years.