Laura Davis to play in a Senior Event

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Putting stats are not saying much without taking the GIR into consideration as well. You expect the number of putts to be higher when the number of greens in reg is higher. The LPGA stats have a Putts per GIR entry, but the PGA ones do not (they break it down to length of putt, mostly), so no direct comparison possible there, unfortunately.

And Annika Sörenstam played her PGA event in 2003. That's 15 years ago. A lot has changed in the women's game since then.

D

Deleted member 18588

Putting stats are not saying much without taking the GIR into consideration as well. You expect the number of putts to be higher when the number of greens in reg is higher. The LPGA stats have a Putts per GIR entry, but the PGA ones do not (they break it down to length of putt, mostly), so no direct comparison possible there, unfortunately.

And Annika Sörenstam played her PGA event in 2003. That's 15 years ago. A lot has changed in the women's game since then.

You have quoted recent stats and the men's game has also changed over the same period .

In the cases of both Sorenstam and Wie they played events where length wasn't considered to be a major factor.

D

Deleted member 15344

I don’t recall what Sorenstam said but i know Wie struggled with the approaches into the green and missing too many greens putting pressure on her short game , going into the greens with longer irons didn’t help .But Wie still had some good scores and did make one cut I believe but she also had injury issues.

Looking at articles , Sorenstam in the event she played was number one in Accuracy but way down on the driving distance and again having to approach greens with longer irons and hybrids.

D

Deleted member 15344

I would like to see women who have the ability given the opportunity to play in mens competitions.

They could have two handicaps. The women's one they currently have and also a 'full course handicap'.

Currently at our club the women wouldn't want to play in mixed comps. Rarely does any of them break 100. We had one good young women but she has fallen away from the game. There was no competition for her at the club. She would walk the gross score with a bad day at the office.

People don’t need to have two Handicaps - the easiest way is having all the tees rated for either sex and then you can set up any Comp using any tee and the rating will adjust the results. It’s how we do it now with the men off Whites and ladies of Reds - for medal the ladies get three extra shots for results only and they get one for Stableford- it seems to work out well

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Obviously at other clubs there are strong female players and good competition.

Maybe they could drop their red tee/female handicap and move into the full course handicap should they reach a level of ability and fancy teeing it up along side the men.

Adding a pile more shots to those who already get a bucket load of shots is not what I am in favour of.

D

Deleted member 15344

Obviously at other clubs there are strong female players and good competition.

Maybe they could drop their red tee/female handicap and move into the full course handicap should they reach a level of ability and fancy teeing it up along side the men.

Adding a pile more shots to those who already get a bucket load of shots is not what I am in favour of.

You may not be in favour of it but it’s a balance that actually works and allows both Male and female to play the same course - the extra shots are only given if there is any difference between the standard Scratch for Medal and Par for Stableford

When they re rate the tees for all then it will be balanced

We have ladies playing off 4 who play in our comps and it works out well with the shot balance.

If both the ladies and men’s card are the same par and standard scratch then there will be no extra shots.

It’s only natural that men do hit the ball further so the same course will play a bit harder for them if they go off the same tee so their handicap will be adjusted as required.

Not sure what this “full course handicap” and red course handicap business is - we all just have one handicap

D

Deleted member 15344

i am calling it that because that is where the current handicaps are measured from.

Handicaps are taken from measured tees regardless of the colour and it can be from more than one tee dependant on if the tee is measured for a standard scratch for that sex. Plenty courses have handicaps from all the tees.

user2010

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Can one of the Mods at least change the spelling in the thread title to her proper surname please, DAVIES.:thup:
It is so frustrating to see avid golfers who can't spell the surname of one of England's greatest female golfers.
#Embarrassing:eek:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Am I right in thinking that most senior events aren't played off the really back pegs and so distance wise are usually shorter than a normal tour event. If so, then I think with her distance off the tee Davies can compete. I like the idea of seeing her playing against the men but only as a one off. It doesn't solve the problem of the ailing womens ET and it cannot be good for the depth of the game. Not all young ladies coming through can go to the US via the collegiate system and the tour use to be a good stepping stone. It needs a big change, and more media coverage, more sponsorship and an almost total reinvention. As for Davies, her putting has so often been her biggest problem and it she can have a good week on the greens why shouldn't she compete well?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I saw Laura play in Düsseldorf two years ago and she is a force of nature. If anyone can tee it up with the guys, it is her. I am really curious to see how she will get on.
me to , I caddied for a young girl a couple of years ago and Laura was in her group.
I have never seen anyone inc very low cappers and some pros hit the ball like her she was awesome.
She had the ball under control all day and what a nice girl as well.
Its a one off I can’t see it catching on as I could name a couple of senior women but only a couple.

on the gender free comps when both sexes play the same tees it will be equal!
Cant see a problem as the h/cap system should even things out after a while.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sorry but the stats you provide for putting seem to indicate that length off the tee is nowhere near the full story.

On average the men are, over four rounds, taking five fewer strokes.

Think about the difference in result between, say, -7 and -2.

Ask Annika what the difference was like. She is better qualified to comment than you or I.

Plus, and I might be wrong, but I doubt the course set ups (not just length) are the same for the top mens events compared to the ladies

Not to devalue how good the ladies obviously are but I'm not convinced the stats truly compare apples with apples

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
LiverpoolPhil will be along shortly to tell you that women can compete with men, and he knows everything, so there.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good luck to her I say. I think she has more than earnt the right to do this, after a career on the European ladies tour, Solheim cups and generally good things she has done for ladies golf.
I hope she does really well, and others are allowed to follow her footsteps.

D

Deleted member 15344

The reply’s are pretty much what I expected - some would be happy with ladies playing in the same Comp and some believe they shouldn’t - that’s prob the feeling around the country

The ones that don’t want to play with Ladies prob enjoy their Male only sanctuary where they don’t have to worry with their p and q’s and also not have to look around just in case someone has a pair of binoculars to stare at their little jimmy but I’m afraid it’s going to happen - clubs will move towards comps where anyone can enter and the ET will embrace it and I expect to see some mixed events in the next couple of years

But don’t worry the people that don’t want to play with smelly ladies can avoid them as i doubt you will be forced to have the awful time of playin in the same 3/4 ball as them.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The reply’s are pretty much what I expected - some would be happy with ladies playing in the same Comp and some believe they shouldn’t - that’s prob the feeling around the country

The ones that don’t want to play with Ladies prob enjoy their Male only sanctuary where they don’t have to worry with their p and q’s and also not have to look around just in case someone has a pair of binoculars to stare at their little jimmy but I’m afraid it’s going to happen - clubs will move towards comps where anyone can enter and the ET will embrace it and I expect to see some mixed events in the next couple of years

But don’t worry the people that don’t want to play with smelly ladies can avoid them as i doubt you will be forced to have the awful time of playin in the same 3/4 ball as them.

from my experience its ladies that don't want to play with men.
ladies at my club can play when they like even on Sat mornings, but a men can't play Tues/ Thurs 8-10.30 4-6. in fact the ladies at my club want a buffer of an hour after there times so men won't be behind them. lots of clubs are the same at least up here.