Laura Davis to play in a Senior Event

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's disappointing that there was no publicity about this. Had it not been for this thread I would not have heard about it at all and there has been nothing about how she did apart from here either.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Following on from Laura Davies we now have Brittany Lincicome playing on a sponsors exemption in the PGA Tour event Barbasol Championship in July. It runs at the same time as the Open Championship so it will be interesting to see how much publicity it generates.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not a bad result for Laura. How much longer was the course compared to a standard layout on the LET? It proves she can still be competitive and given she's struggled with the putter in the last few years I would think she'll be pretty happy. Given the poor first round it was a good comeback

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
How much longer was the course compared to a standard layout on the LET?

According to the official scorecards 6590 yards, not that much in it, maybe 300 yards longer than the average of the LET courses I looked up, but it is hard to say, because tee positions do vary daily and especially in the ladies tournaments they tend to shorten the course on the Sunday (especially the par 5s) to encourage a more aggressive play and more eagle opportunities. So I don't know if just comparing the course length given in the course description on the tournament site really gives the full picture here.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
According to the official scorecards 6590 yards, not that much in it, maybe 300 yards longer than the average of the LET courses I looked up, but it is hard to say, because tee positions do vary daily and especially in the ladies tournaments they tend to shorten the course on the Sunday (especially the par 5s) to encourage a more aggressive play and more eagle opportunities. So I don't know if just comparing the course length given in the course description on the tournament site really gives the full picture here.

Thanks for that. Assuming, for the sake of argument the course is about the same length, and given her 2018 form which isn't great http://www.lauradaviesgolf.com/page_3150130.html then you have to say it is a creditable performance. I wonder if Lincicome will fare as well on a PGA event which probably be off a longer course and even though the Open is on, I'd say a stronger field

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Why do women want to play in mens comps ?

On a personal level: becasue they want to see if they can keep up, I suppose. It's a challenge. On a wider, more public level it brings attention to female players and some media exposure to women's golf, something which ladies' professional golf desperately needs.