Laura Davis to play in a Senior Event

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

DCB

Visit site
Playing the same sport together and competing together are two totally different things, I'm all for mixed competitions, as long as they are competitive but until such times as women can hit the ball as far as the men I doubt that'll happen.

Bobby Riggs once said something very similar 😉

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Laura Davies is one of the great characters of modern golf and I'd far sooner pay money to watch her play than many of the faceless players on today's Men's Tours.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Quoting you Cabby as just the latest post rather than directing it at you but I just don't get this and it doesn't seem a great reflection on your club either. Fully understand people may have a preference but not being happy to play with someone you haven't met just because of gender seems odd, particularly as they could be a better golfer.

On handicap competitions there is no reason why women couldn't be in the top 50, or if you are suggesting that only top 50 should play of scratch then I'd expect a lot of the male members shouldn't be entering.

Carry on playing socially with mates, but a club competition is to be played with whoever you're drawn against if that's the rules. Padrig and Sergio still had to play together during their feud.

As for the event themselves, the sponsors clearly feel that Laura adds value which I'd suggest the news stories confirm. Good luck to her, and given equal tees and no handicap I can't see why anybody would complain.

Final point, isn't gender neutral effectively a term for open to all. I think part of that is in one of the golf tournaments...

nae idea what you're on about but playing with women restricts men to certain things on the course, for one, language, two, toilet breaks, things that would have to change if playing with women, so if you don't mind, I quite enjoy talking about what I want to talk about and not have to consider who's company I'm in when playing my golf or have to concern myself about taking a leak when out playing.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
nae idea what you're on about but playing with women restricts men to certain things on the course, for one, language, two, toilet breaks, things that would have to change if playing with women, so if you don't mind, I quite enjoy talking about what I want to talk about and not have to consider who's company I'm in when playing my golf or have to concern myself about taking a leak when out playing.

Have you considered medical help? You really should be able to go 4 hours without a pee.

Mouses bladder?

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site

Do you get your todger out in the middle of the fairway?

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site

So, you're unable to hold a conversation without swearing, and you're also incapable of controlling your bladder.

Let me guess.... you not only have tourettes, but you're also incontinent?

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site

Sorry but disagree as a few women I've played with are more than capable of turning the air blue should their game take a wee tumble and as regards answering the call of nature, no problems , even on links course still manage to go without any embarrassment on both sides .

There are around 6 Ladies who play regularly on Sat/Sun mornings with out any issues and I'd like our club to go to Gender free comps too

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
So, you're unable to hold a conversation without swearing, and you're also incapable of controlling your bladder.

Let me guess.... you not only have tourettes, but you're also incontinent?

Indeed

Sorry but disagree as a few women I've played with are more than capable of turning the air blue should their game take a wee tumble and as regards answering the call of nature, no problems , even on links course still manage to go without any embarrassment on both sides .

There are around 6 Ladies who play regularly on Sat/Sun mornings with out any issues and I'd like our club to go to Gender free comps too

Not sure what you're disagreeing with, I am well aware women can turn the air blue.

BornSlippy1994

Medal Winner
Visit site
Some of the comments on this thread highlight exactly why golf has the reputation it has, and people wonder why participation levels aren't particularly high.

I've never actually heard of Laura Davis before, but I've got no issue with her competing against men, nor would I have any issue with women playing in 'gender free' competitions at my club.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Some of the comments on this thread highlight exactly why golf has the reputation it has, and people wonder why participation levels aren't particularly high.

For someone who has never heard of Laura Davies I'm very interested to know what I guess, from a relative newcomer to the game, what reputation does golf have ?

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I saw Laura play in Düsseldorf two years ago and she is a force of nature. If anyone can tee it up with the guys, it is her. I am really curious to see how she will get on.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Perhaps a more up to date analogy on the tennis front is the williams sisters versus Karsten Braasch ??

Yup. The Bobby Riggs example doesn't work because he was hamstrung by rules for his match. Braasch had no such restrictions.

Laura Davies is also going toe to toe so it is true gender equality. The fact we are talking about it suggests the move has already been successful. I'm sure there will be press coverage for the event which would not have bothered otherwise.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yup. The Bobby Riggs example doesn't work because he was hamstrung by rules for his match. Braasch had no such restrictions.

Laura Davies is also going toe to toe so it is true gender equality. The fact we are talking about it suggests the move has already been successful. I'm sure there will be press coverage for the event which would not have bothered otherwise.

True enough, the tennis comparison doesn't really work too well, as in tennis you have to directly deal with the opponents speed, power, endurance etc therefore it is most unlikely women will ever compete directly against men.

Whilst I personally don't want to watch mixed golf I can see that in some tournaments women could and will compete against men, whether they can truly compete will no doubt soon become evident.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
There is no reason why female golfers cannot compete with men, providing a suitable golf course is selected. One which puts accuracy ahead of power.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
True enough, the tennis comparison doesn't really work too well, as in tennis you have to directly deal with the opponents speed, power, endurance etc therefore it is most unlikely women will ever compete directly against men.

Whilst I personally don't want to watch mixed golf I can see that in some tournaments women could and will compete against men, whether they can truly compete will no doubt soon become evident.

Well, it is not as if this has never been done before. Annika Sörenstam played in a PGA tour event. So did Michelle Wie. As did Babe Didrikson Zaharias many decades earlier. They all did not make the cut. While there is no shame in that (about half the field does not make the cut each week and nobody would suggest that that means that those players aren't good enough to compete on that level), it did not encourage more women to try this. But I think it is safe to say that even among the absolute elite players, it is very rare to find a woman who can compete with male players of a similar level. So I don't think mixed competitions from the same tees will become a regular occurance. It just is not comparable. I rather think we will see mixed formats either in the form of mixed teams of one man and one woman (like a mixed double in tennis) or with slightly forward tees for the women (as it was done in the golf sixes event).