Tiger Woods Interview

D

Deleted member 1147

I'm actually starting to feel quite sorry for Tiger. IMO those who are advising him should just tell him to just get out there and play, not to worry about chopping it around, interact with the galleries more, and just have a bit of fun. I think he would have got a lot of kudos from the public if he'd played in the Safeway and just said he wasn't confident in his game, wasn't expecting to make the cut, but just wanted to be part of tournament golf again.

I agree, but one problem with doing that would be the Tiger bashers would just complain that he's taken the place of someone who needs the money or experience, it could generate, and might make the cut.
I feel he's now in a no win position on most subjects.
But personally I just want him to get out there and play tournament golf

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree, but one problem with doing that would be the Tiger bashers would just complain that he's taken the place of someone who needs the money or experience, it could generate, and might make the cut.
I feel he's now in a no win position on most subjects.
But personally I just want him to get out there and play tournament golf

Surely he's done enough for the game to be exempt into whatever events he wants? I'd imagine the tournament organisers have a handful of invites anyway which they would readily use if required. Which tournament organiser wouldn't if Tiger wanted to play?

U

User62651

With Ian Woosnam just announcing he's going to keep playing The Masters after saying he was done and Sandy Lyle still taking up a spot, I think Tiger will be ok from getting that accusation for a few years yet, plenty ahead of him in that regard!!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It made my day (it was a quiet day) hearing him say he thinks he'll win more majors.

We may both be deluded, but I dont see him saying that if he doesn't have signs that his game is back or close to being back in a competitive sense.

We've read the reports that he was striping it with full swings, it's just making a score that needs to come.

I agree that he will have lost the intimidation factor, but if I were leading a tournament with half a dozen holes left to go I'd take anyone outside the top 3 or 4 in the world being a shot behind me other than TW.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
It made my day (it was a quiet day) hearing him say he thinks he'll win more majors.

We may both be deluded, but I dont see him saying that if he doesn't have signs that his game is back or close to being back in a competitive sense.

We've read the reports that he was striping it with full swings, it's just making a score that needs to come.

I agree that he will have lost the intimidation factor, but if I were leading a tournament with half a dozen holes left to go I'd take anyone outside the top 3 or 4 in the world being a shot behind me other than TW.

You may be right Gaz but how will he know he can score without playing,does he expect when its working in his practice he can just turn up and be up there.

I believe although I could be wrong he has some chipping problems still I mean he was worse than a 28 handicapper at times.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I agree he has to play to know for sure, but if he's striping it and can't break 70 round his own course he isn't going to be competitive on the PGA tour.

If that's the case it tells me he's serious about competing at the highest level again.

I hope it is because the alternative is that his short game is as bad as before.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Not a Tiger basher here but when he was saying he said to his children "The reason why mummy and daddy arnt together is because daddy did a bad thing but its "ok" "
Really so he assumes the kids are going to grow up fine because of his actions because he said its "ok" :confused:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm actually starting to feel quite sorry for Tiger. IMO those who are advising him should just tell him to just get out there and play, not to worry about chopping it around, interact with the galleries more, and just have a bit of fun. I think he would have got a lot of kudos from the public if he'd played in the Safeway and just said he wasn't confident in his game, wasn't expecting to make the cut, but just wanted to be part of tournament golf again.

Words of wisdom and he would have got the public and the media onside and bought more time to play his way back to form. At the moment he's in denial, confused and scared.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
If I was Tiger the one thing I would of changed by now is my name.
Eldrick Tont Woods. Flippin ECK, his dad has a sense of humour. I would pay £20 to hear someone shout cmon Eldrick at one of his tournaments as he is about to drive. Bet he would be playing three off the tee.

That aside if we can be serious for a moment. mickleson is still doing it and he is four or five years older than Woods. So is Woods talking through delusion and hope, or how injury ravaged is his body, only him and a few close aides really know.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
That aside if we can be serious for a moment. mickleson is still doing it and he is four or five years older than Woods. So is Woods talking through delusion and hope, or how injury ravaged is his body, only him and a few close aides really know.
In a word burnout,Mickelson and other great players that have been on tour for ever paced themselves,Woods packed in too much over 10 or so years.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In a word burnout,Mickelson and other great players that have been on tour for ever paced themselves,Woods packed in too much over 10 or so years.

Looking at Philly Mick in recent years it looks like he's not obsessed with the gym like some players. Maybe that's helped his longevity and hindered Woods.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Looking at Philly Mick in recent years it looks like he's not obsessed with the gym like some players. Maybe that's helped his longevity and hindered Woods.
Woods was so pushed by sponsors etc at his height that it was inevitable he would burn out,he even actually looks older than what he is....

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site

Understand and agree the point, but who has the better career record? So was Tiger right to cram in? If he hadn't, perhaps he would not have been the golfer we remember?

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
I remember the golden bear saying majors were almost easier to win as most of field don't think they can win it any way, tiger if he gets in position will know he can win so why not get a few more

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Understand and agree the point, but who has the better career record? So was Tiger right to cram in? If he hadn't, perhaps he would not have been the golfer we remember?

Exactly. He may not have a career as long as Mickelson but he has certainly had a more successful one.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
At what cost to his body?
Woods sponsors etc threw massive amounts of money at him and the expectations of him were massive,the pressure simply burned him out.Back in the day guys like Nicklaus had long succesfull careers with Jack even winning the Masters at 46 but it wasnt so intense for golfs superstars back then.Cant really see Woods giving golfs current crop of top players any trouble but it would be great to see him in contention for a major going into the last round but I really cant see it happening and as for Mickelson its still no suprise to see him in major contention even at his age,just look at last years Open.

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Come on. It would be great if he could win another major.

Of course it would.
But if his game is "fragile" now, how is it going to stand up to the pressure of a Major...?
And when is it going to strong enough?
If he doesn't play standard tour events he won't get "match fit" and it won't matter how well he's striping it on the range...
Spending time on the chipping green, knocking balls close from the first cut is all well and good but when you need to get up and down to make the cut or even win - that's where the fragility is. And if he can't get over that then he won't win anything, let alone another Major and certainly not another 4 or 5...