Woods v mickleson

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Yeah I'd watch that, sounds like it would be a blast. Agree they should cough up the prize between themselves and invite the title sponsor to match it for a charity they each name with extras for NTP, longest drive etc

And if it happens this year it should be played to the Rules as they will be in Jan 2019 so that it also acts as a showcase for what the game will look like (inc the lost ball drop)

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yeah I'd watch that, sounds like it would be a blast. Agree they should cough up the prize between themselves and invite the title sponsor to match it for a charity they each name with extras for NTP, longest drive etc

And if it happens this year it should be played to the Rules as they will be in Jan 2019 so that it also acts as a showcase for what the game will look like (inc the lost ball drop)

Good call. Would watch!👍

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I won't be watching it but no problem with them doing it and I'm sure plenty will tune in.

I think it's a bit of an odd match, it's not like tennis, boxing etc which someone on here compared it to, because those events will end up with a world champion or a grand slam.

This is purely an exhibition game which is not necessarily a bad thing and bit like golf in the 19th century when the greats kept challenging each other to one off matches.

Had this been in 2005 then it would have been a massive event but because it's now and of course they are not has beens but they are definitely on the tail of their careers it does have a slight smell of milking some money.

It reminds me of the Legends rugby matches that they have during the 6 Nations where players who were playing 10 years ago come out for a game. You get to see some players who were truly world class and are legends of the game, you still get to see them dazzle with skill. But you also know the hits are softer, the pace is slower and everyone is taking it a bit easier.

Although Tiger and Phil are fantastic golfers their training won't be as tough as they it was 10 years ago, they won't be as sharp and they won't be taking it as seriously as a Masters or Open Championship.

Personally and I know I'm in a minority I would rather see some of the new generation play something like this, DJ v Speith or Rory v Rahm

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it would be a laugh to watch actually. I think I read that they would consider wearing mics as well so you can hear the banter between them. Would be entertaining IMO. Could be a wash out if one of them has an absolute shocking round though.

D

Deleted member 16999

Been confirmed it’s happening and will take place in November, only for $9mil though. :)

D

Deleted member 15344

It seems it’s going to be a PPV event - prices of $70-100 for the event

For me it’s about 10/15 years too late - it would have peaked the interest especially when they didn’t like each other but now just seems a job for the old boys and a money making machine for them and the sponsers

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
It seems it’s going to be a PPV event - prices of $70-100 for the event

For me it’s about 10/15 years too late - it would have peaked the interest especially when they didn’t like each other but now just seems a job for the old boys and a money making machine for them and the sponsers

I would be amazed if it is anything like this in terms of cost.

If so, they will have massively reduced potential audience figures. Much better to have a much lower price and then greater audience to sell advertising to.
Then if it goes well, it may be that there are more regular challenge matches that people would be interested in.

JT v Spieth
Dustin v Rory

There is definitely not enough match play Golf televised and I think there would be interest in this generally, if it was played at a decent pace.

Perhaps a series where they could have matches on the Tuesday or Wednesday of a tour event and keep a league table going throughout the season might be possible logistically. Probably it is not something that will happen as the marquee players already manage their schedule fairly efficiently and won't necessarily want to commit to additional competitive rounds when they could be doing more productive things, in terms of practice / family time / fitness / rest etc.

Possibly it's something that could replace or seriously change the WGC format, which has become pretty stale and not as interesting as it should be given the field and prize money on offer.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Part of the challenge is going to be how the fill the gaps. Watching one match over 4.5 hours is going to be pretty tedious with all of the time between shots. If they are talking with the players throughout then it could be interesting, if it is going to be a massive load of adverts or constant cutting back to a pundit then you can count me out.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Part of the challenge is going to be how the fill the gaps. Watching one match over 4.5 hours is going to be pretty tedious with all of the time between shots. If they are talking with the players throughout then it could be interesting, if it is going to be a massive load of adverts or constant cutting back to a pundit then you can count me out.

I read somewhere they are mic'd up so we can at least hear their conversation throughout

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What a thread !
A genuine question asked and in next to no time mayhem ensues.
Phill and others really pee me off at times, so quick to let their prejudices loose.
Watch it or not , we live in a Capitalist society and for me all golf is of Interest.
Money matches are as old as golf itself.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Haven't seen anything mentioned about actual cost, so assuming anything mentioned already is just hyped up guesswork?

Haven't seen anything mentioned about UK broadcaster either yet.

.... there will always be a stream of all else fails.