Woods v mickleson

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

I'm struggling to see the point of it.
Absolutely, it's a Wheelbarrow event but what is it going to prove?
And if it's just the two of them, assuming they'll be out there for 4 hours and both shoot around 70, you're looking at a shot, on average, every 90 seconds.....
3 1/2 hours of watching Phil and Tiger stroll around a course doesn't fill me with a great deal of enthusiasm but if they think they can get the audience then crack on.
I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it - and Phil's one of my favourite players.
Reading the report it says it was just about a done deal for last week!
They are willing to be mic’d up and “we’ll” grt a totally different view on it.
Currently no talk of any charity gaining from it, but I could imagine the winner making a donation, no point mentioning it now as it’s a fundraiser for them 2.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Shock news - Professional sports men and women perform for money - the better the profile the bigger their fee!!

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I think they deserve a bit more respect than being called 'has beens'. 'Golf Legends' would be more appropriate in my opinion.
I think it would be a good exhibition and I would watch it.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Might as well roll out Nichlaus 'v' Watson, or Hagen 'v' Hogan.

Two golfers who no longer hit it well enough to win. No thanks. 10 years ago I'd have watched it, but I'd rather watch Dustin Johnson 'v' Justin Rose.

Don’t hit it well enough to win? Phil has won this year and tiger is 3rd of so tee to green strokes gained since his return.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
It will appeal to some people no doubt - some will watch because they are Mickleson or Woods fans , some will watch it because they like to watch golf and others will not bother because it’s all too late and just smacks of milking a last pay day - it’s not going to peak the interest of new golfers because both are not really current right now and non golf fans wouldn’t care less

I very much doubt if it will actually happen because I think it will gain more negative press than expected

They have both had plenty of chances to have a match against each other over the past 20 years - right now it’s a bit like watching two football legend teams play each - a novelty

I expect it might feature on Sky Sports news but wider sports audience I expect won’t care

I agree with 95% of your posts Phil But your tiger views are ridiculous

Tiger is still by far and away the most important thing to golf. There can be no debate one that. If he went and played senior tour, viewing figures of that would be higher than normal PGA tour events

Ok I get that every single shot of his is shown but youve just got to look at tv viewing figures and gate entrances to see how much of a draw he is.

If this event goes ahead if will be watched by A LOT of people

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
:thup:

Suppose, ''Has Been's" is better than "Never Was" :whistle:

As I didn't turn pro till I was 40, I would consider myself 'was never going to be' as I turned pro to teach not play.

However, I admit 'has beens' may have been a bit harsh but when you add up the number of tournaments won by both of them combined in the last 5 years it comes to 1, I think you can see where I was coming from.

D

Deleted member 15344

I agree with 95% of your posts Phil But your tiger views are ridiculous

Tiger is still by far and away the most important thing to golf. There can be no debate one that. If he went and played senior tour, viewing figures of that would be higher than normal PGA tour events

Ok I get that every single shot of his is shown but youve just got to look at tv viewing figures and gate entrances to see how much of a draw he is.

If this event goes ahead if will be watched by A LOT of people
I know exactly why they show him all the time and why people switch on - there all also people that switch off

If Tiger is the most important thing to golf then Golf has a lot of problems - when Woods was injured and not playing people still watched golf , they still played golf - Golf didn’t fall apart without him. When Woods comes back people watch him - why don’t they watch golf normally if they are golf fans ? Maybe they actually don’t have any interest in golf without Woods - a sport can’t rely on fans like that because he will stop playing soon enough

And sorry we all know that the R&A don’t care about viewing figures as witnessed by the move to Sky for The Open

Golf can and will survive without Woods - the people that are golf fans will still watch the game and play the game. The sport needs to get past it being about one person because the people switching off at the moment may not come back when Woods does go. Thankfully i don’t expect him to last much longer because I don’t think his ego will handle him not winning

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As I didn't turn pro till I was 40, I would consider myself 'was never going to be' as I turned pro to teach not play.

However, I admit 'has beens' may have been a bit harsh but when you add up the number of tournaments won by both of them combined in the last 5 years it comes to 1, I think you can see where I was coming from.

Sorry Bob but no........

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I know exactly why they show him all the time and why people switch on - there all also people that switch off

If Tiger is the most important thing to golf then Golf has a lot of problems - when Woods was injured and not playing people still watched golf , they still played golf - Golf didn’t fall apart without him. When Woods comes back people watch him - why don’t they watch golf normally if they are golf fans ? Maybe they actually don’t have any interest in golf without Woods - a sport can’t rely on fans like that because he will stop playing soon enough

And sorry we all know that the R&A don’t care about viewing figures as witnessed by the move to Sky for The Open

Golf can and will survive without Woods - the people that are golf fans will still watch the game and play the game. The sport needs to get past it being about one person because the people switching off at the moment may not come back when Woods does go. Thankfully i don’t expect him to last much longer because I don’t think his ego will handle him not winning[/QUOTE

In The Tiger years golf was booming Fact.

Over the last few year number have dropped both viewing numbers and golf club playing members Fact

Why is ithat ?

Tiger is back and Both viewing figures and playing members will increase as they all want to watch The Great Tiger and play like The Great Tiger.

Phil do you have a hidden agenda when it comes to Tiger ?

D

Deleted member 15344

In The Tiger years golf was booming Fact.

Over the last few year number have dropped both viewing numbers and golf club playing members Fact

Why is ithat ?

Tiger is back and Both viewing figures and playing members will increase as they all want to watch The Great Tiger and play like The Great Tiger.

Phil do you have a hidden agenda when it comes to Tiger ?

Membership numbers dropping started around 07/08 when the recession hit - he was still playing when the membership numbers were dropping - people’s financial situation and the cost of playing was the biggest and main reason people stopped playing golf - not because of Tiger Woods

The increase in participation figures started last two years when Woods wasn’t playing

Golf in the UK went through it’s big boom in the 90’s when new courses popped up all over the place - before Woods started playing.

Woods brought money and sponsorship into the game because he was the big African American Sports star outside basketball and a marketing dream on top of him being outstanding - the pros play for big money now because of Woods.

I suspect there are just as many who took up the game because of the Ryder Cup or Faldo or Seve or Monty as there are because of Woods

And nope nothing hidden about Woods , was one of the best players to have graced the game but the domination of him on the telly pictures makes me want to switch off as I don’t believe his play should demand that now

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Membership numbers dropping started around 07/08 when the recession hit - he was still playing when the membership numbers were dropping - people’s financial situation and the cost of playing was the biggest and main reason people stopped playing golf - not because of Tiger Woods

The increase in participation figures started last two years when Woods wasn’t playing

Golf in the UK went through it’s big boom in the 90’s when new courses popped up all over the place - before Woods started playing.

Woods brought money and sponsorship into the game because he was the big African American Sports star outside basketball and a marketing dream on top of him being outstanding - the pros play for big money now because of Woods.

I suspect there are just as many who took up the game because of the Ryder Cup or Faldo or Seve or Monty as there are because of Woods

And nope nothing hidden about Woods , was one of the best players to have graced the game but the domination of him on the telly pictures makes me want to switch off as I don’t believe his play should demand that now

Numbers have dropped significantly over the last 2 years more than when the recession hit. Woods is Great for golf and will draw in crowds now he is playing again and the younger generation will take an interest because potentially the greatest player in the world has come back to the sport and they will want to see him play and possibly take up the sport.

D

Deleted member 15344

Numbers have dropped significantly over the last 2 years more than when the recession hit. Woods is Great for golf and will draw in crowds now he is playing again and the younger generation will take an interest because potentially the greatest player in the world has come back to the sport and they will want to see him play and possibly take up the sport.

Really ? Do you have anything to back that up ?

This shows the increase last year

http://www.carrgolf.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/3024.pdf

This shows the decline from 2007

https://www.statista.com/statistics/490247/golf-participation-uk/

This shows that last year more golf being played was on the rise

https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news...positive-uk-golf-participation-numbers-139856

Another one that shows the increase last year

https://golfsupport.com/blog/golf-participation-across-europe/

This one shows that due to the increase in recent years the level of golfers in Uk is around the same as in 1988

www.bgia.org.uk/industry-news/adult-uk-golf-participation-hovers-around-4000000

You see i have had to do a bit of studies in recent years to find ways to help attract members to golf clubs - that way you find out the truth

Last edited by a moderator:

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I can see why the $10 million dollars involved could put people off of the idea. To me it makes no difference at all, however with that $10million tag attached to the match it will be more exciting and will appeal to a wider audience therefore potentially growing the game.
To the golf lovers out there who would just be interested in seeing them tee it up against each other, or not as the case may be, the money probably wont be important. To others it is though, you could stick 2 random blokes on tv having a round of golf and nobody would watch it, stick a $10million price tag on it and advertise is well and a lot more people WILL watch it!

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Really ? Do you have anything to back that up ?

This shows the increase last year

http://www.carrgolf.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/3024.pdf

This shows the decline from 2007

https://www.statista.com/statistics/490247/golf-participation-uk/

This shows that last year more golf being played was on the rise

https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news...positive-uk-golf-participation-numbers-139856

Another one that shows the increase last year

https://golfsupport.com/blog/golf-participation-across-europe/

This one shows that due to the increase in recent years the level of golfers in Uk is around the same as in 1988

www.bgia.org.uk/industry-news/adult-uk-golf-participation-hovers-around-4000000

You see i have had to do a bit of studies in recent years to find ways to help attract members to golf clubs - that way you find out the truth

Google can be your friend when it suits and there is a whole lot more surveys out there that will contradict the ones you have shown.

Are you sure you don't have anything against a Tiger?

D

Deleted member 15344

Google can be your friend when it suits and there is a whole lot more surveys out there that will contradict the ones you have shown.

Are you sure you don't have anything against a Tiger?

Really - can you show me the surveys ? Do you have the links because it’s certainly something that will help and will be interesting to see how they can differ so vastly if ir backs up your opinion

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Really - can you show me the surveys ? Do you have the links because it’s certainly something that will help and will be interesting to see how they can differ so vastly if ir backs up your opinion

Why would it help ?

You only listen to yourself, take this thread for example !!

Now I haven't got time to do all the number crunching as I have steak on the BBQ but I would think that more people would be looking forward to the match than against it but you just keep posting your own spin and continue to trash people's opinions.

But it's a good way to get your posts up I suppose

D

Deleted member 15344

Why would it help ?

You only listen to yourself, take this thread for example !!

Now I haven't got time to do all the number crunching as I have steak on the BBQ but I would think that more people would be looking forward to the match than against it but you just keep posting your own spin and continue to trash people's opinions.

But it's a good way to get your posts up I suppose

Well it would help because I have show you facts that state exactly when Golf declined and the reasons why and shown you facts that show that Golf participation has risen and none of it is linked to when Woods stopped playing

But if you cant produce the facts to back up what you saying I guess I can conclude that your opinion appears to be way off the mark when it comes to Golf participation and Woods - if producing a lot of facts is “trashing an opinion” then i would expect someone with strong opinions like yourself would have the facts to back up statements like

Number have dropped significantly more over the last two years than during the recession

How can so many articles saying the same thing that Golf is on the rise contridict that statement and show it’s actually on the rise ?

But enjoy your steak Sam -:thup: nice weather for it