Woods v mickleson

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18588

Big cat, may be, but I think Phil gambled most of his away, alledgedly, apparently, rumoured to be, may be ( to appease the lawyers).

He may have been a big gambler, the same is true of Tiger, but I am more than certain that Phil remains an extremely wealthy man.

D

Deleted member 18588

I don’t get the negativity with things like this. If you don’t like don’t watch it.

Some will like it with me being one. Two all time greats having a round with them being on the mic. They may not be as good as they once were but still are both competing and have watched them for 20 years.

The OP asked for opinions on "interested or money maker".

Those of us who have said we wouldn't be interested are merely answering his question.

Nobody has said that it shouldn't go ahead, just that some of us will not be tuning in.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Some predictable answers and the anti-brigade to the fore. It's a money maker no doubt but has anyone actually come out and said they wouldn't be giving their $10m or a large proportion to charity? If not, then to suggest otherwise is purely conjecture. It'll still be an interested event to watch. As for growing the game, the publicity this will generate is going to be huge, and it'll get massive coverage across the press and social media, the latter of which is accessible to all these days. If you don''t want to watch, check out something else in the schedules but to suggest that because it's on Sky, which have, in my opinion, made as much golf available regularly, and so done the game a service. Again I would argue that in this day and age, a good percentage will have access to Sky already and I'm sure the event will be available to watch on a number of platforms for a cost, which again isn't going to be hugely prohibitive

D

Deleted member 18588

Some predictable answers and the anti-brigade to the fore. It's a money maker no doubt but has anyone actually come out and said they wouldn't be giving their $10m or a large proportion to charity? If not, then to suggest otherwise is purely conjecture. It'll still be an interested event to watch. As for growing the game, the publicity this will generate is going to be huge, and it'll get massive coverage across the press and social media, the latter of which is accessible to all these days. If you don''t want to watch, check out something else in the schedules but to suggest that because it's on Sky, which have, in my opinion, made as much golf available regularly, and so done the game a service. Again I would argue that in this day and age, a good percentage will have access to Sky already and I'm sure the event will be available to watch on a number of platforms for a cost, which again isn't going to be hugely prohibitive

Do you even bother to read other posts in your desperation to keep up your post count.

The anti-brigade as you refer to us have not suggested that the event should not take place.

We have simply answered the OP's question which would appear to have been posed to gauge opinions on this matter.

Nowhere was it stated that only one answer is correct.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Do you even bother to read other posts in your desperation to keep up your post count.

The anti-brigade as you refer to us have not suggested that the event should not take place.

We have simply answered the OP's question which would appear to have been posed to gauge opinions on this matter.

Nowhere was it stated that only one answer is correct.

Yes to the first point of the first sentence and for the umpteenth time I'll reiterate that post counts are of no relevance to me and a lot more people seemed concerned than I am. By "anti" I was simply referring to those that referred to it as a cynical money making exercise for both players and I never once in my post suggested the event shouldn't take place.

If you read MY post you'll see I suggested it would generate huge publicity and that in a world of social media it would give everyone a chance to engage and read/watch what was being said. I would suggest that it would (arguably more stateside I'd agree) maybe encourage a few more people to at least try the game, either at a local pay and play or a range. If they can then get hooked that has to help increase participation numbers. As it's a forum, I'm well aware that everyone has an opinion and I'll reiterate and clarify that there is no right or wrong answer. If you simply see this as cynical marketing don't watch it. That doesn't mean it's a right or wrong thing to do, just a decision everyone needs to make for themselves

D

Deleted member 18588

Yes to the first point of the first sentence and for the umpteenth time I'll reiterate that post counts are of no relevance to me and a lot more people seemed concerned than I am. By "anti" I was simply referring to those that referred to it as a cynical money making exercise for both players and I never once in my post suggested the event shouldn't take place.

If you read MY post you'll see I suggested it would generate huge publicity and that in a world of social media it would give everyone a chance to engage and read/watch what was being said. I would suggest that it would (arguably more stateside I'd agree) maybe encourage a few more people to at least try the game, either at a local pay and play or a range. If they can then get hooked that has to help increase participation numbers. As it's a forum, I'm well aware that everyone has an opinion and I'll reiterate and clarify that there is no right or wrong answer. If you simply see this as cynical marketing don't watch it. That doesn't mean it's a right or wrong thing to do, just a decision everyone needs to make for themselves

Fine, express your opinion but kindly refrain from unnecessarily dismissive comments aimed at those holding a contrary view.

And if you're not bothered by your post count why feel the need to comment on virtually every post.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Fine, express your opinion but kindly refrain from unnecessarily dismissive comments aimed at those holding a contrary view.

And if you're not bothered by your post count why feel the need to comment on virtually every post.

If you notice, (clearly not), I've not even been on for a number of days so hardly as though I've been sat on here posting away. My final word as your simply looking to argue the toss

D

Deleted member 15344

I don’t get the negativity with things like this. If you don’t like don’t watch it.

Some will like it with me being one. Two all time greats having a round with them being on the mic. They may not be as good as they once were but still are both competing and have watched them for 20 years.

It will appeal to some people no doubt - some will watch because they are Mickleson or Woods fans , some will watch it because they like to watch golf and others will not bother because it’s all too late and just smacks of milking a last pay day - it’s not going to peak the interest of new golfers because both are not really current right now and non golf fans wouldn’t care less

I very much doubt if it will actually happen because I think it will gain more negative press than expected

They have both had plenty of chances to have a match against each other over the past 20 years - right now it’s a bit like watching two football legend teams play each - a novelty

I expect it might feature on Sky Sports news but wider sports audience I expect won’t care

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Don't understand the negative views. If it's Ok for two boxers, wrestlers or tennis players why not golfers?

Good luck to them.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's blatantly a cash grab

It's not like there's anything to prove

Both all time greats but everyone knows who's been the greatest as proven by their records

Might watch some of it, might not

For all the good work Sky do covering sport, the over saturation is a big negative for me personally (yeah I know if you don't like it don't watch blah blah blah)

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s no surprise in the US but understand all golf tournaments including ones without Woods have seen an increase in viewers - wonder if the viewing figures will have changed in the UK

Strange though that there has been a small decrease in participation over there though

And look at the actual figures not a massive amount compared to other sports over there

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It’s no surprise in the US but understand all golf tournaments including ones without Woods have seen an increase in viewers - wonder if the viewing figures will have changed in the UK

Strange though that there has been a small decrease in participation over there though

And look at the actual figures not a massive amount compared to other sports over there

yet still you ask why we see so much of him on the tv coverage every week, facts are pretty clear why we do. as for us v uk, we take their feed, its what happens but i expect if you get the numbers theyll show the same thing despite what you may wish

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Worst they are past their best. They are still at a good level. Phil has won this year and woods has been performing well of late. I think it’ll be more competitive now as their levels are more similar than they were when both at their peaks.

As to whether they are still relevant. Woods is the biggest name in golf still. Not spieth, Rory, DJ or anyone else. The players themselves still acknowledge its different when he plays and youngsters Pick up on that atmosphere too.

As the saying goes, there’s No such thing as bad publicity.

D

Deleted member 15344

yet still you ask why we see so much of him on the tv coverage every week, facts are pretty clear why we do. as for us v uk, we take their feed, its what happens but i expect if you get the numbers theyll show the same thing despite what you may wish

It’s not exactly news that some people only watch golf when Woods is playing - when he isn’t there they go, not exactly great for the sport is it - doesn’t add anything to the sport unless you want to just watch one person, I expect as the months go by that will die down a little as each Comp he doesn’t win goes by those who only want to see Woods will disappear

I haven’t watched a US event for ages because I’m sick of it and I expect I’m not the only one but then as long as the numbers are up the sponsers are happy they will keep showing him so they won’t care about people who are more than just Woods fans

Shame golf in this country didn’t care about the viewing figures when it went to a platform that saw a drop in 75% of the viewing figures for its prime event

So I don’t think the viewing figures in the UK will be much different than there previous low numbers anyways

This event will no doubt be hyped to Hell in the US and it will draw the audience there - in the UK I doubt it will make much impact beyond the golf circles

D

Deleted member 18588

If you notice, (clearly not), I've not even been on for a number of days so hardly as though I've been sat on here posting away. My final word as your simply looking to argue the toss

Suppose I should be grateful for small mercies.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
Don’t hate the players hate the game ,golf has made the players what they Are today just that they were /still are very good at it .i think it would be a great match up but can’t see it ever happening to be honest .

D

Deleted member 16999

Any particular reasoning why people can’t see it happening? Just curious.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm struggling to see the point of it.
Absolutely, it's a Wheelbarrow event but what is it going to prove?
And if it's just the two of them, assuming they'll be out there for 4 hours and both shoot around 70, you're looking at a shot, on average, every 90 seconds.....
3 1/2 hours of watching Phil and Tiger stroll around a course doesn't fill me with a great deal of enthusiasm but if they think they can get the audience then crack on.
I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it - and Phil's one of my favourite players.