Womens tees.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
What's stopping ladies playing off yellow tees if they want more length?
Nothing other than getting them rated for ladies. The SSS/CR will be a couple or more strokes higher.

As it happens very few clubs are asking for the yellows to be rated for ladies (too long for the majority) but new green tees are gaining favour for ladies (and juniors).

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wish, we were amongst the first to be rated in Devon and the Yellow and White were only rated for men and the reds rated for women. Went against everything I was told would happen for the WHS. Was told it was all to do with time, more to do with the old and bold who did it me thinks.
The club would/should have been consulted about which tees should be rated for which gender. The rating team don't want to waste time rating tees that are unsuitable for the players and won't be used for competitions. eg red too short for men, yellow too long for ladies. Remember, they don't get paid for rating and it can add an hour to a 4/5 hour job.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Your post has given me another thought Clive. Men can play yellow, white and black tees, women have one. Don't seem much like equality to me.
Yes it’s not equality at my place .
But I know lots of the women and they don’t want to play a longer course.

White comps. anybody.
Yellow social. Anybody
Red comps/ social ladies.
Green winter all golfers.
Blue academy anybody.

So ladies can play five sets of tees but men four!!

I am sure some of the older guys would fancy the reds as there are some carries they can’t make.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's default for women to go off reds though. I don't know that I've ever seen a woman at a golf club, ie not a pro, play off anything other than the reds. I suspect most don't contemplate going off another tee, are they even aware it's an option?

As Tashy has commented, no skin off our noses and if they aren't complaining then I'm not going to make an issue of it. It just seems unbalanced.
Has only happened on GM meets where Karen Ferguson-Snedden (H/cap 2 or 3) has used the Yellows as the Reds are often just stuck on the end of the fairway & Yellows/Whites are the intended tees fore the course. Had H/cap adjusted by SSS but not as generous as likely to be with rated tees.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
The German rating system allows for orange tees as forward ladie's tees. One of the courses I play regularly has them. They are even used in competitions if your handicap is higher than 26.5. On some of the shorter holes, they are identical to the red ones, but on some of the longer holes, especially where you have to carry the ball over a hazard, they are about 20 yards shorter. My home course does not have orange tees, but it does have blue tees, which are longer for the ladies than the red tees, but can also be played by the men as forward tees. Club championships and regional ranking competitions for the ladies are usually played of those blue tees.

Having that extra variety, not requiring all women to play off the same tees (which will always be too long for beginners, seniors and shorter hitters and too short for the more athletic women who want a challenge) might be one of the many contributing factors why golf is much more popular with women in Germany than it is in the UK.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Rating System in Germany is the USGA Course Rating System now used all over the world.

If you mean the tee allocation or usage convention, the rating system only requires that for competition or other handicap scoring, that the tees are rated specifically for the gender of the players to be using them.

A club may allow or restrict use of particular tees for non competition use in any way they choose.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
At my course all three tees have been rated for men and ladies.
However, the ladies never want to play off the yellows or whites, and woe betide any man who dares use "their" red tees.
So having gone to the trouble of getting them all rated seems to have been a waste.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
However, the ladies never want to play off the yellows or whites, and woe betide any man who dares use "their" red tees.
So having gone to the trouble of getting them all rated seems to have been a waste.
That's one of the things that the club is supposed to sort out with the rating team leader before they do the wasted rating exercise. Will the double rated tees really be used?
But I hope your course has since applied for 9 hole ratings. It's only a paper exercise for England Golf. Due to the age profile the 9 hole hole ladies' comps are now as popular as 18 holes at my club.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de

This will take a few years. Also, most courses are already too long for the average female player as they are (off the red tees). There is a good article about it here: http://theaposition.com/larrygolfst.../are-women-getting-screwed-on-the-golf-course

The chance that you get a group of ladies playing together who are all long enough hitters to get pleasure out of playing off the longer tees is rather small. But for young talented female players it is a good and important option. And the ladies will get over the occasional senior player or beginner teeing it off from "their" teebox when it happens more regularly, I am sure.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We changed the col code for out tee's this year we are now, black, white, blue and green, plus there are now at least 8 new forward tee's also designated green.

you can play off what ever tee's you like as none a called mens or ladies, though i doubt there will be many if any women going off the black. Even when we had the curtis cup they only used the yellow into the wind and only a handful of white down wind at most

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
The Rating System in Germany is the USGA Course Rating System now used all over the world.

If you mean the tee allocation or usage convention, the rating system only requires that for competition or other handicap scoring, that the tees are rated specifically for the gender of the players to be using them.

A club may allow or restrict use of particular tees for non competition use in any way they choose.

Quite chuffed to read that post and Mr Cappellas, seems there is a system in place. It's just seems a lot of places don't use it for various reasons.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Many will have noticed that the ladies' red tees have an SSS 1 or two strokes higher than the men's yellow or even white tees. That means the course is relatively more difficult.

Just do the arithmetic on a typical 400 yard par 4.
According to the USGA rating, a male bogey hits 200 off the tee and 170 off the fairway. Only 30 yards short.
A female bogey hits 150 and 130. They are still 120 yards short.

We hosted the England women's open a few years ago. When they did a review of the course I asked which tees they would use. They said the yellow course was too long and the red too short for an international and chose to use a mixture of the ladies' reds and the men's yellows, plus one white.
They also suggested that the red course was possibly too long for club ladies. 5820 SSS 74. It has since been reduced to 5750 CR 74 and a green course introduced 5400 CR 72

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Many will have noticed that the ladies' red tees have an SSS 1 or two strokes higher than the men's yellow or even white tees. That means the course is relatively more difficult.

Just do the arithmetic on a typical 400 yard par 4.
According to the USGA rating, a male bogey hits 200 off the tee and 170 off the fairway. Only 30 yards short.
A female bogey hits 150 and 130. They are still 120 yards short.

In essence RF, the stats you quote, although am not gonna argue with them coz I don't have other figures. There was a big piece a month or so ago re how far people actually hit there shots. It was not as far as some thought especially forum members 😉. Again those stats would definitely not apply to seniors both men and women.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
In essence RF, the stats you quote, although am not gonna argue with them coz I don't have other figures. There was a big piece a month or so ago re how far people actually hit there shots. It was not as far as some thought especially forum members 😉. Again those stats would definitely not apply to seniors both men and women.
It seems that many forum members, especially those on US based forums, hit the ball further than the average touring pro.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think the reason men aren’t allowed on the red tees at my club is they are very small compared to the men’s.
But the ladies numbers have trebled in recent years and some work may have to be done on them.

We have one hole that was lengthened two years ago and the men’s tees were pushed back a long way. 70yds.
Quite a lot of players can’t get over the ditch now so they have put a new fairway in short to lay up.
While the red tee stayed where it was it’s an 90yd carry.
Sure some of the old guys would prefer that tee.