Womens tees.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
whilst having a lovely pasta dinner on the patio with Missis T. I was boring her with today's golf stories. Mid boring story, a thought came to me. Men have white tees, and yellow tees for the seniors aka fossils. Why are there no senior womens tees.

D

Deleted member 15344

whilst having a lovely pasta dinner on the patio with Missis T. I was boring her with today's golf stories. Mid boring story, a thought came to me. Men have white tees, and yellow tees for the seniors aka fossils. Why are there no senior womens tees.
Yellow tees aren’t just for seniors

Normal set up currently is

Whites ( or full length course ) is for most Male comps

Yellow - normally the tee of the day for social , society’s, winter and some comps

Reds - Ladies

Blue - juniors or beginners

The plan for all clubs should be for all tees to be rated for both Male and female so all tees can be used for all

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not certain but would suggest that the yellow tees have been, & at many Clubs still are, the everyday tee. The Whites used to be the Competition Tee & the one used for establishing H/caps. We've moved on from that these days...... well most of us.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
In the past year I have rated black, blue, white, yellow, red and green tees. I have been told about silver and orange .
There doesn't seem to be a consistent convention except the more traditional red, yellow and white.
Green seems to be generally the shortest. Blue are either long or short. Black or blue the longest.
I have seen green, red and yellow rated for men and women. All except the black/blue longest rated for the front 9 holes (sometimes the back 9 also)

Tashyboy

Visit site
In the past year I have rated black, blue, white, yellow, red and green tees. I have been told about silver and orange .
There doesn't seem to be a consistent convention except the more traditional red, yellow and white.
Green seems to be generally the shortest. Blue are either long or short. Black or blue the longest.
I have seen green, red and yellow rated for men and women. All except the black/blue longest rated for the front 9 holes (sometimes the back 9 also)

Cheers Ruley, but am lost now 😁. I think what I am trying to say is, that at our place. You can play off what ever tees you want if you are having a knock about. But when you are 55, you can play off the yellow tees if you want to on competition days rather than play off the whites. You don't have to. But to the best of my knowledge, that option of women 55 and above, still have to play off the red tees.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Cheers Ruley, but am lost now 😁. I think what I am trying to say is, that at our place. You can play off what ever tees you want if you are having a knock about. But when you are 55, you can play off the yellow tees if you want to on competition days rather than play off the whites. You don't have to. But to the best of my knowledge, that option of women 55 and above, still have to play off the red tees.
Never heard of mixed tees in same comp based on age. We run a mixture of white and yellow tees comps throughout the season so those of advancing years can choose when to play if they don't fancy playing off the longer course

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tashy, I think women have an outdated deal full stop. Everything is off one tee, end of. Really good, red tee, old and struggling, red tee. Why do they not have the variations that we do? Historical reasons is the obvious answer. Maybe it will change with time but I can't ever remember hearing anyone ask for it.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Never heard of mixed tees in same comp based on age. We run a mixture of white and yellow tees comps throughout the season so those of advancing years can choose when to play if they don't fancy playing off the longer course
yup that's the same at ours Homer. You have the option. But do women.

D

Deleted member 15344

Tashy, I think women have an outdated deal full stop. Everything is off one tee, end of. Really good, red tee, old and struggling, red tee. Why do they not have the variations that we do? Historical reasons is the obvious answer. Maybe it will change with time but I can't ever remember hearing anyone ask for it.

All colour tees will be rated for both Male and female - it’s then up to the ladies what tees they wish to use. And the variations of one tee are from the handicap used - it’s the handicap gained from that red tee

Tashyboy

Visit site
Don't get me wrong LT. It don't affect me so why worry, but I remember playing dewsweeper at his place in warrington. Gorgeous course and it was in my eyes set up that you could hit fairways even the seniors, but senior women hmm am not to sure. Tashyboy thinks that is something that should be looked at senior women's tees.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have several majors which are honour board events open to men and women. Men play off the white plates and ladies play off the red plates so I guess having your older golfers off yellows in the same comp doesn't seems as daft although I still don't see how it can be done on age alone. If you have a half decent low handicapper over 55 then surely he's at an unfair advantage by opting to go off the forward tees?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
All colour tees will be rated for both Male and female - it’s then up to the ladies what tees they wish to use. And the variations of one tee are from the handicap used - it’s the handicap gained from that red tee
It's default for women to go off reds though. I don't know that I've ever seen a woman at a golf club, ie not a pro, play off anything other than the reds. I suspect most don't contemplate going off another tee, are they even aware it's an option?

As Tashy has commented, no skin off our noses and if they aren't complaining then I'm not going to make an issue of it. It just seems unbalanced.

D

Deleted member 15344

It's default for women to go off reds though. I don't know that I've ever seen a woman at a golf club, ie not a pro, play off anything other than the reds. I suspect most don't contemplate going off another tee, are they even aware it's an option?

As Tashy has commented, no skin off our noses and if they aren't complaining then I'm not going to make an issue of it. It just seems unbalanced.

They will be if the other tees are rated for them - but when you consider that the average age for lady golfers is pretty much senior golfers anyway and higher HC the feeling for most ladies will be to go off the red tees - also need to consider that most clubs have small tee areas and the difference between the tees won’t be huge anyway.

There will be the very low handicappers who will look to play the longer courses and off longer tees and you would hope clubs will be more welcoming to allowing ladies off the longer tees but it’s also worth remembering that many clubs only allow visitors and social golf off one tee as well

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
In essence no. They have red tees of the day and their red plates (usually at the back of the ladies tee box) but that is it in competitions I think. I don't think there are any comps in their calendar where they play anywhere else, even the mens yellow. To be honest I simply think it's a case of them not wanting to and so if the interest isn't there and they won't get any participants, whats the point?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What's stopping ladies playing off yellow tees if they want more length?

No idea and asked this before.

My mates girlfriend was the best lady golfer at our club. Got down to 6 or so and then fell out of love with the game. She would beat the rest of the women every time by about 20 shots.

Had she been able to start again handicap wise and play off the yellows with the men she may have stuck at it.

Tashyboy

Visit site
What's stopping ladies playing off yellow tees if they want more length?

Your post has given me another thought Clive. Men can play yellow, white and black tees, women have one. Don't seem much like equality to me.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

I wish, we were amongst the first to be rated in Devon and the Yellow and White were only rated for men and the reds rated for women. Went against everything I was told would happen for the WHS. Was told it was all to do with time, more to do with the old and bold who did it me thinks.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wish, we were amongst the first to be rated in Devon and the Yellow and White were only rated for men and the reds rated for women. Went against everything I was told would happen for the WHS. Was told it was all to do with time, more to do with the old and bold who did it me thinks.
He did use the future tense ....will be 🤔

Personally I believe the ratings will be expanded over time but probably not to the extent of all tees to both genders.

Fwiw we initially proposed to rate both 5700 and 6000yd courses for ladies but were told the 6000 wasn't wanted. The issue has now been re-opened But, in much the same way as all the rubbish posted in threads on here (and elsewhere) over the years regarding competition tees and real handicaps etc the matter carries huge baggage across a wide range of players.

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that for the vast majority of courses the red tees are set up to accomadate senior ladies - the real issue (threat) is seen (by some) as the use of more challenging tees. The focus tends to come from generally smaller fields/memberships which make it difficult to move away from the lowest common denominator.