Education time for Tashyboy

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Played in an 18 stableford yesterday and won my division with 38 points and got a nice little 0.7 cut.
Anyway the guy that came second overall shot 41 points. With our new scoring stystem I had a look around scores and what not and he got his initial hcap in March having put in three cards. Last card was an 85, so he got an initial hcap of 12. That was playing off yellow tees. He since played in one 18 hole seniors comp and after a discussion with a club pro, it was agreed his hcap was to low and he was put on 14. Can you do that.
However since that point, he has played all his comps off the white tees and yesterday smashed it for 41 points ( with a Mr Blobby in there) which got him a nice cut, plus an exceptional play cut of 0.5. His hcap is now 11.7. Which kinda tells me the initial hcap of 12 was correct. So am a bit puzzled how a system that's in place can be questioned, what's the idea behind that.
what also puzzled me was the overall winner shot 42 points playing off 6 but he never got an exceptional play cut. Why's that.
Cheers me dears.

D

Deleted member 15344

1. Yes you can adjust someone’s initial HC , when an initial HC is given you are supposed to monitor it to ensure it’s the correct allocation

2. An exceptional score reduction is given when a player scores well in two comps within a specific time period - it’s not just for one good Comp score

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It's not unreasonable to question initial handicap allocation. These (super dry conditions) are unusual and it's possible/likely that his genuine peers are still at 14-ish! The cut he got for getting 2nd should correct any glitch, though I wonder whether his previous record had been looked at. I'm puzzled why he got an exceptional play cut though - that would take 2 rounds to be triggered. Is the club getting too involved by making an assessment rather than simply letting actual scores determine the initial 'cap?

My understanding is that Exceptional Cuts can't take a Cat2 into Cat1 - merely reduce to 5.5. And, again, it thates 2 exceptional scores to trigger the cut.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played in an 18 stableford yesterday and won my division with 38 points and got a nice little 0.7 cut.
Anyway the guy that came second overall shot 41 points. With our new scoring stystem I had a look around scores and what not and he got his initial hcap in March having put in three cards. Last card was an 85, so he got an initial hcap of 12. That was playing off yellow tees. He since played in one 18 hole seniors comp and after a discussion with a club pro, it was agreed his hcap was to low and he was put on 14. Can you do that.
However since that point, he has played all his comps off the white tees and yesterday smashed it for 41 points ( with a Mr Blobby in there) which got him a nice cut, plus an exceptional play cut of 0.5. His hcap is now 11.7. Which kinda tells me the initial hcap of 12 was correct. So am a bit puzzled how a system that's in place can be questioned, what's the idea behind that.
what also puzzled me was the overall winner shot 42 points playing off 6 but he never got an exceptional play cut. Why's that.
Cheers me dears.

I'm struggling to see how your Pro comes into the equation. Your Club Committee is required to appoint a Handicap Committee with a minimum of 3 persons to deal with such matters as initial handicap allocation and monitoring of newly allocated handicaps.

Tashyboy

Visit site
I'm struggling to see how your Pro comes into the equation. Your Club Committee is required to appoint a Handicap Committee with a minimum of 3 persons to deal with such matters as initial handicap allocation and monitoring of newly allocated handicaps.

This is something I cannot get me head around Jim. The new scoring system we have now, I was not a fan of it initially with its glitches but it is growing on me. When I was playing around with it earlier, it categorically said that " after consulting with Mr pro (and it mentions said persons name, so I will have a natter with them next Tuesday) It was agreed that his initial hcap was to low so was readjusted to 14". What I thought was odd was why play off yellow to get an initial hcap and then play off whites? Was that why hcap was adjusted?
I thought it was odd he had another 0.5 cut for exceptional play when it was his first exceptional play and the winner didn't when it was his first.
As ave been sat mulling over all this, a PP played in an 18 hole NQ comp in Nov and asked if his hcap could be looked at as he shot a 43. He was cut 2 shots so he was chuffed to bits. So I should of realised it can be questioned but this has stumped me a bit.
Cheers me duck.
PS, Jim, played with a young lad called Nathan yesterday who is a member at your place and works in the shop. Lovely kid who smashed it for 38 points.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
This is something I cannot get me head around Jim. The new scoring system we have now, I was not a fan of it initially with its glitches but it is growing on me. When I was playing around with it earlier, it categorically said that " after consulting with Mr pro (and it mentions said persons name, so I will have a natter with them next Tuesday) It was agreed that his initial hcap was to low so was readjusted to 14". What I thought was odd was why play off yellow to get an initial hcap and then play off whites? Was that why hcap was adjusted?
I thought it was odd he had another 0.5 cut for exceptional play when it was his first exceptional play and the winner didn't when it was his first.
As ave been sat mulling over all this, a PP played in an 18 hole NQ comp in Nov and asked if his hcap could be looked at as he shot a 43. He was cut 2 shots so he was chuffed to bits. So I should of realised it can be questioned but this has stumped me a bit.
Cheers me duck.
PS, Jim, played with a young lad called Nathan yesterday who is a member at your place and works in the shop. Lovely kid who smashed it for 38 points.

which new scoring system is this?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

It does seem that your Handicap 'Committee' may be making some dodgy decisions/liberties, though, presumably, with good intentions! Congu Handicapping attempts to apply the same procedures throughout the UK, albeit with agreed differences in certain areas. One of those is that only scores from Qualifying Comps or Supplementary Rounds can be used to adjust handicaps! That way handicaps from one club should directly equate to those of another. If those rules are ignored, then the entire system becomes flawed, though it may seem ok within the club applying 'illegal' cuts!

It'll be different from 2020, with 'every card (possibly) counting', but that'll be across the entire UK, so still 'consistent'!

Oh, and Intelligent Golf (as opposed to the likes of Club2000/HDIDo) is only, amongst other things, a method of/system for recording/calculating/reporting comp results and handicaps. It's the Congu Rules that define how this should be done. The results from either method/system should be identical, though the User Interfaces are signficantly different - IG being far superior imo!

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Visit site
Foxy I am hoping that I will find out a bit more on Tuesday. I have no complaints RE what has gone off. It's more to do with my education than anything else. Bits that have been mentioned re 2 X good rounds for an exceptional cut etc. I knew about, but coz this is a bit differant am a bit confused.