Women’s golf

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Is it now up there with the mens ?
It’s certainly close and I have to admit to watching it more or at least as much as mens golf.
The new prize funds and coverage will certainly help but to me it’s as good as mens anyway and in some ways preferable or as good.
Thoughts
Nope. Never watch it. Not even close in terms of interest. Couldn't tell you a single major winner

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I was actually
But as I said you seem to have a reputation for just adding nothing in an effort to be contentious.
Sorry if that’s an observation that doesn’t suit you but you know , hey ho.
That's a strange take, I find LiverpoolPhil one of the better posters.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is also a no from me I'm afraid. Great if people do want to watch it, crack on, but I find it dull. I appreciate as a training exercise it is far more useful than watching the mens tour but as others have pointed out, I don't watch pro golf it to learn how to hit a 350yd drive or a booming draw around a tree. I watch it for fun, to go wow and be inspired. I don't get that from the ladies game.

There is also a bit of chicken and egg, I don't know many of the players on the ladies tour so I can't hook onto players near the top. That automatically makes watching less exciting. The only way to get around that is to watch more but I don't find it interesting enough to do that.............

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
@SwingsitlikeHogan I saw Lottie win the Welsh Am on my home course. Really super player, anyone who says that isn't good golf is missing something.

@Lord Tyrion has a point about the less you know the players, the less interesting it is. That's true of the minor events on the Mens' Tour too.

The remedy? Watch more of it!!;)

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Enjoy the Ladies golf, when I was going out with Mo is was a must watch ? as she was able to give me all the Goss having not long come off the Tour and coaching the Curtis Cup team.
Last Spring was watching a men's event and commentators mentioned about left hand low putting and that if Jack Nicklaus was starting over he'd go left hand low.
After that gave it a good go last season and dropped my handicap.Think it was Fundy who asked the question

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Enjoy watching the ladies golf on occasion. Went to the Ladies Masters at Woburn when Shibuno won it, followed here around for the final round, was good golf to watch. Whilst the ladies don't bomb it as far as the men, some of them can bomb past most of us. We all recognize good shots when we hack around, the ladies play a lot more, better shots than we do, something to aspire to. I get that not knowing the players makes it less interesting, but it's not difficult to pick a couple of names and then get interested.

D

Deleted member 21258

Watch quite a bit of it, as its free on youtube and dont have sky.

Watching players like Nelly, Jessica, Alexi, Inbee, Pajaree, Brooke and the list goes on, is nothing like my game and cant really learn much from such players tbh, they are light years away from a hacker like me.

I particularly like the power hitters, which is slowly taking over the womens game and some are being forced to up their games, for example Lydia Ko, uplifting her speed last year(or was it the year before!).

Great to watch.

sunshine

Visit site
Live - I find women's golf really enjoyable. Usually go to an event every year, it's more accessible than men's golf.

The downside is that the courses are set up too easy. For the Women's Open at Woburn, they were largely playing off the yellow tees, pins weren't generally too tricky. This means that players with slow swing speeds can get away with just patting it down the fairway, it's why they are so straight. The men's game is more entertaining because the players need to take more risks and pull off shots that are thrilling to us amateurs.

Visit site
I like watching the womens golf from time to time - although that seems a stretch to lady outcast......raised suspicions ;)
I also like watching the mens college golf on Golf Channel - that seems more acceptable (but also a stretch)
...but apparently my occasional watching of college girls golf is completely unacceptable :p

D

Deleted member 1147

I know most of the bigger names, and enjoy watching it. But, just like the men's game, it's too bloody slow!
It is nothing like men's amateur golf, so I simply don't understand the idea that male am's could learn more from it, than they do the men's game.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This article just dropped in my mailbox this morning. Interesting timing for this chat, and a reasonably interesting read.

How would a scratch golfer fare against LPGA pros? Now we know: not well.

I struggle with these articles and wish they wouldn't do a comparison. On their day could a scratch handicapper compete with an LPGA tour player not at their best then probably yes. Could they do it week in, week out or go as low as the LPGA tour players when on fire then I would strongly expect not as the handicapper is playing at their maximum when they are 69/70 perhaps.

Do I think the scratch handicapper would cope as well against a PGA player - no, they'd probably lose out substantially on power and there is more strength in depth so less likely to be competitive. However, you never know you may get them on their bad day.

Do I think taking 4 rounds and comparing it to the best player at that tournament is the best way to form that article then no, as quite clearly, you're not going to take Fish or Lowe's rounds over those 4 days and say they are a better golfer than Nordqvist. I also think the argument (how do they compare to a man) doesn't impact whether or not I think they are great to watch and put on an entertaining spectacle as personally think it's great to watch and playing at the highest level for their gender.

sunshine

Visit site
I like watching the womens golf from time to time - although that seems a stretch to lady outcast......raised suspicions ;)
I also like watching the mens college golf on Golf Channel - that seems more acceptable (but also a stretch)
...but apparently my occasional watching of college girls golf is completely unacceptable :p

Most videos that start with the phrase "college girls" are completely unacceptable family viewing :LOL:

sunshine

Visit site
This article just dropped in my mailbox this morning. Interesting timing for this chat, and a reasonably interesting read.

How would a scratch golfer fare against LPGA pros? Now we know: not well.

Very timely and a good share (y)

That article is using a very small sample size to prove its point: A scratch golfer finished +7, and the winner Kang finished -16, so 23 shots off over 4 days. Therefore LPGA pros are better than amateurs.

But Mirim Lee and Michelle Wie both finished +20... that's 13 shots behind the amateur scratch golfer. In fact he beat 6 LPGA pros... And this is the tournament of champions featuring a smaller elite field. Maybe he would have beaten a lot more in a full field event. Basically it proves nothing.

Crumplezone

Visit site
I don't get to see much women's golf on the TV as I don't have SKY. Thought I'd probably watch women's golf in preference. I don't know why anyone says it's dull. Pace of play and skill are no worse than the men's game. We go to watch the Women's Open every year and it's always a great day out.

D

Deleted member 21258

I don't get to see much women's golf on the TV as I don't have SKY. Thought I'd probably watch women's golf in preference. I don't know why anyone says it's dull. Pace of play and skill are no worse than the men's game. We go to watch the Women's Open every year and it's always a great day out.

Assuming you have a smart tv or like, womens golf is often shown free on Skys Youtube channel(link below, and the old tournaments are there, there most recent was from the yesterday btw) :-

Sky Sports Golf - YouTube