Women’s golf

D

Deleted member 15344

I was actually
But as I said you seem to have a reputation for just adding nothing in an effort to be contentious.
Sorry if that’s an observation that doesn’t suit you but you know , hey ho.
Edit : Not worth it - enjoy your golf ?️

Last edited by a moderator:

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Definitely been watching a lot more women's golf in the last year. Very entertaining and on several occasions I've chosen to press the red button and follow the LPGA rather than the men's tournament.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Actually I’ve only been on this forum five minutes and it seems your name crops up with pointless contentious replies all the time
To be fair you asked for thoughts and Phil gave you his.

The womens game is nowhere near the mens.
But the mens game is played by robotic golfers bar a few.
It’s not worth watching most of the time unless on a classic course or a major.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not for me - it’s nowhere close , it’s lacks excitement , any thrills , and pace to it ,

A lot will say it’s more relatable - and it is - because it’s a lot closer to our game than the Mens Pro Tour

Tried to watch a few times and it’s painful - the Solhiem is just about watchable
Yeah, not for me either. I don't really know any of the players so they're all much of a muchness and it's harder to care. I prefer to watch players I've heard of and know what they're about.

That said, I've never given a chance thus far. I just feel it would take me a long time to get into and I'm never going to devote that time to it.

Actually I’ve only been on this forum five minutes and it seems your name crops up with pointless contentious replies all the time
Far be it for me to stick up for Phil but this was massively uncalled for. All he did was disagree with your opinion!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We amateurs would learn more about tempo and the golf swing watching the ladies play than ever we could watching DeChambeau swinging himself off his feet every week.
I certainly learn more about the swing watching ladies golf, and it's refreshing to watch golf where they don't spit.

Might just be me but I dont watch pro golf (or other pro sport) to learn (and Id love to know what anyone has actually learnt and managed to use in their game from watching pro golf on tv)

Give me Stenson v Lefty down the stretch etc

Boomy

Visit site
Far be it for me to stick up for Phil but this was massively uncalled for. All he did was disagree with your opinion!

Far be it from me to point out but that is a bit rich coming from you, as you had a little sarcastic snipe at one of Phil’s comments last week (can’t remember which thread I seen it on)

Boomy

Visit site
Might just be me but I dont watch pro golf (or other pro sport) to learn (and Id love to know what anyone has actually learnt and managed to use in their game from watching pro golf on tv)

I don’t watch it to learn either, but you can definitely relate to the professional ladies game much more than the mens. They plot there way round much more, rather than trying to smash the driver regardless of where it ends up. I enjoy watching the European golf best, that is definitely more relatable than the US target practice -34 stuff. The Abu Dhabi tournament was superb on Saturday when the wind was up, really challenged the players - great to watch (and the coverage was really good)

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I find it painful and dull to watch. Just boring straight down the middle golf. They never miss.
Theres something exiting about watching Phil hook one 300 yards into the cabbage then drill one knee hight under loads of trees. I mean how many women have you seen play of the restaurant floor of a grandstand?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site

It's their tempo that I have found useful to adopt. I used to play Sunday league football in goal, and would often tape, watch and rewind MOTD to learn from the goalkeepers' mistakes, positioning, etc.
As for giving you Lefty and Stenson, why do you have to choose? You can watch both. ?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I find it painful and dull to watch. Just boring straight down the middle golf. They never miss.
Theres something exiting about watching Phil hook one 300 yards into the cabbage then drill one knee hight under loads of trees. I mean how many women have you seen play of the restaurant floor of a grandstand?

I remember and old quote.
Golf would be a really boring game if we hit every shot straight.

Boomy

Visit site
I remember and old quote.
Golf would be a really boring game if we hit every shot straight.

You’ve both probably (possibly/maybe) not watched it for quite some time, it has moved on a fair bit from the days when Cecil Leitch played. The TV coverage is much better too ?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
To watch live and follow round I find it so much better for the usual reasons like tempo, rhythm and slightly more in line with what most of us do but also for the lack of fuss and hullabaloo. Went to the 2013 Women's Open at St Andrews and there were just the right amount of people there, could get on most tees and hear what they were saying to their caddies.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
It is what it is.

I see little point in comparing it.

Go watch your county amateur championship later this year, if you like watching golf.
You will see a very good standard of golf being played. You will probably just walk on to the course for free, if you behave yourself. And get some fresh air and exercise.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The 17yr old England Ladies 2021 and England Girls 2021 Amateur Orders of Merit winner (she's both) is a member of my place. A few weeks ago I had a knock round with her off our men's back tees.

She's awesome. Her focus is incredible...even when faced with playing with an old git like me. And her golf...☺

I played well and knocked it round in 6 over gross. Said to her as we walked off 18 that I guessed she was level...she gave me a little smile and said "4 under". Well of course she was...she only missed two greens and only then not far off the fringe. And these putts she calmly knocked in from 12ft...birdies of course - not saves. And I had sensed as we'd played that she had left quite a few shots out there - she could easy have been 6 or 7 under.

Thing is that as far as she hits it, and she can hit it a mile, I could still, in a way, relate to her. What absolutely I'm a country mile from was her course management and accuracy, knowing exactly what shot she wanted to play and then almost always executing it perfectly. What's her HI? -5.3...her CH round our track is -6 ☺.

It was a great pleasure to watch her play and see her level of skill.

Last edited: