Women’s professional golf - does anyone care?

D

Deleted member 16999

I'm not saying anything about the LET scheduling anything. All my scheduling points are about the Ladies US tour and that simply avoiding a schedule clash with the mens US Tour is surely going to be good the Ladies US Tour.

And if they can garner a UK / European audience with the likes of Georgia Hall, Charley Hull etc. out there, then that's only going to improve their sponsorship opportunities and assist with them getting a UK broadcaster on board.
I’ve not said anything about LET scheduling events! You mentioned the US Ladies Tour avoiding scheduling clashes with mens events, my response is to the fact the US Ladies Tour is very succesful at what they do and why should they change anything.
We/LET should be concentrating on growing the game in Europe and increasing female participation by learning from the US, not discussing how the US Tour can make themselves more succesful.

D

Deleted member 21258

Am likely to start going to womens event golf (rather than the mens) from 2020, as the cost is just getting silly to goto the mens games .

Whilst I prefer to watch the best of the best, the flip side and more important is that I just like watching golf.

If womens golf was on normally telly(as don't have sky) or iplayer/red button, then I would watch it for sure.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Why have men got to do all this “fighting” for women’s golf?

Why should anyone do anything that doesn't directly benefit them and their agenda?
Because it's the right thing to do.

And they aren't fighting for woman's golf; they would be fighting for their daughters, granddaughters, girlfriends, wives, sisters, friends.

And of course, making a stance against Augusta doesn't impact the guys who are fighting for their tour card, the guys who are in the Masters already have their tour card.
My main point being that it shouldn't take a boycott, or the threat of a breakaway to come up with the perfectly reasonable situation of having a Ladies US Masters.

And as a golf fan, I would love to watch a Ladies US Masters and its an event that would certainly have commercial viability, if the dinosaurs at Augusta could stand to have 100 woman playing their course in the same week.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Why are people saying the standard isn't as high? Just because they don't hit it as far? I would disagree. Pre qualifying for LET final Q school is currently taking place in Morocco and after 3 rounds the leader was 19 under.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Why are people saying the standard isn't as high? Just because they don't hit it as far? I would disagree. Pre qualifying for LET final Q school is currently taking place in Morocco and after 3 rounds the leader was 19 under.

If you can’t watch both and see that objectively the men’s game is of a higher standard, then I don’t think you’re being honest.

D

Deleted member 16999

Why should anyone do anything that doesn't directly benefit them and their agenda?
Because it's the right thing to do.

And they aren't fighting for woman's golf; they would be fighting for their daughters, granddaughters, girlfriends, wives, sisters, friends.

And of course, making a stance against Augusta doesn't impact the guys who are fighting for their tour card, the guys who are in the Masters already have their tour card.
My main point being that it shouldn't take a boycott, or the threat of a breakaway to come up with the perfectly reasonable situation of having a Ladies US Masters.

And as a golf fan, I would love to watch a Ladies US Masters and its an event that would certainly have commercial viability, if the dinosaurs at Augusta could stand to have 100 woman playing their course in the same week.
Rubbish, how would forcing Augusta into having a Ladies Masters increase female participation in golf in the UK?
Amanda has it spot on, and until we change the mindset of the majority of Clubs in the UK and the majority of men seeing women on the course as an irritant, participation won’t change.

The LET has to go out and aggressively find more sponsorship and increase the profile, relying on others to do it isn’t working.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Short game (apart from a few) are still a long way behind the mens game (IMO) although generally improving. The general standard of the overall game is still incredible though!

D

Deleted member 16999

Why does it have to be compared to the men’s game though?
It needs to stand alone and stop being knocked backwards by the constant comparison to the men.
Football/Rugby/Cricket have all developed their own identity and grown in stature.
The governing bodies are equal and the females in those sports are being used as role models rather than simply models(except for the french).

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Rubbish, how would forcing Augusta into having a Ladies Masters increase female participation in golf in the UK?
Amanda has it spot on, and until we change the mindset of the majority of Clubs in the UK and the majority of men seeing women on the course as an irritant, participation won’t change.

The LET has to go out and aggressively find more sponsorship and increase the profile, relying on others to do it isn’t working.

Please stop mentioning the LET to me. I'm sure they are trying very hard to find sponsorship. But I have said much earlier in this thread that there is no point in flogging that horse if it is terminal. America and Korea is where it's at and Pro female golfers will have to commit to that reality, and they can still have a great career and make a good living.

As for a Ladies US Masters, how could it harm female participation in golf anywhere, never mind the UK?
Doing that, doesn't mean that other changes still can't happen. Added to that, it's the right thing to do and removes a bit more control from the sexist and elitist Augusta National tournament committee.

If you don't see a case for having such an event, then you are part of the problem.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Why does it have to be compared to the men’s game though?
It needs to stand alone and stop being knocked backwards by the constant comparison to the men.
Football/Rugby/Cricket have all developed their own identity and grown in stature.
The governing bodies are equal and the females in those sports are being used as role models rather than simply models(except for the french).

Why shouldn't they have some events that are the same or similar?

Why shouldn't they play on the same courses?

Like I said, there would clearly be interest in a Ladies US Masters, and there are literally no valid reasons for not having it - other than sexism.

D

Deleted member 16999

Please stop mentioning the LET to me. I'm sure they are trying very hard to find sponsorship. But I have said much earlier in this thread that there is no point in flogging that horse if it is terminal. America and Korea is where it's at and Pro female golfers will have to commit to that reality, and they can still have a great career and make a good living.

As for a Ladies US Masters, how could it harm female participation in golf anywhere, never mind the UK?
Doing that, doesn't mean that other changes still can't happen. Added to that, it's the right thing to do and removes a bit more control from the sexist and elitist Augusta National tournament committee.

If you don't see a case for having such an event, then you are part of the problem.
I suggest you re-read the op, it’s about the demise of the LET.
Talking about the Far East or USA will not help in any way, shape or form get a young girl living in Newcastle get into golf.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I think some of you need a reality check about the standard of womens' golf. Did any of you see the skins game years ago when Sorenstam took on 3 of the mens Major winners that year and guess what....she played off the same tees and beat them!

They might give up 30 yards off the tee but every other part of their game is as good as the men.

Edit; Apologies just googled it, she actually came 2nd behind Couples but she beat Mickelson and O'Meara.

D

Deleted member 16999

Why shouldn't they have some events that are the same or similar?

Why shouldn't they play on the same courses?

Like I said, there would clearly be interest in a Ladies US Masters, and there are literally no valid reasons for not having it - other than sexism.
Q. Who would get the credit for Augusta allowing a Ladies Masters?
A. Men

Q. What sex would be the majority watching the Ladies Masters?
A. Men

Q. Who benefits the most from this event?
A. Men(plus 100 women)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I saw a bit about the challenge tour yesterday, and the prize money wasn't good. LET prize money is on a par with it, may be better. If the LET was viewed as a feeder tour, then it would probably survive as it is, but they need to stop trying to be something it cannot be. It is never going to provide a fortune for those playing in it.

D

Deleted member 16999

I think some of you need a reality check about the standard of womens' golf. Did any of you see the skins game years ago when Sorenstam took on 3 of the mens Major winners that year and guess what....she played off the same tees and beat them!

They might give up 30 yards off the tee but every other part of their game is as good as the men.
Agreed, the issue isn’t standard it’s the perception.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Firstly, let me say I watch women's golf when it's on, and I find it quite enjoyable. As others have said it's more relatable to my game, and I can learn more from how they play. However, I think there are many factors at play, as to why it struggles, a lot covered by Imurg.

I think the acceptance of women's sport is slowly improving, but it's a long slow journey, and hopefully, girls are encouraged into sports more, and future generations see less of a gap.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I will confess to preferring to watch the pro ladies over the pro men when it comes to watching golf in the flesh. The women’s game is so much more relative to my own game than the 400 yard bomb it men.
My wife and daughters won’t watch golf on the tv, men or women, but they loved watching the women at the Women’s Open when Stupples won it at Sunningdale.
I do think though that the current bunch of South East Asian players are so much more automatic and characterless than players of the past, likewise the times some of the women’s games tack is beyond slow.
If they wanted to bring women’s golf back to the masses, it needs to be on terrestrial tv so that the younger person has a chance of being snagged.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Edit; Apologies just googled it, she actually came 2nd behind Couples but she beat Mickelson and O'Meara.
Exception rather than the rule!!!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Q. Who would get the credit for Augusta allowing a Ladies Masters?
A. Men

Q. What sex would be the majority watching the Ladies Masters?
A. Men

Q. Who benefits the most from this event?
A. Men(plus 100 women)

Oh my.
That is not an argument for anything, far less the status quo.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Exception rather than the rule!!!
If you think that then I'm afraid that just highlights how little you know about women's golf.

Another example, the ladies English amateur was held at my club a few years ago and I watched the final. The winner stiffed a bunker shot on the 13th to a flag position where the green ran downhill from her, it was virtually an impossible shot and holed a downhill putt on the 15th that I have never seen a member get anywhere close to holing. That girl is currently trying to get her your card but is struggling as the standard is so high.

Last edited by a moderator: