Golf Sixes

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Whydowedoit

Hacker
Visit site
I would argue that bringing the British Masters forward to May would be better. Sky & the Tour do a very good job of being accessible to all at that tournament. The trouble with the British Masters is that its too late in the year & any interest gained is subsequently lost through the onset of winter. If it were in May there would be so many more positives. For instance there could be "kids meet the players" events in the evening as its light enough. Combine the ideas from the sixes within the framework of a real tournament.

D

Deleted member 23344

I think the ET are trying to sell something that you can't buy, at least in that form.
It's like going to a car dealer, taking a test drive in a 1.1 poverty model but only being able to buy the V12 Supercharged one..
Little Johnny and Mary get taken to Golf6s and have a great time. Brilliant, nobody can argue with that.
It's Bank Holiday Monday and it's glorious weather. Johnny and Mary want to go and play Golf6s.......
Where do they go?
Where can they play it.
There are few short par 3 courses around that suit complete beginners or kids. And trying to go out on the local Muni front 9 isn't going to work.
It's all very well attracting kids to the game but you have to provide somewhere suitable for them to play.
I'd rather they spent the money that provided the Golf6s on building these short courses.
Having said all that, if the event has turned a few onto golf then it's only a good thing. I'm just not convinced its going to bring in people who want to play golf rather than Golf6s - a different game...

My thoughts entirely.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would argue that bringing the British Masters forward to May would be better. Sky & the Tour do a very good job of being accessible to all at that tournament. The trouble with the British Masters is that its too late in the year & any interest gained is subsequently lost through the onset of winter. If it were in May there would be so many more positives. For instance there could be "kids meet the players" events in the evening as its light enough. Combine the ideas from the sixes within the framework of a real tournament.
don’t see it happening, because the US PGA will be in May next year so I’d imagine any of the top players will be in the states preparing.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think the ET are trying to sell something that you can't buy, at least in that form.
It's like going to a car dealer, taking a test drive in a 1.1 poverty model but only being able to buy the V12 Supercharged one..
Little Johnny and Mary get taken to Golf6s and have a great time. Brilliant, nobody can argue with that.
It's Bank Holiday Monday and it's glorious weather. Johnny and Mary want to go and play Golf6s.......
Where do they go?
Where can they play it.
There are few short par 3 courses around that suit complete beginners or kids. And trying to go out on the local Muni front 9 isn't going to work.
It's all very well attracting kids to the game but you have to provide somewhere suitable for them to play.
I'd rather they spent the money that provided the Golf6s on building these short courses.
Having said all that, if the event has turned a few onto golf then it's only a good thing. I'm just not convinced its going to bring in people who want to play golf rather than Golf6s - a different game...

When I watched Wimbledon as a kid, it inspired me to go hit a tennis ball against a wall. I didn’t need a tournament of 5 set matches to allow me to replicate it.

When I watched the Open, my dad took me to the range to play. I didn’t need an 18 holes course to walk out on.

Golf sixes just shows golf can be fun and inspire them to try at a driving range or par 3. And perhaps on the side it challenges the perception it always needs to be an 18 hole round... perhaps 9 will do.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’d also add that it’s quite remarkable to create the interest and crowd numbers given the 32 player rankings aren’t the highest. You’d not get that if those 32 played a normal 4 day strokeplay.

RW1986

Head Pro
Visit site
Where do they go?
Where can they play it.

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2018/tournamentid=2018038/news/newsid=344463.html

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally, the Golf 6's I find a bit mickey mouse but I understand the sentiments to try and bring younger persons into the game.
As has been said, the muni courses are being shut down and even some ranges too. However the biggest "fun" game that brings new people into the game is pitch and putt, I know it's where I first got the interest. But these are also being closed down. P&P is better at bringing young people into the game, and miles cheaper as well.
Perhaps it's a snobbery thing and looked down on by "real "golfers, but its the cheap and fun way to introduce kids into the game, but with so many closing there wont be that easy, quick and fun option to try the game without feeling pressured or looked down on.

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
This is a carbon copy of a thread from this time last year.

The purists on this forum need to realise that for the sixes format, you are not the target market. It's no wonder you don't like it.

It's aimed at people who don't currently play and it's trying to break down barriers to get new golfers involved. I.e. throw off the stuffy image, in which respect it seems to have succeeded.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

The purists on this forum need to realise that for the sixes format, you are not the target market. It's no wonder you don't like it.

It's aimed at people who don't currently play and it's trying to break down barriers to get new golfers involved. I.e. throw off the stuffy image, in which respect it seems to have succeeded.

watched a little bit from now and then. Didn't do anything for me but as you say - I am not the target audience. I don't need convincing that golf is a hellish game :)

Radbourne2010

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mmksolutions.co.uk
IMG_0687.jpgIMG_0689.jpgIMG_0695.jpg
Having spent Finals Day on Sunday at Centurion Club I can only commend the event. The golfing purists (probably 80% of the Form guys) will have little or no interest in the event but that's the point. Average age pf the spectators was under 30. Families showed up with pushchairs & buggies for a day out in the sun. There were multiple things for kids of all ages & abilities to get stuck into away from the golf (Tennis serve, cricket batting machine, basketball, American Golf set-up clinics, nearest the pin & longest drive comps, a band played most of the day in Tented Village, music played on the Range & we weren't told to switch off mobiles, stop talking, don't do this or that at every opportunity by Stewards & Marshalls.
In fact, the Final Groups (3rd Place Play-off & Final) had around 500 spectators walking the fairways with them. The 1st Tee was like a jamboree with kids everywhere, smoke machines, music & hand clapping. Despite all that Dunne stiffed it to 3' to win the hole for Ireland. Great Theatre!

The dates are thus as all the top European players will be in USA playing or practicing for the Players Championship the week after. There is a logical gap in ET Calendar & this fills it perfectly. I'm guessing the spectator count at Wentworth this year will be higher than ever with a number of families attending for the 1st time on the back of this experience.

Bravo to ET for seeing this project through :thup: They could have wilted after last year's event but instead tweaked the format so it flowed better. Bringing the Ladies in made it even better for all concerned, especially as they managed to compete adequately with their male counterparts.

I for one will be back next year. I'm just sorry this wasn't around when my son was 8-9 years old.
https://youtu.be/mpvBjQFB7oo[/video]

Senseicads

Assistant Pro
Visit site

The problem with that is that it is on sky golf. you need to be a subscriber to that channel and to do that you'd already need an interest. If it was on terrestrial I'd agree.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The problem with that is that it is on sky golf. you need to be a subscriber to that channel and to do that you'd already need an interest. If it was on terrestrial I'd agree.

Perfect for World of Sport - where is the successor to the great Dickie Davies when you need him/her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmH8msZXdGg

warning - some might find his live mistake a bit offensive...but it is very funny. And whilst I'm at it...ah the days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWxcx4msBMA

Last edited: